:)

lll

Verified Member
it seems too obvious
miller must be up to something
:confused:...:eek:...:D

vapros

Verified Member
Whatever else I might do, I will come off the long rail and bump the 4 ball. It is a ticking time bomb and has to be moved.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
Yea, the 4 is pretty much wired and has to be dealt with.

I am probably shooting Larry's shot, lays nice, pushes balls towards my hole and if I hide the CB behind the 4, he is in some trouble!

Miller

Verified Member
"player a" was appleton. he hit a derivative of larry's shot and hit it very well....

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Miller

Verified Member
surprised this thread of a "simple shot" hasn't caught more attention and analysis.....

(talking to you: wirth, henderson, brumback, cardone, hacker, wayne, baby huey, jtom, bernie.....)

something that a good friend and a guy i consider a mentor (bona fide 100 ball runner) has taught me is not to just go blindly into the stack and hope for the best (of course there are exceptions...). read it and have a purpose....

appleton studied it for a while....look at his eyes in the pic. he's figuring what the deuce does......

you're all welcome for that....see you chumps in NO....
:)

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Okay Dustin, I'll share. I'm not at all thrilled with Darin's shot here. That's not to say it is a bad shot. It just didn't accomplish much. Maybe he focused so much on the cue ball that he didn't catch the object ball quite right. Don't know.

Before he shot that shot my first thought was something far more simple. Lagging the ten to the side rail and sticking the cue ball on the apex of the stack removing any view of the six. Simple, yet effective. Tell me, What would you do from that position?

When I have no scoring threat and looking to set up a move, I'm always looking to accomplish three things and do it with the highest degree of certainty. A free standing ball on my side and as close as possible to my pocket, the same along the foot rail, and hook the cue ball removing any return threat while hiding my threat. Sometimes they take more then a single inning.

Tom

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
Okay Dustin, I'll share. I'm not at all thrilled with Darin's shot here. That's not to say it is a bad shot. It just didn't accomplish much. Maybe he focused so much on the cue ball that he didn't catch the object ball quite right. Don't know.

Before he shot that shot my first thought was something far more simple. Lagging the ten to the side rail and sticking the cue ball on the apex of the stack removing any view of the six. Simple, yet effective. Tell me, What would you do from that position?

When I have no scoring threat and looking to set up a move, I'm always looking to accomplish three things and do it with the highest degree of certainty. A free standing ball on my side and as close as possible to my pocket, the same along the foot rail, and hook the cue ball removing any return threat while hiding my threat. Sometimes they take more then a single inning.

Tom
with all due respect tom
where the 10 ball ended up is about where it would be with your shot too
(i think) ie on darrens side and a threat
but darrens shot removes the 6 as a threat whereas your shot while applying pressure still has it there to bite you down the line if darren can wiggle free of your trap
another positive of darrens shot is it disrupts the cluster by the pocket that may or may not have been wired
just sayin

LSJohn

Verified Member
with all due respect tom
where the 10 ball ended up is about where it would be with your shot too
(i think) ie on darrens side and a threat
but darrens shot removes the 6 as a threat whereas your shot while applying pressure still has it there to bite you down the line if darren can wiggle free of your trap
another positive of darrens shot is it disrupts the cluster by the pocket that may or may not have been wired
just sayin
I think you're absolutely right that 6 into 15 would have positioned balls more favorably for Darin than 6 into 13 did (and getting behind the 4 would have been equally easy for him.)

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Larry, not all balls on your opponent's side are assets reserved only for them. That six ball is a potential bank given the proper location of the cue ball. Look at the position of the balls following Darren's shot. All but the fourteen favors player B. Sure, Darren's shot will cause some difficulty but nothing that can't be handled by a reasonably good player.

Push the ten over, hide both the ten and six, and force your opponent to kick under the ten. Now you will be in a far better position to deal with the three balls near player B's pocket and still have your trap working.

Tom

PS. I might add that the ten would be far closer to the side rail and about a diamond from his pocket. The cue ball would be laying over the entire stack making it very difficult to bridge for player B. At this point I would not worry much about the wired four ball. My focus would be in setting my own trap.

