WWYD - Early-Game Situation #3

andyk

My two favorite choices have already been posted: 1) playing cue ball into top of stack and moving the six by my pocket because it looks pretty easy to execute or 2) playing the 7 off of the 2 ball with soft to medium speed and controlling cue ball.

Tried to think of a couple crazy options just for fun: play 7 with speed off the right of the 2 (from our perspective) banking it to my side and sending cue ball into the stack moving balls toward my pocket or 2) kicking 2 rails into bottom of stack if 6 was dead off the 10 only by hitting it that side of the stack... fun but don't think 6 sits quite right and situation not desperate enough yet...

Curious to see what the player shoots!

Andy K.

catkins

Verified Member
Play the 15ball into the 1ball and move balls in that fashion. For certain you will move the 15 and 1ball, two balls that are huge balls for your opponent. In the process, you may just move several other balls to your side and completely reverse the position.

Dr. Bill
just a question but I would usually like this shot but it seems like I would have to cut the 15 on the right side which seems like it might kiss which pushed me away from it. just wondering if I am seeing it wrong.

sappo

Verified Member
My two favorite choices have already been posted: 1) playing cue ball into top of stack and moving the six by my pocket because it looks pretty easy to execute or 2) playing the 7 off of the 2 ball with soft to medium speed and controlling cue ball.

Tried to think of a couple crazy options just for fun: play 7 with speed off the right of the 2 (from our perspective) banking it to my side and sending cue ball into the stack moving balls toward my pocket or 2) kicking 2 rails into bottom of stack if 6 was dead off the 10 only by hitting it that side of the stack... fun but don't think 6 sits quite right and situation not desperate enough yet...

Curious to see what the player shoots!

Andy K.
Andy, as usual we think alike. keith

OneRock

Verified Member
Funny you mention it, Billy. It's the same option you suggested during your commentary many years ago. But that's not the shot our player opted for.

Play the 15ball into the 1ball and move balls in that fashion. For certain you will move the 15 and 1ball, two balls that are huge balls for your opponent. In the process, you may just move several other balls to your side and completely reverse the position.

Dr. Bill

El Chapo

Verified Member
it looks to me like you can jack up and shoot the 15 into the 1 and sort of float forward a bit.

lll

Verified Member
Funny you mention it, Billy. It's the same option you suggested during your commentary many years ago. But that's not the shot our player opted for.
i cant find a shot that hasnt been mentioned
look forward to what "our player opted for"

cincy_kid

Verified Member
haven't read the replies yet but since my CB is on or close to the rail, I cant do a lot and get fancy. I am going to roll the 4 ball straight ahead with high english.

The 4 ball caroms off the 2 and goes towards my hole while the 2 banks off the foot rail and back up the table some while the CB rolls forward towards the foot rail have the 1 and 8 as blockers.

OneRock

Verified Member
2011 US Open One Pocket - Efren Reyes vs. Corey Deuel...

Corey looked long and hard at his options while the commentators were debating the merits of the 15-1 option. Corey played a magnificent shot by cutting the 15 towards his hole at pocket speed. He figured he'll leave the CB behind those two balls by the foot rail, or better yet, buried in the stack.

https://youtu.be/6BhXUnwwMhg?t=302

Tobermory

Verified Member
2011 US Open One Pocket - Efren Reyes vs. Corey Deuel...

Corey looked long and hard at his options while the commentators were debating the merits of the 15-1 option. Corey played a magnificent shot by cutting the 15 towards his hole at pocket speed. He figured he'll leave the CB behind those two balls by the foot rail, or better yet, buried in the stack.

https://youtu.be/6BhXUnwwMhg?t=302
Long and hard is right...Corey took more than 2 minutes to pull the trigger on that shot. From the picture we could see, it didn't look (to me) that the 15 could get past the stack. If we had all been able to see that the shot was available, some of us might have selected that shot. Good one.

lll

Verified Member
that shot took great touch
to control the cueball so nicely
besides one helluva cut frozen to the rail
great shot
thanks for the wwyd peter

beatle

Verified Member
that shot although was hit great. i didnt think it could go. but anyways it still didnt give him any advantage at all and if he was just a little off would have sold out some balls.

great players arent necessarily great thinkers or have an understanding of what is right for the particular situation.

mr3cushion

Suspended
that shot although was hit great. i didnt think it could go. but anyways it still didnt give him any advantage at all and if he was just a little off would have sold out some balls.

great players arent necessarily great thinkers or have an understanding of what is right for the particular situation.
That's what made Artie so difficult to beat! He always shot the correct shot for him, in the position that faced him and what he envisioned would develop 2-3 innings ahead!

El Chapo

Verified Member

that was my first thought. great shot, pretty to watch and good execution, but he seems to be this type of player that goes for pretty/impressive shots on a pool table to maybe try and prove something. efren, on the other hand, goes for winning shots that are more effective and that just so happen to be pretty many times. idk that is just the way i see coreys game, i could be wrong. like he could have easily hot that a little bad and lost the game but he didnt get anything but a ball hitting it perfect. pretty but not effective pool. i gotta admit though, good eye, i thought the shot layed too thin to do what he did.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I used to think Corey had a great imagination and very little fear of shooting at anything , Chohan takes that up about 3 notches.
I have seen about 1000 great shooters whack at a ball in that area and sell out about 95 % of the time.
He must have been feelin it that day.

baby huey

Verified Member
I must be nuts but I think I saw this shot and could not believe it. I believe it was T-Rex. He shot the two rail kick into the two ball and opened the stack and the cue ball then went behind the one ball leaving the cue ball on the rail. Mr. 3C probably could say whether this is possible or not with his carom experience.