Verified Member
Race to 3. Games nodded at 2-2.

Player "B" is at the table.

WWYD?

1.jpg

:)

bstroud

Verified Member
I'm shooting in the 6 ball and going 3 rails for position on the 7 ball.

Bill S.

vapros

I'm crossing the stripe by the short rail, pocket speed, inside english. It's a good shot, and if I make it I will like my options. If I don't, I will leave it close, and not give up a shot.

Billy Stroud's shot does not tempt me, because I don't shoot as straight as he does.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
I am banking the stripe near the end rail. This is a relative easy bank that with a little draw you can get much better position on the 6.:cool: You also can go with a little extra spin rotating the cue ball two rails behind the six. On either shot it is important not to leave a shot on the eight. The draw leaves you closer to the six than does the spin and you have better control of your cue ball. I might make one or two balls from here, a good run these days.:frus

Will eat Wincadona burgers for a spot

one pocket guy

Verified Member
Power shot

Power shot

I would shoot the 7 into @ a third of the left side of the 8 banking it to my hole and sending the 7 into the stack sending more that way all the while drawing whitey up to the head rail:D

Mkbtank

Verified Member
WWYD - Player "A" v Player "B"

I would shoot the 7 into @ a third of the left side of the 8 banking it to my hole and sending the 7 into the stack sending more that way all the while drawing whitey up to the head rail:D

That's crazy. That's why it was my shot too :) :). I love that shot. Plays right to draw and hold the cue by his long rail while pushing a lot of balls towards my/our hole.

Island Drive

Verified Member
I like bankin' the 14 with horizontal 3 o'clock cue ball. I'll have great control of the cue ball speed allowing me to land ''on'' the head rail, and lag roll the 11by the pocket (not trying to make it). This will force my opponent to remove the 11 and from there my cue ball position could easily improve my position on the return shot. Diamond tables lengthen out the 3 rail shape on the cut of the six, and cue ball speed needed to come three around' could allow the six to tit bank towards opponents pocket.

lll

Verified Member
That's crazy. That's why it was my shot too :) :). I love that shot. Plays right to draw and hold the cue by his long rail while pushing a lot of balls towards my/our hole.
why not put alittle follow on it to land around the first diamond on the side rail towards the foot rail using the stack to hide the balls you pushed to your side
why go to the head rail and leave him a view of the balls by your hole???:confused:
mitch we are on the same page to leave the cue ball
we differ on tip placement to get there
at the table we would agree....:)

LSJohn

Verified Member
I like that, but I didn't see it. I was wondering whether the angle would let me shoot the 7 into the outside of the 8 and drift the cue ball into the stack but yours is definitely better even if mine lays right.

I like banking the stripe too.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
I believe there is a very real possibility of winning this game outright!
Bank the stripe ball using high left hand English and send the cue ball two rails to establish a small angle on the six ball. From this point it would be possible to break the stack open enough to possibly find a third shot. Who knows, by even slightly disturbing the stack, you could very well come up with a very good angle for another break shot or create a dead ball within the stack. You would have to be a bit lucky to have this happen but I couldn't begin to count how many times little things like that have worked out in my favor and a run out from nowhere is manufactured.

By using two rails for position on the six you give yourself the best opportunity to get the proper angle needed for the six. I'm always looking for a good break ball in situations just like this. The six is not a great break ball here but it could be good enough to get the job done.

Tom

This is what it might look like (post #12)

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member

I kind of like over cutting the six and going back into the pack with a natural ball since it's so safe and easy, and letting the stripe stay and work as an ally for me with the six. I also like the way the 10-2-12 and 9 are lined up and may do a similar type shot on him later,sending the nine over toward my pocket, if he leaves me in a certain place. I like staying more in control if I can...

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
I like Tom's shot, not real sure you can get the CB to where he has it ending up. I figured the CB would be more on the end rail than in the middle of the table. On the end rail you don't leave a shot on the 8. ---Smitty

mr3cushion

Suspended
Ditto, what Smitty said, He may be right, the delicate touch it will take to leave "whitey" in line for the 6 ball.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
I like Tom's shot, not real sure you can get the CB to where he has it ending up. I figured the CB would be more on the end rail than in the middle of the table. On the end rail you don't leave a shot on the 8. ---Smitty
I just set the shot up here on my table. I placed the cue ball approx. 1.5 diamonds from the side rail and just outside the second diamond from the back rail. The object ball I placed a full ball's width inside the first diamond from the side rail and just inside a half diamond from the back rail. Others may disagree with these positions but I think they are pretty close.

I had no trouble executing the shot and getting the cue ball fairly close to the position I described in the diagram. With a fair amount of left hand english the shot was a natural with pocket speed. But even if I were off in my measurements, this shot can still be accomplished by allowing the cue ball to run three rails instead of two. Mr. 3cushion can show you the path for that three rail play.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
WWYD - Player "A" v Player "B"

You know, I agree also Tom. I like your shot better than mine. That stripe is almost impossible to pass up. It's a layup to at a minimum to maintain control of the table since, even if you miss it, there is only the combo left for him and the stripe will be by my hole. With my shot good things could happen, but I'm not sure where everything is going and could get unlucky and leave a bank. Looking again at the score (2-2 in a race to 3) this is not the best time to take the risk, when your shot carries much less risk and a strong upside with the 6 next.

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
if i play close to my opponent i bank the strip like tom said but hit it harder to cover my hole

if i play much worse or much better i play the scatter shot but bring the cue ball back to the side rail down at the second diamond so it helps cover my hole and leave a longer shot in case a ball leaks

wincardona

Verified Member
why not put alittle follow on it to land around the first diamond on the side rail towards the foot rail using the stack to hide the balls you pushed to your side
why go to the head rail and leave him a view of the balls by your hole???:confused:
mitch we are on the same page to leave the cue ball
we differ on tip placement to get there
at the table we would agree....:)
It's hard to pass the bank on the 14ball, just seems to be laying really good and you're close enough to it to hit it consistently well. However, I also like your shot Larry but instead of going to the side rail with the cue ball I like playing your shot, hit with a medium speed and move both balls to my side hitting high on the side rail with the cue ball and then "float" into the stack with whitey. This shot will change the position drastically, and it's an easy shot to execute. My feeling on this shot is that you're just about guaranteed to have the next strong move, and you just might create a winning position immediately with the move.

Bill Incardona

NH Steve

Administrator
I'm with Tom on this one -- high left english on the bank of the 14 rolls the cue ball around that corner to a better angle for either the 6 ball next or the shot into 7/8 that you all are talking about.

Those advocating the 7 into the 8 right away better be careful of that 15 (brown stripe) leaking out when you come into the stack to open balls on your side -- especially if you are hitting at all firm (like those advocating drawing the cue ball up table). Plus who knows what banks you might leave -- unless you can control the cue ball into the side of the stack like Dr. Bill said.

lll

Verified Member
It's hard to pass the bank on the 14ball, just seems to be laying really good and you're close enough to it to hit it consistently well. However, I also like your shot Larry but instead of going to the side rail with the cue ball I like playing your shot, hit with a medium speed and move both balls to my side hitting high on the side rail with the cue ball and then "float" into the stack with whitey. This shot will change the position drastically, and it's an easy shot to execute. My feeling on this shot is that you're just about guaranteed to have the next strong move, and you just might create a winning position immediately with the move.

Bill Incardona
bill
thanks for the critique and advice to make the shot a stronger move..