Last edited:

petie

Verified Member
IMHO Larry's batting 1000 here. He must be because LSJohn agrees with him. Seriously, 6 into the fifteen cue ball behind the 4 is the easiest, most devastating shot here. It would look way different than Darren's results.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member

Tom
Tom,

I gotta go with Larry here also, seeing as how the 6 ball was repositioned and it looks like he's in a bit of a pickle...

Moving the 10 to the side rail is an option also, but just because Appletons results weren't optimum doesn't necessarily mean he didn't shoot the better shot IMO. If he had smacked it a little harder or was able to combo the higher ball in the stack, it could have been checkmate...

The 6 ball is high and pushing the 10 over to the side rail looks almost impossible to completely hide the 6 while settling in the top of the stack... But let's say for arguments sake that you hit it perfect and the 6 can't be brushed...

Depending on where the 10 settled, I would either long rail kick at it, trying for a ticky ( no foul ) or just kick behind it and take the foul... Now the wired 4 and the 6 have to be dealt with or the game could easily get out of hand the next inning...

I realize and appreciate the great advice given on choosing shots that are simple and yet very effective, that's a good lesson in and of itself, one that you and Efren utilize all the time and I intend to apply it more often, however in this particular example, removing the 6 while trying to open up multiple balls to my side and trying to stick my opponent on the backside of a wired combo seems to have more immediate game changing benifit even though it is a more difficult shot to execute... C'mon Buddy, you're not shootin that 10 ball... :rolleyes:

You are the one that wrote the book on controlled aggression :):):) you're shootin that 6 into the stack...

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Yes Petie, as I said in my first post "Maybe he focused so much on the cue ball that he didn't catch the object ball quite right. Don't know." Shooting the six into the fifteen would do more to help Darren's cause. that is as long as he controlled the cue ball onto the four and foot rail. Let the cue ball get away from him and there could be hell to pay.

I still like my shot for its simplicity, but the six into the fifteen isn't bad either.

Tom

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Tom,

I gotta go with Larry here also, seeing as how the 6 ball was repositioned and it looks like he's in a bit of a pickle...

Moving the 10 to the side rail is an option also, but just because Appletons results weren't optimum doesn't necessarily mean he didn't shoot the better shot IMO. If he had smacked it a little harder or was able to combo the higher ball in the stack, it could have been checkmate... Facts not in evidence as they would say in the court room.

The 6 ball is high and pushing the 10 over to the side rail looks almost impossible to completely hide the 6 while settling in the top of the stack... But let's say for arguments sake that you hit it perfect and the 6 can't be brushed... Brushing the six will not help you, Jeff. Where are you going with the cue ball?

Depending on where the 10 settled, I would either long rail kick at it, trying for a ticky ( no foul ) or just kick behind it and take the foul... This might prove to be more difficult than you imagine considering the fact that you would be shooting from a position jacked up over the entire stack. and what about that one ball? Now the wired 4 and the 6 have to be dealt with or the game could easily get out of hand the next inning...

I realize and appreciate the great advice given on choosing shots that are simple and yet very effective, that's a good lesson in and of itself, one that you and Efren utilize all the time and I intend to apply it more often, however in this particular example, removing the 6 while trying to open up multiple balls to my side and trying to stick my opponent on the backside of a wired combo seems to have more immediate game changing benifit even though it is a more difficult shot to execute... C'mon Buddy, you're not shootin that 10 ball... :rolleyes:

You are the one that wrote the book on controlled aggression :):):) you're shootin that 6 into the stack...
Jeff, the optimum word here is "controlled" :)

Tom

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
Jeff, the optimum word here is "controlled" :)

Tom
You referred to completely hiding the 6 for whatever reason, I just said it would be hard to do... And wherever I freeze the CB along that side rail behind the 10 isn't gonna favor the bank on the 1 ball... C'mon pal, you're shootin the 6 into the stack... :)

lll

Verified Member
thanks for coming to my defense guys..:)
tom i understand your explanation and of course yours is a good shot
but i still like my shot..