Wwyd gambling here

OneRock

Verified Member
I would leave the 3/12 tied up and I'd cross-bank the 7 towards my side while sending the CB up table to where the two chalks are.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member

Even though normally you let balls that are tied up in front of your opponent's pocket stay that way, here, that dictum is overruled....that said, I am definitely banking the three ball into the ten ball and draw-dragging the cueball up table as Chris, Jerry, and Howard posted. - Ghost
Ghost, I think you and Jerry are referring to the 12 ball, aren't you? The 10 ball is beside the CB. Good shot. I like it!

~Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
So we all agree that the layout favored me. I first looked at banking the 14 or the 9 but on those tables I definitely could not have gotten past the 2, and if I left him with any type of bank I gave up the layout advantage so I decided against them. Then I looked at banking the 3 back into the 12 and dragging the cue uptable as suggested but I liked the fact that they were the only two balls on his side and were tied up so decided against that. That leads me to my shot, which my homie Nick P, along with Joe Long, and Beatle liked... the straight back on the 10 which naturally went uptable in his side and left me several ducks if it went and in a good spot even if I left it close. I actually overcut the 10.. and it came back just on the other side of the 11.. and hit the 1 ball on the short rail near my hole.. and double kissed off the one.. right into my pocket. I got a bit fortunate although the cue was in a great spot even if it hadn’t gone. My opponent was so sick 😷 over the double kiss that I just couldn’t break his heart further and take an “After” picture, but I did run a bunch of balls from there though I don’t think I got out. Thanks for the replies fellas.
Strong reasoning there, Mitch. The opponent had nothing open, so why put something into play for him? Glad to hear you got a roll...;)

This was a good wwyd. Lots of choices, but only 1 or 2 good ones. It didn't appear to me that the CB would pass the 2 on either of the cross corner combos.

~Doc

El Chapo

Verified Member
I think the possibility of making a ball on shots like this favors you more than leaving a couple of balls tied up.

I agree we do not really want to move for our opponents, but more importantly in my estimation you do not want to hinder your own offensive opportunities.

wincardona

Verified Member
IMO there are only two strong options here banking the 10ball is one of them. The other option would be to bank the 3ball into the 12ball however, from the picture it looks like the cue ball is positioned a little high making this option not as strong as it could be if the cue ball was positioned 2" lower. If the cue ball was 2" lower it would be positioned for the cue ball to float effortlessly down table it would also offer the shooter a better angle to bank the 3ball into the left side of the 12ball creating much more positive action for the shooter.

Some of the players commented on not fooling with balls that are tied up on your opponents side of the table which is normally good advice but there are exceptions to that principle. Yes in this instance you are moving both the 3ball and 12ball to your side while moving the cue ball to a strong defensive area as well as creating positive action for the shooter and you could possibly win the game in this inning choosing the option.

Banking the 10ball for any good player is a very strong option and not a bad option for weaker players as well. It's a game winning shot with practically zero risk and something that we all should be looking for.

Dr. Bill

cincy_kid

Verified Member
The thing that kept me off the 10 is from the pic it looks like I am too close to my work there. I need to stroke it pretty good to bank the 10 and have the CB hit my side rail then back over to his side all without double hitting or fouling the CB in the process

Not saying it cant be done and obviously a good shot choice as Dr. Bill pointed out, but for me personally, it looked harder than some of the other choices (for my skill level)..

cincy_kid

Verified Member
IMO there are only two strong options here banking the 10ball is one of them. The other option would be to bank the 3ball into the 12ball however, from the picture it looks like the cue ball is positioned a little high making this option not as strong as it could be if the cue ball was positioned 2" lower. If the cue ball was 2" lower it would be positioned for the cue ball to float effortlessly down table it would also offer the shooter a better angle to bank the 3ball into the left side of the 12ball creating much more positive action for the shooter.

