Wwyd endgame

Mkbtank

Verified Member
This came up for me today. I needed one and my opponent needed all three. My pocket is by the 4 ball.

To me, the options were:

1)Bank the 9. It's a bigger pocket with the 4 there (triple shim) and even if it doesn't go, I am doubting that he would shoot to cut the 5 with two balls by my hole.

2)Play the score and knock the 5 uptable on my side.

What would you have done? Thanks.

Attachments

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Mitch, I hope you shot at your hole here. One question though; not that it would change my mind on the bank shot, can the one ball carom into the pocket off the four?

Tom

woops! Nine ball....That yellow thing up table....

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
Bank the nine all day long. You can't leave an offensive shot unless you shoot way too hard and hit the side pocket titty.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Options I see, in order of appeal

Options I see, in order of appeal

1)Clear the 5 and freeze the cue on the end rail.
2) Bank the 9 and leave the cue on the end rail.
3)Soft kick the 5 if not frozen.
4. Spin the 4 in for your winner.

lll

Verified Member
mitch
you cant win if you dont make 8 balls in your hole....right......:D
so to me you have a free shot to win
you are not going to leave your opponent an easy out since his 5 is easy to defend against
and
any combo bank into his 5 is not ikely to make the 5
GO FOR IT.....:)
jmho
p.s. what did you do??

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Wwyd endgame

Thanks very much for your responses all!

Mitch, I hope you shot at your hole here. One question though; not that it would change my mind on the bank shot, can the one ball carom into the pocket off the four?

Tom

woops! Nine ball....That yellow thing up table....

Tom- of course I shot at my hole. I considered knocking the 5 uptable for about 5 seconds before deciding to bank the yellow thing :). (9 ball)

Mitch you would have to hit the 9 ball bank like a real turd to **** it up....

Hahah. Of course I hit it like a turd, Rob. That's why this thread is here lol

Bank the nine all day long. You can't leave an offensive shot unless you shoot way too hard and hit the side pocket titty.

That's what happened John. Although I hit it pocket speed, the 9 caught the titty and went right in front of his hole.

I started this thread to check my selection. I thought I did the right thing but did end up losing that game (though not the match) so just wanted to doublecheck my choice. Thanks all. Next time I'll try not to hit it like a turd!!! Lol.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Thanks very much for your responses all!

Hahah. Of course I hit it like a turd, Rob. That's why this thread is here lol

Welcome to the club, Mitch. I wouldn't want to bet against us all having hit that shot like a turd at some time or other. :frus :D

Tom

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Dont worry Mitch. At Derby when I came in 5th I had Schmidt completely trapped with 5 balls around my hole. I banked a ball down the rail to seal his fate when the ****ing ball hit the tit went over and hung in his hole and he made it and ran 8 and out.... BRUTAL
P.S. Thats what i got for hitting it like a TURD LOL

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Wwyd endgame

Dont worry Mitch. At Derby when I came in 5th I had Schmidt completely trapped with 5 balls around my hole. I banked a ball down the rail to seal his fate when the ****ing ball hit the tit went over and hung in his hole and he made it and ran 8 and out.... BRUTAL
P.S. Thats what i got for hitting it like a TURD LOL

Ha! Thanks for fessing up Rob lol. Good to know we all do it. The titty clip is one tough happening to accept. Seems so random and unfair. But that's only Bc I didn't even factor that in as a possibility when I shot (took it for granted). But if I think about it, I've seen it a million times. It is a real possibility. That's the lesson on that bank if I choose to learn it.

Ps: I could say something like titties have been getting me in trouble my whole life.... But I won't 😁

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Ha! Thanks for fessing up Rob lol. Good to know we all do it. The titty clip is one tough happening to accept. Seems so random and unfair. But that's only Bc I didn't even factor that in as a possibility when I shot (took it for granted). But if I think about it, I've seen it a million times. It is a real possibility. That's the lesson on that bank if I choose to learn it.

Ps: I could say something like titties have been getting me in trouble my whole life.... But I won't 😁
What was really brutal is I pinned the cue ball on his side rail uptable. If the ball dropped or even sat next to his pocket on the end rail he was dead but it hung and he was able to make it and run out

vapros

Verified Member
I can't imagine anything but banking the nine ball. Pocket speed, however.

NH Steve

Administrator
A few weeks ago I caught the point on a similar bank and it went directly into my opponent's pocket -- the kicker was, it was his game ball! Racky sacky, lol

But next time I would shoot at the same shot -- you have to! One Pocket is a game of managing the odds, right? The odds are definitely in your favor banking that ball in my opinion.