WWYD - Corey Deuel vs Brandon Shuff - US Open 2016

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Corey starts the match off with a huge break.

Brandon cannot see a way out so he puts whitey into the stack. They then trade fouls and it's -2 to -2 and Brandon must shoot. WWYD?

LSJohn

Verified Member

Brandon cannot see a way out so he puts whitey into the stack. They then trade fouls and it's -2 to -2 and Brandon must shoot. WWYD?

Two rails off the 5 to 1 1/2 diamonds from the corner and on the head rail (I hope!)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
If I couldn't reach over to come off the 9 with left english, and kick off the side rail back to the stack, I'd probably use the bridge and try to hit low on the CB to shoot the 9 off the 6 to combo the 15. If the 15 doesn't go, at least I'd have some balls nearer to my hole. I should be able to hold the CB pretty close to where it is.

~Doc

t-dog

Verified Member
If I couldn't reach over to come off the 9 with left english, and kick off the side rail back to the stack, I'd probably use the bridge and try to hit low on the CB to shoot the 9 off the 6 to combo the 15. If the 15 doesn't go, at least I'd have some balls nearer to my hole. I should be able to hold the CB pretty close to where it is.

~Doc
My first shot would never be rolling in the stack....I am always going to be on 2 from that position, right? Can anyone explain why, I would want to push intot he stack like that? Im going off the 2 behind the 1 or I am 3 rail kicking behind the 1, as the shot after the break

lll

Verified Member
[SIZE="3"]If I couldn't reach over to come off the 9 with left english, and kick off the side rail back to the stack, I'd probably use the bridge and try to hit low on the CB to shoot the 9 off the 6 to combo the 15. If the 15 doesn't go, at least I'd have some balls nearer to my hole. I should be able to hold the CB pretty close to where it is.

~Doc
[/SIZE]
my first thought bolded above
another option i guess you could hit the 5 get the 3 to a rail and stay there too
i dont see anything great
will be curious what others come up with and what was done

Island Drive

Verified Member
I'm gonna bank the 7 aiming to clip the backside of the ten, with all cue ball to the head rail.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I am also going off the 9 ball but I may use right spin (masse) to get to the bottom rail and keep him off the 1 ball. if the angle is not there I would try to go back in to the stack like doc suggested

baby huey

Verified Member
I think right now the speed control one long rail kick to the one ball is the shot. It is not too difficult to accomplish and changes the game completely if executed.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I think right now the speed control one long rail kick to the one ball is the shot. It is not too difficult to accomplish and changes the game completely if executed.
Hey Jerry (congrats by the way on your performance at the senior event, I am told you played some top notch one hole!)

Did you mean for that shot to be the answer to Corey's break?

androd

Verified Member
I'm gonna bank the 7 aiming to clip the backside of the ten, with all cue ball to the head rail.
Yes I think rolling into the stack was a serious mistake.
I would've chosen one of the above shots. :)

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
Yes I think rolling into the stack was a serious mistake.
I would've chosen one of the above shots. :)
Yep,
Never should have rolled into the stack! Bad choice IMO
Answering the break;
(1) two rail kick at the 1 ball outta the upper right hand corner, or,
(2) draw off the 2 into the one ball, either would be a far better option than the one chosen IMO
The one rail kick at the 1 ball appears to be blocked by the 2 ball.

In answer to the posed question, I'd skin off lower ball (9 ball) and go back into the stack, if that wasn't available I'd do whatever was available to try and double him up up table behind the 2 ball as close to the joint as I could put the CB.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
This was one helluva break...Rolling onto the stack isnt worth a crap.. I would have cut the 7 ball firm off the bottom of the 1 ball.. 7 ball probably goes in his pocket which is fine.. the 1 ball banks off the side rail into the 10 ball sending multiple balls my way.. while I draw and spin the cue ball under the 15 ball 3/4 rails up table trying to leave the cue ball as close to the end rail as possible.. something might go in my pocket, if not Im figuring I should at least have some threats by my pocket deterring him from shooting the 2 ball... The only other shot I like is tough and a gamble but you are in a bad spot so sometimes you have to go for it.. I might if it lays right bank the 2 ball across to my side of the table and play the cue ball 3 rails around he table at the 1 ball... I dont think the 1 rail up down kick at the 1 ball is available unless you put english on the cue ball and even if you hit it you are leaving a free bank on the 2 ball

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended

If I was dumb enough to not know how to get out of that break I would now jack-up and shoot very hard into the 10 ball and see where all the balls go.

Dennis

Island Drive

Verified Member
See where all the balls go.

See where all the balls go.

A Shovel Shot is what I call it. Learned it long ago on a bar table. :D

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Brandon tried to thin off the 9, hit the side rail, and then freeze on the 15. He left it for Corey here and Corey proceeded to run 10 and out from here.

LSJohn

Verified Member
Brandon tried to thin off the 9, hit the side rail, and then freeze on the 15. He left it for Corey here and Corey proceeded to run 10 and out from here.
What do you think of Brandon's option of going 2 rails off the 5 to the head rail to double-up the 2-1?

1pwannabe

Verified Member
What do you think of Brandon's option of going 2 rails off the 5 to the head rail to double-up the 2-1?
It was mentioned briefly and they felt Corey would definitely shoot the combo since he had a high % of making it. Still, it would have been somewhat better than what did happen.

LSJohn

Verified Member
It was mentioned briefly and they felt Corey would definitely shoot the combo since he had a high % of making it. Still, it would have been somewhat better than what did happen.
If Brandon could have been fortunate enough to get it within 1/2" of the head rail, I don't think Corey would attempt it, and I don't think I'd mind if he did. Anyway, with 2 rails off a thin cut, a perfect result might be too much to ask.

Thanks.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
If Brandon could have been fortunate enough to get it within 1/2" of the head rail, I don't think Corey would attempt it, and I don't think I'd mind if he did. Anyway, with 2 rails off a thin cut, a perfect result might be too much to ask.

Thanks.
2 rail off the 5 ball wouldnt have been any good.. It would have been too easy for corey to go rail first and make the 1 ball and get on all the balls... Brandon needed to try and change the game around on his first shot. when he rolled into the stack he committed suicide