WWYD - Gentile vs Incardona

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Ball score is 3 to -1 Dr. Bill up. Gentile put the cue ball up table leaving a teaser shot. It's Dr Bill's shot.

lll

Verified Member
i dont think billy shot the solid
i think the stripe is far enough away from the pocket and i can hit it soft enough to not scratch
obviously if the scratch is large i need to try something else
bg1.jpg

beatle

Verified Member
billy is an old nine ball king so the shot is duck soup for him. float down and likely will only give up one ball if he misses which shouldnt be often. and then he can clean out two balls down there and not be left next turn in too bad of shape.

or shoot the one rail kick safe. your other one does the same but can sell out a few balls.

lll

Verified Member
billy is an old nine ball king so the shot is duck soup for him. float down and likely will only give up one ball if he misses which shouldnt be often. and then he can clean out two balls down there and not be left next turn in too bad of shape.

or shoot the one rail kick safe. your other one does the same but can sell out a few balls.
thats why i like the first post of mine better

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
This my choice. Making sure not to go too far up table with the cue ball to give up a bank on the eight ball.
no eight ball.jpg

onepockethacker

Verified Member
We have have to know how recent this match is... If its 15 years ago Billy might shoot the solid then have a bank shot to follow... However his pocketing ability has really gone down the last few years so if this is a recent match I dont think Billy shot the solid.... Whenever you have an older champion player and you are discussing teaser shots as an option there age at the time of the scenario has ALOT to do with their decisions... also the pocket size..

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
We have have to know how recent this match is... If its 15 years ago Billy might shoot the solid then have a bank shot to follow... However his pocketing ability has really gone down the last few years so if this is a recent match I dont think Billy shot the solid.... Whenever you have an older champion player and you are discussing teaser shots as an option there age at the time of the scenario has ALOT to do with their decisions... also the pocket size..
A younger Billy might shoot the teaser, but maybe not, since I don't see anything that banks after it so it may not be worth it for just one ball. On second thought maybe the fourteen ball could bank.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
I doubt that Bill would shoot the 2 in-- not because he'd be afraid to sell out, but because there's no follow up shot. He can only get one. I suspect that he came off the stack, perhaps thin off the 10 with CB behind the 15; or something off the 1 ball. He would want to get more makeable stuff near his hole.

I'd probably look the stack over real good, then bat the 15 out of there and roll the CB up table.:)

~Doc

poolboy79

Well-Known-Member
1996 US Open 1 Pocket. The year Jayme Goodwyn (sp) defeated Jose Parica.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
jeff why disturb those balls if there is an alternative to end up in the same place??
Larry,

Look at the angle off the 7, vs. the angle of going straight into the side rail. Which seems the best to fall behind and or under the stripe softly?

Hardmix

Verified Member
Pocketing the 2 with a touch of draw will have the CB float to the rail. From here you have a straight forward bank on the 10, hitting with top move the CB to opponents long rail. If you make it then maybe the 6 goes, I can't tell from the pic. If you hang it then you sold out the 11 and not much more from what I can see. Maybe Chris can go up and down for the ball below the stack, I don't recall because I can no longer see the pic.

Hardmix

Grayback1973

Verified Member
I believe this is from the 1996 US Open in Kalamazoo.Could be wrong,but I think its right.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
1996, 20 years ago this year.

Billy won and played an excellent match.

LSJohn

Verified Member
20 years ago billy might of shot the 2ball, if not I'd try to open something on my side.

This is what I like (for old Bill... I'm younger so I'd probably just fire the 2 in and run out.) :D

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
20 years ago billy might of shot the 2ball, if not I'd try to open something on my side.

Rod,

I looked at this first and thought it would be the best shot by far if the angle was there to deflect off the 10 ball naturally. I still think that, however it looks to flat for me personally, like a scratch if shot naturally. Looks like a low CB with some draw is required to successfully get to the side rail and fall behind the stripe, and that changed my shot selection. If that shot was in my bag, I'd shoot it, but it's not, so I chose coming off the 7 ball.

I need to learn how to hit this type of shot, it comes up all the time and I see better players shoot it with great success. What's your take on the CB strike to get it over behind the stripe, and if you don't mind, what do you call the stroke and at what speed are you shooting it?

Last edited: