WWYD - Eddie Taylor vs Marshall Carpenter

1pwannabe

Verified Member
1963 World Championship final game at Johnston City, Squirrel had just banked the 3 ball to his hole and swung the cue ball around behind the 13 to protect it.

Eddie's shot and he needs both of them.

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended
1963 World Championship final game at Johnston City, Squirrel had just banked the 3 ball to his hole and swung the cue ball around behind the 13 to protect it.

Eddie's shot and he needs both of them.
If I could reach it OK I would try to masse around the 13 ball and pocket the 3.

Dennis

lll

Verified Member
i am eddie taylor
5 rail the 13
follow the cue ball to the foot rail and bank the 3
whats so tough about that??.......:D........:heh

lll

Verified Member
i guess he could cross the 13 and then play the 3

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Just checking to see if you were paying attention:eek:.

Back to the drawing board (and no more watching R. Martinez matches).

Are the cueball & 13 froze?

Dennis
Neither are frozen, no, hard to get any kind of precision with that diagram tool.

lll

Verified Member
kick bank the 3 THEN bank the 13

i gotta get it right one of these times.....:heh:heh

LSJohn

Verified Member
I ain't gonna guess what ET (Extra-Terrestrial) would do, but I would try to shoot the 13 straight ahead to pinch the 3 and stick the CB.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
i guess he could cross the 13 and then play the 3
I wouldn't be surprised if that's what he did, Larry. The 13 would not be a hard bank for Eddie, and he may have gotten 4-rail shape on the 3-ball bank. It'll be interesting to see what he did.

~Doc

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended
The only shot I can see for me is to kick at the 3 and drive it to a rail, or not. Either way, live to fight another day.

cbd1.png

NH Steve

Administrator
That's a serious pickle. I guess I would softly kick across the table intending to come up under the 3 without scratching like Dennis diagrammed. I'm not likely to hit it that well unfortunately, lol.

Or if the 3 is out of the pocket enough, maybe use the 11 to wack the 3 away -- hoping not to accidentally pocket the 3 or leave an easy shot for Squirrel.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
WWYD - Eddie Taylor vs Marshall Carpenter

That 13 ball bank is not that tough. Especially for the Bear. Bank the 13.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
That 13 ball bank is not that tough. Especially for the Bear. Bank the 13.
Mitch, you are correct here. The thirteen can be banked straight across and the cue ball can be held first to the opposite side rail and then to the foot rail. I just shot it that way, and if I can do it we all know Eddie can do it. For me, the cue ball rolled sweetly in the direction of the three and had it rolled a little further I would have had a nice bank on it.

One thing though, if Eddie had missed the bank but managed to leave the cue ball on the foot rail, the shot would not be safe. A simple kick off the head rail wins the game for Squirrel, so Eddie may have chosen something other than that cross bank.

See, not much has changed, now has it?

Tom

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Extremely good logic!

That's what Eddie did, he banked 1 rail across the 13, center/reverse to hold the cue ball up. Then banked the 3 to win that year.

I've tried this shot 50 times, I can bank the 13 about 20% of the time, hold whitey up about 20% of the time, but I've never been able to do both.

Mitch, you are correct here. The thirteen can be banked straight across and the cue ball can be held first to the opposite side rail and then to the foot rail. I just shot it that way, and if I can do it we all know Eddie can do it. For me, the cue ball rolled sweetly in the direction of the three and had it rolled a little further I would have had a nice bank on it.

One thing though, if Eddie had missed the bank but managed to leave the cue ball on the foot rail, the shot would not be safe. A simple kick off the head rail wins the game for Squirrel, so Eddie may have chosen something other than that cross bank.

See, not much has changed, now has it?

Tom

bstroud

Verified Member
I was there.
Taylor was amazing at making banks under the gun.
The one I remember most was against Wimpy.

Bill S.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
The question for the experts like Tom, Billy, etc. is what is the "correct shot" for mere mortals?

Take some kind of foul?

Island Drive

Verified Member
I wouldn't be surprised if that's what he did, Larry. The 13 would not be a hard bank for Eddie, and he may have gotten 4-rail shape on the 3-ball bank. It'll be interesting to see what he did.

~Doc
It's a natural shootin' it this way, drawed cue ball hitting the long rail 1st....land on the foot rail, bank the 3, free shot either way.

bstroud

Verified Member
According to Taylor this shot is best made with left center stun.
Low English would make the OB go longer. Not what you want in this case.

Bill S.