Wwyd from yesterday

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Ok. You are playing for 50 a game. You are up in balls 3-1 and your pocket is Bottom Left (same side as the cue ball). Your opponent is a fantastic shotmaker and he can see and cut the 14 from anywhere uptable. Even if it doesn't go in, It is not a scratch in the side and the cue will kick the 6 and get behind it. So..... Do you still try to cross the 8 to your hole with no obvious shot behind it? If you hit it bad, you are giving up an opportunity for your opponent to possibly get back in the game, trapping you behind the 6 (or making the 14 with a chance for more. If not, what else would you do?

Wwyd?

Your pocket is top right in this one

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Wwyd from yesterday

By the way... This is Drexeline Billiards outside of Philly. Beautiful room with great equipment.

stevelomako

Verified Member
Why wouldn't you just bank the 8 with draw and get the cue ball straight across for the 10?

You have to hit it hard but not everything has to be hit at pocket speed.

Or draw it with inside to spin it two rails near his side pocket if you want to play more safe, you can play this with pocket speed but you're just playing for one ball then.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
If I was playing Danny Smith I'd still cross the 8 with pocket speed and let him shoot. From up near the head rail, with a ball hanging in the jaws, that shot won't be easy, especially knowing he might sell out a bank if he misses. Plus you just might make the cross and lead 4/1.

Island Drive

Verified Member
Yep, this is a difficult shot to pass up, I also like kickin' the 4 one rail towards the eight.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
Shoot the eight into the right side of the ten, move both balls and follow the cue down by his hole.

youngstownkid

Verified Member
I am crossing the 8 here at pocket speed and trying to get the cb on the head rail near my side.

Well, that's, like, you're opinion, man.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
Cut the eight in and let the cue ball kick the ten. No cut and you're afraid of leaving a shot? Kick the ten and bank the eight next one rail.

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended
Ok. You are playing for 50 a game. You are up in balls 3-1 and your pocket is Bottom Left (same side as the cue ball). Your opponent is a fantastic shotmaker and he can see and cut the 14 from anywhere uptable. Even if it doesn't go in, It is not a scratch in the side and the cue will kick the 6 and get behind it. So..... Do you still try to cross the 8 to your hole with no obvious shot behind it? If you hit it bad, you are giving up an opportunity for your opponent to possibly get back in the game, trapping you behind the 6 (or making the 14 with a chance for more. If not, what else would you do?

Wwyd?
You can't leave the 8 there and shoot anything else because that would leave it there for him to bank.

If I could bank it with left draw-spin and put the cueball on his side rail under the 6 & 14 I would shoot that. If not possible I would bank it and put
the cueball by my uptable corner. Either way I'd shoot pocket speed so his attention will be on the 8 if I don't make it.

Dennis

gulfportdoc

Verified Member

Wwyd?
I wouldn't see the cut on the 14 as a deterrent to banking the 8, especially if the 8 pockets, or stays by the hole.

But the problem for the shooter is that all the balls are on the opponent's rail, with not even another bank available for the shooter except for the two balls on the head rail. So sooner or later the shooter is going to have to get those balls in play in order to get five more.

A savvy player might shoot in the 14 off the 1 ball, and draw the CB down toward the foot rail. That puts two balls in play for the shooter in later innings, and leaves nothing for the opponent.

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
I wouldn't see the cut on the 14 as a deterrent to banking the 8, especially if the 8 pockets, or stays by the hole.

But the problem for the shooter is that all the balls are on the opponent's rail, with not even another bank available for the shooter except for the two balls on the head rail. So sooner or later the shooter is going to have to get those balls in play in order to get five more.

A savvy player might shoot in the 14 off the 1 ball, and draw the CB down toward the foot rail. That puts two balls in play for the shooter in later innings, and leaves nothing for the opponent.

~Doc
that was one of my first thoughts when i first read mitch's post and looked at the layout
if you are scared to put the cue ball any where up table where he can see the 14 it severely limits where you can put whitey
so
move the 14

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Wwyd from yesterday

that was one of my first thoughts when i first read mitch's post and looked at the layout

if you are scared to put the cue ball any where up table where he can see the 14 it severely limits where you can put whitey

so

move the 14

Who said scared lol. Never scared. Cognizant of the fact ....

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Wwyd from yesterday

~Doc

This is a nice thought Doc. Thanks. Frankly I kept going between shooting the 8 or not, and if not... What could I do? I was stumped lol. As Dennis said, the 8 stays bankable for him if I don't shoot it. But your suggestion would have removed the 14 AND been safe assuming I got to the foot rail , which I believe I could do.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Wwyd from yesterday

Thanks Fellas. I just wanted to check my thinking.

In the end I did end up shooting the 8 with pocket speed so he would have to deal with it, and bringing the cue to the head rail.

I left him here....

He double kissed on the takeout and I was able to get the 8 and then reposition 😉 the 10 uptable on my side on my next turn.

lll

Verified Member
Thanks Fellas. I just wanted to check my thinking.

In the end I did end up shooting the 8 with pocket speed so he would have to deal with it, and bringing the cue to the head rail.

I left him here....

He double kissed on the takeout and I was able to get the 8 and then reposition 😉 the 10 uptable on my side on my next turn.
excellent cue ball to jack him up on the 4 to make the shot on the 14 tougher
very cognizant of you to realize its tougher to shoot jacked up over a ball....:D
nice speed on the 8 mitch

Scrzbill

Verified Member
excellent cue ball to jack him up on the 4 to make the shot on the 14 tougher
very cognizant of you to realize its tougher to shoot jacked up over a ball....:D
nice speed on the 8 mitch
From here I'm kicking the eight into the ten pocketing the ten and then shooting the eight, then the 14. You've seen me do it.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Wwyd from yesterday

From here I'm kicking the eight into the ten pocketing the ten and then shooting the eight, then the 14. You've seen me do it.

Indeed I have Bill, and it caused me great pain. Lol. But that was a very different shot as the eight was in a different spot along the shore real and not frozen. Not to say that it couldn't be done, just that it's quite different from the shot that you hit at the Derby.