WWYD - Gentile vs Shane

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Gentile is one of my favorite 1P players to watch, if you haven't watched many of his matches, I highly recommend him.

Gentile has Shane in a very strong trap, one mistake and this game is over for sure. This is about as bad as it gets in terms of table position.

Score is -1 Gentile to 1 Shane. It's Shane's shot. No kicks are available and Shane takes his time here, he knows it's dire. This one will lead to another WWYD after Shane shoots.

Last edited:

unoperro

Verified Member
1 there is a kick available. Long rail to corner. Kick wide and hold the line or bend back to pocket ball.
2 shot is available on the 4? Lots of upside. I would bet Alex,or Efren, shoot it in a heartbeat.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
You say Gentile is -1 and Shane 0. Maybe you meant Gentile has +1. Or Shane has +1
Either way this is a game losing situation if he can't get out of this.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
1 there is a kick available. Long rail to corner. Kick wide and hold the line or bend back to pocket ball.
2 shot is available on the 4? Lots of upside. I would bet Alex,or Efren, shoot it in a heartbeat.
Shane looks at the 4 but seems to conclude it won't go.

wgcp

Verified Member
Take a foul, one rail kick behind the five trying to freeze him between the 5 and rail.

B

pvclou

Verified Member
WWYD - Gentile vs Shane

Bank the orange stripe and leave the cue ball near the top right pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12squared

Verified Member
I think a 2 rail kick is available. Load up the cue w/left hand low english and spin it of the bottom rail (short) to long to the ball hanging in pocket.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member

This was the 1st shot I saw Lou, and if you make it there's a chance to escape the trap.
Another shot that could work out is to clog the combination path by thinning the 3 ball over to his long rail and taking the CB up table near the corner pocket.

LSJohn

Verified Member
First I'm takin' a couple of fouls on the 3, then bank the 13, or cut the 4, or clog up his rail and freeze him on something, or reconsider my options. Assuming fouls back, Alex now needs 10.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
First I'm takin' a couple of fouls on the 3, then bank the 13, or cut the 4, or clog up his rail and freeze him on something, or reconsider my options. Assuming fouls back, Alex now needs 10.
They are playing 3 foul, and Chris is on 1 currently so he will have to shoot first if they trade fouls.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
The problem with banking the 13 straight back, and leaving the CB on the head rail by the pocket is that the combo on the 5 to the ball hanging in Gentile's corner is a hanger. So the bank would have to be made.

Kicking to Shane's side rail and over to pocket the hanger must not be available, or he would surely have shot it. I might try to stun or draw the CB off the 6 to the side rail and over to the hanger. Not a hard shot if it's laying right. Shane's in trouble here. Of course these top guys have near perfect CB control, so they can pull one off that many of us couldn't.

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member

Hey, Lou, come around more often. Some of these old guys need straightenin' out. :)

Look forward to seeing you in Houston.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
WWYD - Gentile vs Shane

I must be crazy... I'd shoot that 5 from down there in a heartbeat. Maybe you guys are counting on making the 13 most of the time...?

To me the 5 looks blocked. If it goes I would kick one rail off my long rail with RHE and pocket the ball in his hole.

Last edited:

1pwannabe

Verified Member
To me the 5 looks blocked. If it goes I would kick one rail off my long rail with RHE and pocket the ball in his hole.
I don't think the 5 is blocked, the hanger is in a big ball position so you can hit the rail with it and still make it.

Anybody who decides to shoot the bank from here needs to make it. I figure Shane is probably 85% to make the bank and he doesn't shoot it.

LSJohn

Verified Member
I never know for sure what I'm seeing in these digital layouts, but it looks to me like the 9 is almost a ball and a half off the rail, 3-3 1/4."