Some of the players commented on not fooling with balls that are tied up on your opponents side of the table which is normally good advice but there are exceptions to that principle. Yes in this instance you are moving both the 3ball and 12ball to your side while moving the cue ball to a strong defensive area as well as creating positive action for the shooter and you could possibly win the game in this inning choosing the option.

Banking the 10ball for any good player is a very strong option and not a bad option for weaker players as well. It's a game winning shot with practically zero risk and something that we all should be looking for.

Dr. Bill
After looking at the picture again I think you are right. I wonder if there's enough room between the 3 and 12 where you can bank the 3 past the 12 into the 4 / 8 / 6, create some positive action, still float the CB down to the corner or end rail.

yes the 12 ball stays but if he shoots at it and misses he probably sells out the game.

Tobermory

Verified Member
With the benefit of a couple more days to look em over, and emboldened by Cincy's idea, I think it is not only possible but pretty easy to bank the 3 into the 12 ball, preferably the low side of the 12 so the 3 ball can head towards my pocket and wreak a little havoc along the way. Hit it to stun the cue ball down table preferably hitting the short rail a diamond from the pocket.

After looking at the picture again I think you are right. I wonder if there's enough room between the 3 and 12 where you can bank the 3 past the 12 into the 4 / 8 / 6, create some positive action, still float the CB down to the corner or end rail.

yes the 12 ball stays but if he shoots at it and misses he probably sells out the game.

jtompilot

Verified Member
I think the angle is to flat 3/12 to go up table. However, stunning the cue ball just below the side you can play that carom with the 12 going towards the 8, 6, or several balls. It’s possible to carom one of the balls in and run out from there, with minimum exposure to selling out.

OneRock

Verified Member
The 3/12 should be left alone because the angle is just not there. Of course, the shot is possible (banking the 3 into the 12), but leaving the CB by his side pocket is no good because unless you're able to send the CB up table and deny him access to the 10 (and even the 7), he will freely bank one or the other into the other balls if you should fail to drive a ball towards your hole. That's why I suggested crossing the 7 over and sending the CB to the head rail.

Another way to play the 3/12 is by using a near full hit on the 3 and a high-left CB to spin it up table off the rail below his side pocket. Less force would be required to execute this shot since you'd be letting the English do the work.

But there's also another option that I really like. Here it is.

Attachments

Island Drive

Verified Member
I think the angle is to flat 3/12 to go up table. However, stunning the cue ball just below the side you can play that carom with the 12 going towards the 8, 6, or several balls. It’s possible to carom one of the balls in and run out from there, with minimum exposure to selling out.
I agree....but if you bank it with squirting inside spin, the bank will shorten and allow you to walk the cue ball up table at a very controllable speed.

Last edited:

Hardmix

Verified Member
The 3/12 should be left alone because the angle is just not there. Of course, the shot is possible (banking the 3 into the 12), but leaving the CB by his side pocket is no good because unless you're able to send the CB up table and deny him access to the 10 (and even the 7), he will freely bank one or the other into the other balls if you should fail to drive a ball towards your hole. That's why I suggested crossing the 7 over and sending the CB to the head rail.

Another way to play the 3/12 is by using a near full hit on the 3 and a high-left CB to spin it up table off the rail below his side pocket. Less force would be required to execute this shot since you'd be letting the English do the work.

But there's also another option that I really like. Here it is.

Cliff if you miss the safe high on the 2 your opponent is going to stick you behind the 1 which is no bueno and if you are low you sell out t bank.
I don’t like the risk vs reward here.

Ratamon

I would leave the 3/12 tied up and I'd cross-bank the 7 towards my side while sending the CB up table to where the two chalks are.
That would be my first option. Banking the ten would be the second but I'd prefer a bit more angle so I don't have to use that much speed and right english. Given the speed I have to shoot the 10 with, a lot of bad things can happen if the top cushion does not turn the ball enough and it hits the eleven on the way back.

Last edited: