WWYD for my match today

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Ok. Playing 100 a game. Your (my) pocket is bottom right (closest). WWYD

Attachments

jrhendy

Verified Member
Ok. Playing 100 a game. Your (my) pocket is bottom right (closest). WWYD
I am banking the 15 to my hole. The cue ball will take the eight out and over to my side and the cue ball will go down table.

wincardona

Verified Member
I am banking the 15 to my hole. The cue ball will take the eight out and over to my side and the cue ball will go down table.
You may be laying a little thin for your shot, I like banking the 15ball into the 11ball with a med draw and try to hit the 8ball thickly and stay there. This shot will open up balls on your side and the stack will protect them.

Bill Incardona

jrhendy

Verified Member
You may be laying a little thin for your shot, I like banking the 15ball into the 11ball with a med draw and try to hit the 8ball thickly and stay there. This shot will open up balls on your side and the stack will protect them.

Bill Incardona
I often like your shot when there is a chance to make a ball off the stack, but by keeping the cue ball there and opening up the balls, there are likely to be options for a bank For your opponent.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I'm not super confident on this bank when I have to also pay a lot of attention to getting the CB to hit the right part of the 8-ball. It looks like I'd have to thin the 15 and tickie under the 8. In Tom-Tom's WWYD series, I've already learned that I need to work on my tickies. The 4-ball makes me nervous about letting the cue ball escape.

Long story short: I'd aim the 15 at the bottom of the 11 (or is that the 13?). This lets me get a fuller hit on the 15 and be pretty confident of hitting the 8-ball full and leaving the cue right about there. If I get the 15 close, I should keep my opponent from take a loose bank on the 6, and probably also move the 12 ball to a good spot for me.

Cory

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I often like your shot when there is a chance to make a ball off the stack, but by keeping the cue ball there and opening up the balls, there are likely to be options for a bank For your opponent.
Billy posted my shot while I was typing!

I see what you're saying, John (and I agree the 15 isn't very likely to go in because of how thin it would need to hit the 11). But I see the stack remaining pretty locked up on this shot. So my main fear is leaving a bank on the 6 ball that let's the opponent take the cue ball 3-rails around the table. Getting the 15 close enough is pretty good protection against that, at least against the people I play.

wincardona

Verified Member
John, your shot is a good shot providing you hit the 8ball thickly coming off the side rail, but you must be cognizant of the possible scratch at the far top right pocket. With this understanding I would hit your shot with a high right ball but not hard enough to scratch. By using the inside English and hitting the 8ball thickly the cue ball will back up and go back to the side rail before the side pocket, which will guard against the possible scratch.

I still like banking the 15ball into the stack like I described earlier, I like your shot when there are more open balls for me to run after pocketing the bank. Both shots are good options, I just feel more comfortable shooting the more controlled shot and play to open up balls on my side.

Bill Incardona

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
This is an interesting situation. One I would not like to be facing. The eleven ball looks to be wired for my opponent, if so I would like to do something that would dislodge that threat but how to do that without also risking giving up a bank is certainly a problem.

Knowing a bit about my opponent would help here. If I were playing someone who lacks fire power I would avoid taking any risks and simply duck under the one ball by banking the fifteen to my side and spinning two rails. This is a rather weak shot but the intention is to stall for a better opportunity to further my cause. My other option against this player would be to drive directly into the elven ball and draw back under the one either to the side rail or straight behind the one.

If I were playing someone who is capable of doing great damage in a single inning I must now get more aggressive and attempt to bank the fifteen back into the stack with emphasis placed on controlling the cue ball to hit squarely into the eight ball. This shot cannot be hit hard because of the position of the four ball. Any off angle hit on the eight would give up the four.

The only other option is to just go for the bank and just not worry about anything else. This would be my last choice. I'm not that much of a go'fer unless my back is up against the wall. If the eleven is not on I would be far more inclined to play for the bank on the fifteen using considerable spin and one rail the cue ball into the eight.

Thanks for posting your wwyd, Mitch. This is great, and we need much more of this kind of participation from our members.

Tom

NH Steve

Administrator
I'm keeping it simple. I would most likely just softly knock the 15 over toward my side (or the top of the stack if the angle is that way), while following with top left into the side of the stack. This looks real reliable to me and although it won't win the game right away, chances are good I will come out of the exchange with much better position.

Attachments

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
John, your shot is a good shot providing you hit the 8ball thickly coming off the side rail, but you must be cognizant of the possible scratch at the far top right pocket. With this understanding I would hit your shot with a high right ball but not hard enough to scratch. By using the inside English and hitting the 8ball thickly the cue ball will back up and go back to the side rail before the side pocket, which will guard against the possible scratch.

I still like banking the 15ball into the stack like I described earlier, I like your shot when there are more open balls for me to run after pocketing the bank. Both shots are good options, I just feel more comfortable shooting the more controlled shot and play to open up balls on my side.

