WWYD - Eddie Taylor vs Marshall Carpenter

LSJohn

Verified Member
Wannabe: "I've tried this shot 50 times, I can bank the 13 about 20% of the time..."

If Wannabe can only achieve 20% shooting it over and over 50 times (and rarely for the win but only to tie the score) I gotta think there's something better than that for mortals.

Either Dennis' shot, or slow roll on about 2/3 of the 13 to block a shot at the 3 (if pinching the 3 out using the 13 doesn't look good at the table -- pockets would need to be tight.)

1pwannabe

Verified Member
I would love to get John B's take on this bank, how he hits it, what he sees.

I'm probably hitting it 100% the wrong way.

John Brumback

Verified Member
I would love to get John B's take on this bank, how he hits it, what he sees.

I'm probably hitting it 100% the wrong way.
Are you sure that is the exact placement of the balls??

Looks to me like the 13 ball bank is on a huge kiss from there. John B.

bstroud

Verified Member
As it is drawn I agree with JB.

The bank Taylor made against Wimpy was on the side rail a little above the Kitchen with Wimpy having game ball buried in his pocket.

Bill S.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Are you sure that is the exact placement of the balls??

Looks to me like the 13 ball bank is on a huge kiss from there. John B.
I haven't had a kiss yet trying it, but I'm doing this from memory. Marshall showed it to me about a year ago. I'll ask him to set it up for me again.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
I set up the shot exactly as 1Pwannabe positioned it in his diagram, with both balls about 1/4" off the rail.

Making the bank and drawing the CB to the opposite long rail was very difficult. I only did it while making the bank once in about 10-12 tries. One time I made the bank and the CB both in the same hole.

The easiest way for me to accomplish the shot was to hit just above center on the CB, bank the 13 naturally, and have the CB come around 4 rails to get shape on the 3.

I will say that if a guy can draw the CB off the opposite long rail, the angle that the CB comes toward the 3 ball is going to have more room for error, since the closer on the foot rail toward the 3 that the CB rolls, the better the bank angle. I didn't check to see if the 3 ball bank can be made with the CB a little up table, or whether it must be made from the CB position of near the foot rail, closer to the 3.

It's a do-or-die circumstance here, so I'd probably shoot the 13 bank too, only I'd try the 4-railer with the CB route.

~Doc

John Brumback

Verified Member
I haven't had a kiss yet trying it, but I'm doing this from memory. Marshall showed it to me about a year ago. I'll ask him to set it up for me again.
I hope you do. I might learn something from it too. ;)

It just don't look right to me in this pic:lol John B.

petie

Verified Member
I like Dennis' shot but don't try for the hit. Just let it die on the bottom rail. Squirrel might get lucky with a 3 rail bank from there but he could also sell out trying it. Its something most of us could do most of the time.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
The only shot I can see for me is to kick at the 3 and drive it to a rail, or not. Either way, live to fight another day.

View attachment 14315
I shot this 2 times to get the feel, then out of 10 shots I hit it 8 times. scratched cleanly 1, miscued 1 {went over the top of the cue ball lol, and hit it a little too hard and sold out a possible cut shot .
I was amazed by the fact that every time I hit the ball even though the edge of the 3 was even with the pocket edge and out 1/8th of an inch , my cueball kept freezing to the inner facing or just off it and behind the 3 every time?
I would not have thought that was possible but hitting that second rail is sending the cueball forward enough to keep from scratching.
I am going back down later and see if this was a fluke , or if I can do it this well again later.
I sure wish I shot as good as I kick. Thanks Grady.
So, I lost 2 games for sure , probably 3 and the other 7 they had to move the 3 ball or take a foul.
This is the right shot for me.
I tried the bank and made it once out of 10. then moved the 3 ball out trying to bank it after hitting the bottom rail.
Went downstairs again , first 10 I hit 5 shots perfect, 3 too hard 1 a ball short but safe and 1 scratch, second 10 shots , 8 safe 1 short still safe 1 too hard and sold out.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
i tried the bank and had trouble drawing to the side rail and making the bank
the few times i made the bank (very few :eek: the cue ball would hit about the first diamond on the short rail from the pocket i was banking to
i also had the balls alittle more off the cushion.....:eek:
for me i would need to practice this ALOT to give it any real thought in a match
the kick at the three is probably the shot for me

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
i tried the bank and had trouble drawing to the side rail and making the bank
the few times i made the bank (very few :eek: the cue ball would hit about the first diamond on the short rail from the pocket i was banking to
i also had the balls alittle more off the cushion.....:eek:
for me i would need to practice this ALOT to give it any real thought in a match
the kick at the three is probably the shot for me
Larry, I also had trouble drawing to the side rail while making the bank. Try the 4-railer with the CB on the natural bank, and see what you think. The way it lays on the diagram is a natural.

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
Larry, I also had trouble drawing to the side rail while making the bank. Try the 4-railer with the CB on the natural bank, and see what you think. The way it lays on the diagram is a natural.

~Doc
yes doc
4 railing the cue ball
i could HIT IT
it was much more natural...:)

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I'm curious how many times out of ten you guys who are not John Brumback, are making the bank?
I don't see me making it more than 2 or 3 out of ten , even if I practiced it several hours.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
I want to apologize, I did have it wrong on the original layout (terrible memory). I asked Marshall tonight and he set it up for me.

Eddie banked the upper ball, drew the cue ball twice across to land down on the bottom rail to bank the lower ball.

Marshall said he hammered it in, hit it hard and fast.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
That does it.

I'm boycottin'.
:heh

So much drama these days. I hate drama.

We'll all be watching you guys slug it out next month in Houston. Wish I could bring Marshall, but he'll definitely be watching.