WWYD-in this tough spot.

OneRock

Verified Member
This is a, 'mini' version of the, 'draw angle kick.

When I shot it some years ago, I wasn't in a position to run more balls, just to kick at the ball in the pocket.

Sorry, but the angle in this video is nowhere near as severe as the diagrammed layout. Otherwise, half of the folks here would have chosen this option.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
Sorry, but the angle in this video is nowhere near as severe as the diagrammed layout. Otherwise, half of the folks here would have chosen this option.
Rock, it wasn't necessary in the video. The cluster of balls were up a little higher. I only tried to make the 15, and play a strong safety. If you ever make it up to, Central Fl., I'll instruct you on it.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZaJtbfhdjxFGPH5e7 I posted that I could do this shot before I had tried it, man it is tough for the 14 ball had me all jacked up and using the bridge made it hard to get the power I needed. I could only stroke the with left high for that is all of the cb I could use. This makes the cb straighten out when it jumps, so I have to aim more of angle.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jhe22cjNqZjbCe8J8 you will notice the cue ball change direction as the low takes before the cb hits the foot rail. Watch the cue ball change directions at the 1st diamond foot rail. This changed the approach angle and made it possible to make the 15. I shot this shot on a pretty good angle into the side rail. From the side pocket to the corner pocket is a 45 degree angle so you can kind of judge the angle by that.

I am left handed so I had to change the to shoot these shots on the other side, and I still had a hard time reaching them.
enjoy! Whitey

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZaJtbfhdjxFGPH5e7 I posted that I could do this shot before I had tried it, man it is tough for the 14 ball had me all jacked up and using the bridge made it hard to get the power I needed. I could only stroke the with left high for that is all of the cb I could use. This makes the cb straighten out when it jumps, so I have to aim more of angle.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jhe22cjNqZjbCe8J8 you will notice the cue ball change direction as the low takes before the cb hits the foot rail. Watch the cue ball change directions at the 1st diamond foot rail. This changed the approach angle and made it possible to make the 15. I shot this shot on a pretty good angle into the side rail. From the side pocket to the corner pocket is a 45 degree angle so you can kind of judge the angle by that.

I am left handed so I had to change the to shoot these shots on the other side, and I still had a hard time reaching them.
enjoy! Whitey
Whitey; I don't know if I'm more impressed with the, 'jump'shot with the bridge or the 'kick' with the bridge! The 5' x 10', really makes it difficult to reach.

Those were Great!

12squared

Verified Member

enjoy! Whitey
Impressive x 2. Thanks

lll

Verified Member
whitey for sure
great shooting on both.... 👍
on the jump shot
how many attempts did it take?
just curious because when i considered that as an option i didnt think i could get over the balls in the middle

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Thanks guys! The jump shot was incredible hard and a whole lot of tries. It ate me up alive. I did make it a half dozen times but I did not like them because they did not have the power needed to complete the task, and that was to get another shot. But this successful video, I really had a clean stroke with good acceleration through the cue ball. It is a dart stroke, and trying to get every bit of power out of it as possible.

The kick shot has to be stroke on a pretty good angle, for otherwise it reverses back to soon and runs right into the 10. I was skeptical that this shot was even possible, for it has to stroked on such a severe angle to the cushion. Whitey

OneRock

Verified Member
Rock, it wasn't necessary in the video. The cluster of balls were up a little higher. I only tried to make the 15, and play a strong safety. If you ever make it up to, Central Fl., I'll instruct you on it.
You promise to wear a mask?

NH Steve

Administrator
The score is 1-0, your favor. Your opponent has left you in a tough spot, frozen behind a cluster of balls by their pocket.

Your pocket is lower left. How do get out of this trap and stay at the table to run balls?

View attachment 431695
If that pocket with the 15 hanging in it is the shooter's pocket, I do not see how I as the shooter am in any kind of trap :unsure: Do I have the pockets reversed?? Cool shot though!! Thank you

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
If that pocket with the 15 hanging in it is the shooter's pocket, I do not see how I as the shooter am in any kind of trap :unsure: Do I have the pockets reversed?? Cool shot though!! Thank you
This is the, 'key' sentence, "Your pocket is lower left. How do get out of this trap and stay at the table to run balls?"

What's your solution? Steve.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Thanks, Steve for the compliment on the shot! This is crazy having to use a bridge on a cross corner kick shot. These guys are pushing me to the limits with their wwyds. Its not hard enough having to use a bridge but the challenge also requires getting another shot, which means getting power to get around plus get the cb to get the swerve it needs. mr3c owes me a few beers for that one! thanks again, take care! Whitey

NH Steve

Administrator
This is the, 'key' sentence, "Your pocket is lower left. How do get out of this trap and stay at the table to run balls?"

What's your solution? Steve.
I consider a trap to mean when the player is at risk of selling out because they are in a difficult or confining situation with opponent threat ball(s) that put the shooter at risk. Yes, the shooter is confined here, but there is no threat -- in fact the shooter is already in a safe spot right where they are. Sometimes it's better to do something simple to maintain your position, and save the ball running for a less risky first shot. The shooter in this case has a tremendous advantage in field position. When that is the case and you have a choice between a tough first shot and and easy safe, the prudent thing is the easy safe. My opinion. And to each his own in terms of what the shooter considers an easy shot. No way in hell would I be curving the cue ball, with uncertain future position, to pocket the one really ideal threat ball I have when I have such an advantageous position overall.