Bill Incardona
I finally agree with you! That is a power shot where 400 good things could happen, and it's laying perfect to do it. However, the way it looks like it lays, I dont think you need to draw the cue ball. I believe it is laying perfect with just a pure center ball carom, which makes the shot even more tasty.

Beard

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I think this is an automatic bank the 15 ball into the 11 ball and draw into the 8 ball. I wouldn't even consider another option

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Thanks for the replies! Ok, so as several have mentioned (Dr Bill first), I did in fact bank the 15 into the 11 and draw whitey into the 8. Hitting the 8 full was my biggest focus point when I shot as I knew that "good things should happen" off of the 11. And even if I left a bank, I would have balls close enough to my hole which had to be dealt with.

When I shot, I did hit the 11 and both the 15 and 11 went towards my hole, but did not lay great for me. And the cue came a bit more uptable than I wanted (shot a hair too hard maybe) and I did leave him a bank on the 6 which he hit poorly and left me a return bank.

So, in the end the lay of the 11 and 15 were a bit unlucky and my opponent should have been in a stronger position than he took advantage of. I will post the "after" shot in a minute.

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Here is the aftermath. My opponent should be in a strong spot. What would you have done from here?

Attachments

wincardona

Verified Member
Here is the aftermath. My opponent should be in a strong spot. What would you have done from here?
This is a very tricky position and should be handled carefully. There are three balls that the shooter needs to protect against giving up a shot on 8-3-and 4ball. Imo the ideal position to leave your opponent in would be in back of the 11 and 15ball and in doing this you must position a ball on your side as close to your pocket as possible. If you fail to position a ball on your side then your opponent will have a good bank with the 8ball to bank it into the 11 and 15ball and swing around table with whitey, using the stack as a blocker for your next shot. If the angle on the 6ball isn't conducive to position the cue ball behind the 11 and 15ball and position a ball on your side then I would bank the 6ball into the 9ball with the speed to control the 9ball to my side of the table as close to the pocket as possible. This shot is effective only if you control the 9ball by your pocket because the 11 and 15ball are tied up and your opponent must then deal with the ball that you positioned by your pocket.

Whatever you do you must be careful not to leave your opponent a free shot to open up the 11 and 15ball, which you can't afford to have happen. That's the tricky part of the situation.

Bill Incardona

Mkbtank

Verified Member
This is a very tricky position and should be handled carefully.

Whatever you do you must be careful not to leave your opponent a free shot to open up the 11 and 15ball, which you can't afford to have happen. That's the tricky part of the situation.

Bill Incardona
This is just what he did Bill. He banked the 6 but did not leave it close enough to his hole and left me a bank on the 3, which I played into the 11/15, opening them up, and left him behind the stack. I ended up winning this game after that. :)

wincardona

Verified Member
This is just what he did Bill. He banked the 6 but did not leave it close enough to his hole and left me a bank on the 3, which I played into the 11/15, opening them up, and left him behind the stack. I ended up winning this game after that. :)
These types of situations handled right are often what makes the difference of winning when others lose who handle them wrong. As subtle as they may seem, that's how important they actually are. You can actually be a better player ..in terms of both pocketing and running balls.. but if you don't understand these types of situations you will most likely end up losing and scratching your head trying to figure out...how you lost.:confused:

Playing good object ball speed at certain times is as important as any other single shot in the game of ..one pocket.;)

Bill Incardona

wincardona

Verified Member
I'm keeping it simple. I would most likely just softly knock the 15 over toward my side (or the top of the stack if the angle is that way), while following with top left into the side of the stack. This looks real reliable to me and although it won't win the game right away, chances are good I will come out of the exchange with much better position.
I like your shot a lot Steve, it's a very controlled shot that keeps you in control of the situation. I can honestly say that your shot is as good as any, especially playing a top player where if you make a mistake with the execution of another option it will be more costly then you can afford. Plus your shot will slow down any player and it's this style of play that wears on your opponent. Good choice.

Bill Incardona

wincardona

Verified Member
I finally agree with you! That is a power shot where 400 good things could happen, and it's laying perfect to do it. However, the way it looks like it lays, I dont think you need to draw the cue ball. I believe it is laying perfect with just a pure center ball carom, which makes the shot even more tasty.

Beard
Well, your game is improving, and to think that I almost gave up on you.;):D:sorry

Bill Incardona

Bill

Verified Member
hard to see the angles but I like Steve's shot dislodging balls on the left side of the cluster BUT I would try to bring my cue under the nine ball. you'd certainly have to be aware of the eleven, as Tom points out for the combo, in the next few shots

also an aggressive approach, if the side pocket point is not in the way you could possibly bank the eight two rails and bring the cue back into the stack