WWYD - Gentile vs Shane

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
To me the 5 looks blocked. If it goes I would kick one rail off my long rail with RHE and pocket the ball in his hole.
That's the shot I was wanting to shoot, but it makes me nervous having to shoot with side-spin while jacked up. I'm not as accurate that way, as opposed to using a level cue.

~Doc

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Take a foul, one rail kick behind the five trying to freeze him between the 5 and rail.

B
If you take a foul doing your shot Billie.. what do you think will happen? if your opponent has the ability/option of thinning the 5 ball and getting a rail and snookering you from see the 9 ball or hanging ball YOUR DEAD... If your opponent is unable to make a legal hook and hook you on the 5 then he just taps the cue ball and once again YOUR DEAD because if he couldnt make a legal hit and hook you then you can't either..

onepockethacker

Verified Member
They are playing 3 foul, and Chris is on 1 currently so he will have to shoot first if they trade fouls.
Well that immediately should let everyone know they should be looking to take an intentional considering the horrible spot you are in.

wincardona

Verified Member
Now that it's understood what Shane should do (take a foul) Gentile will have a decision to make looking at the cue ball frozen to the 3ball, what would you do?

Dr. Bill

JohnInNH

Verified Member
Gentile is one of my favorite 1P players to watch, if you haven't watched many of his matches, I highly recommend him.

Gentile has Shane in a very strong trap, one mistake and this game is over for sure. This is about as bad as it gets in terms of table position.

Score is -1 Gentile to 1 Shane. It's Shane's shot. No kicks are available and Shane takes his time here, he knows it's dire. This one will lead to another WWYD after Shane shoots.

Bank the 13 with 1/2 tip of center inside causing the cue ball to go slight right to top rail, play the 13 with pocket speed just short of the pocket, if the 13 should fall you can pocket the 10 ball off of the 9. The objective here is to give Gentile a difficult straight in combination which could result in no 2nd shot.

John

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Now that it's understood what Shane should do (take a foul) Gentile will have a decision to make looking at the cue ball frozen to the 3ball, what would you do?

Dr. Bill
Shane pushed forward a tiny bit to freeze the cue ball even more leaving Chris this. Even though it's on the wrong side of the stack, Gentile needs to decide how he'll keep the position. 1 foul each now.

Note: both Shane and Chris forgot about the ball Shane had so it wasn't spotted at this time. They did spot it next inning however.

lll

Verified Member
Shane pushed forward a tiny bit to freeze the cue ball even more leaving Chris this. Even though it's on the wrong side of the stack, Gentile needs to decide how he'll keep the position. 1 foul each now.

Note: both Shane and Chris forgot about the ball Shane had so it wasn't spotted at this time. They did spot it next inning however.

if you trust your billiard skills and speed control
efren could do it...i dont know about chris
here is a shot for chris
gs1.jpg

wincardona

Verified Member
here is a shot for chris
View attachment 14364
Larry that's an excellent reply to Van boening intentional this shot has to be hit very accurately but it's doable I really like your shot a little risky but you know in tough times we have to make tough decisions this is a tough decision but a viable option good choice.

Dr. Bill

pvclou

Verified Member
WWYD - Gentile vs Shane

Hey, Lou, come around more often. Some of these old guys need straightenin' out. :)

Look forward to seeing you in Houston.

Hey John. I'm pretty much a lurker 😊. Most of the time someone else beats me to what I would do anyway.

I'm flying to Paris on the 15th, but I'll come out to check out the action Wednesday and Thursday before the tournament

pvclou

Verified Member
WWYD - Gentile vs Shane

what is your next shot if you make the 13?

That's a good question, Rob. If it's available, I might lag the 8 down to my pocket and put the cue ball back to where it started. John-in-NH had a good idea to use the 9 to pocket the 3 to clear Gentile's pocket.

But now I like taking a foul rather than banking the 13. Keeps the initiative better, I guess.

LSJohn

Verified Member
Hey John. I'm pretty much a lurker ��.
I know. That's what I'm complainin' about !

I'm flying to Paris on the 15th, but I'll come out to check out the action Wednesday and Thursday before the tournament
Hell, if I was goin' to Paris from Houston, I'd just drive... it's only a little over 200 miles. Be sure and check out Gober while you're there.... they have a new gas station with pumps that run on electricity. :heh

See you on Thursday.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
here is a shot for chris
View attachment 14364
One small problem with your choice Larry.. The pic in which you diagrammed your shot is how the balls looked when it was Shanes shot.. Shane took the intentional and now the cue is frozen to the 12 and Chris is jacked up over the 3 ball so the angle for your shot is harder and your jacked up.... I would pass on this one..

onepockethacker

Verified Member
From where Chris is I would jack up at a 45 degree angle on the 12 ball and shoot the 12 ball into the balls pushing them all to my side while drawing the cue ball up table off the side rail to the left of the 13 ball trying to double him up on the 13.. I would not take another foul in this spot.

lll

Verified Member
One small problem with your choice Larry.. The pic in which you diagrammed your shot is how the balls looked when it was Shanes shot.. Shane took the intentional and now the cue is frozen to the 12 and Chris is jacked up over the 3 ball so the angle for your shot is harder and your jacked up.... I would pass on this one..
based on your assessment of his ability to cue the cue ball i agree
not feasible
from the first position do you think it is a good option??

LSJohn

Verified Member
from the first position do you think it is a good option??
Don't you think hitting it well enough to work is just as demanding as making the bank on the 13? I think your shot is no good if hit too thick or too thin or too hard. Same risk, less reward than the bank, isn't it, and "too hard" is no longer a worry.

$.02.

Grayback1973

Verified Member
Chris Gentile gave me one of the best one pocket lessons of my life back in the late 90's.It was at Cue Time on Harlem Avenue one night when he was completely bored and had no action.I paid him $10 a rack to play and every shot he took he would explain why he was taking it.Every time it was my turn he would explore all my options and discuss outcomes,showing me what I should be thinking about.This went on for about 5 hours and I learned more about the game that night than I had in all the years I played it prior to that.I am grateful to Chris for that and it definitely made me a much stronger one pocket player even to this day.

lll

Verified Member
Chris Gentile gave me one of the best one pocket lessons of my life back in the late 90's.It was at Cue Time on Harlem Avenue one night when he was completely bored and had no action.I paid him $10 a rack to play and every shot he took he would explain why he was taking it.Every time it was my turn he would explore all my options and discuss outcomes,showing me what I should be thinking about.This went on for about 5 hours and I learned more about the game that night than I had in all the years I played it prior to that.I am grateful to Chris for that and it definitely made me a much stronger one pocket player even to this day.
great story
so what do you think chris shot???:D

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I like hacker's answer to SVB's intentional.

I may even just jack up a bit and shoot straight on into the 12 and draw back to the long rail making sure the hanger is hidden.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I like hacker's answer to SVB's intentional.

I may even just jack up a bit and shoot straight on into the 12 and draw back to the long rail making sure the hanger is hidden.
It all depends on how close the cue ball and 12 ball are and the rules as far as whether or not you have to shoot 45 degrees away etc...