But like I said, very cool shot, but not the right shot for me in that situation, that's all :)

mr3cushion

Verified Member
I consider a trap to mean when the player is at risk of selling out because they are in a difficult or confining situation with opponent threat ball(s) that put the shooter at risk. Yes, the shooter is confined here, but there is no threat -- in fact the shooter is already in a safe spot right where they are. Sometimes it's better to do something simple to maintain your position, and save the ball running for a less risky first shot. The shooter in this case has a tremendous advantage in field position. When that is the case and you have a choice between a tough first shot and and easy safe, the prudent thing is the easy safe. My opinion. And to each his own in terms of what the shooter considers an easy shot. No way in hell would I be curving the cue ball, with uncertain future position, to pocket the one really ideal threat ball I have when I have such an advantageous position overall.

But like I said, very cool shot, but not the right shot for me in that situation, that's all :)
But, what's your solution, for you?

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
There is another way to make the 15 that I believe has not been discussed, but is a common shot in billiards and One Pocket.
That is to shoot into the long rail @ approx. 1-1/4 diamonds with masse' and come off and curve around the 9 ball and pocket the 15. If your speed can be maintained then it is possible to come off and get another shot.
This is a shot I have used before, and of course we have seen this scenario played out before! This is also a pretty famous trick shot!

thanks, for the wwyd! Whitey

NH Steve

Administrator
But, what's your solution, for you?
If at the table I felt I could bunt to the bottom rail off the ball I am up against, and get back behind those balls, that would be my first choice. If the angle didn't look right for that I would not hesitate to take a scratch there, to protect my position. In doing that I would nudge the cue ball into that same ball with the intent of getting a better angle to play off it next time -- if my opponent took a scratch back. If he doesn't scratch back -- I'm fine with that because HE is the one in the trap ;)

Let's say I did take a scratch there -- would you now play that same shot to eliminate the 15 threat? If not, then WWYD -- because I like that position :LOL:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
With the cb captured behind those balls, I stated there is another way to pocket the 15, and that is to masse' into the long rail @ about 1-1/4 diamond and masse' around the 9 and make the 15. Well, I made it, but in doing so I put a pretty good nick in my cloth. So I am just saying it is definitely possible and especially by players that are accomplished in the masse', but no video, for I am not risking completely tearing my cloth.
A player accomplished in masse' would make that cb just literally zoom over there and pocket that 15! If you guys have been paying attention to the recent videos that mr3c has put up with 3c players doing mainly masse's then you'd know that this shot is a right up their alley.
In doing the shots involving the bridge, that also took it out on my cue shaft and nicked it all up, because the bridge is steel.

Well this wwyd has taken a toll, but at least I know I can do these shots, and we have videos proving that they are possible.

I want to thank mr3c for making these shots known, and also the instructional videos of Caudron doing these shots, very special. Because of this, I and countless others now have another shot added to their coffers. Very appreciative! Whitey

cincy_kid

Verified Member
With the cb captured behind those balls, I stated there is another way to pocket the 15, and that is to masse' into the long rail @ about 1-1/4 diamond and masse' around the 9 and make the 15. Well, I made it, but in doing so I put a pretty good nick in my cloth. So I am just saying it is definitely possible and especially by players that are accomplished in the masse', but no video, for I am not risking completely tearing my cloth.
A player accomplished in masse' would make that cb just literally zoom over there and pocket that 15! If you guys have been paying attention to the recent videos that mr3c has put up with 3c players doing mainly masse's then you'd know that this shot is a right up their alley.
In doing the shots involving the bridge, that also took it out on my cue shaft and nicked it all up, because the bridge is steel.

Well this wwyd has taken a toll, but at least I know I can do these shots, and we have videos proving that they are possible.

I want to thank mr3c for making these shots known, and also the instructional videos of Caudron doing these shots, very special. Because of this, I and countless others now have another shot added to their coffers. Very appreciative! Whitey
ouch, sorry to hear about the nick in your cloth. I don't mind doing the half masses where you elevate to curve slightly and change the path but the full masses like you describe when the 3c players pretty much have their cue straight up and down, are not for me. I feel, even with practice, I would feel less confident playing one of those shots versus kicking.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
Cincy KId,
I was concerned for it was in an area that approaches the foot corner pocket. But this cloth I got for the IPT tournament for this is the cloth they used. My thought was to get into stroke and enter the IPT but it folded. So it is a knock around cloth, which works good for me, because I love trying these off the wall shots. I can miscue and nick it up, masse' and nick it up, and it bothers me, but I love being pushed with these extreme shots.

Back in the day when I was playing for real, I never once miscued, it just it not possible, for the stroke is just to pure. Also I could do masse's and not harm the cloth. But that pure stroke is long gone!

So I have a hard time putting on a new high dollar cloth, for I want to go after these shots.

I have a protective piece of cloth that I put up against the back side of the cb when doing a masse' but on this shot the angle of the cue made it go past the protective cloth, so I am going to make a bigger one that goes directly under the cue ball, and then go back after this shot! thanks, Whitey