WWYD - ck

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I ended up winning the set but lost this game and was very frustrated that I couldn't figure out a good shot here.

My pocket is the top right, he is bottom right. I need one, he needs the both.

What's the right shot here?

bernie p

Verified Member
Given the proximity of the 14 ball to the end rail, I would certainly play the cue ball 2 rails first (between the right hand long rail and the 7) and kick the 14 ball to my side of the table, in the vicinity of my middle pocket, stopping the cue ball dead.

You should try not to hit the 14 ball beyond your side pocket to guard against a potential 2 rail return bank from your opponent.

With a little practise, you will be surprised just how effective and accurate you can get with shot.

Bernie.

Island Drive

Verified Member
I ended up winning the set but lost this game and was very frustrated that I couldn't figure out a good shot here.

All I see is playing all cue ball & banking the 7 to my side of the head rail, rolling whitey along the long rail behind the 14 leaving the cue ball on the foot rail....not allowing my opponent to see the 7 ball.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
Given the proximity of the 14 ball to the end rail, I would certainly play the cue ball 2 rails first (between the right hand long rail and the 7) and kick the 14 ball to my side of the table, in the vicinity of my middle pocket, stopping the cue ball dead.

You should try not to hit the 14 ball beyond your side pocket to guard against a potential 2 rail return bank from your opponent.

With a little practise, you will be surprised just how effective and accurate you can get with shot.

Bernie.
Thanks Bernie, I cant remember if I could pass the 7 enough to do that but my diagram it surely looks like it. That shot did not even cross my mind so I either missed it or could do it. Either way, thats a good shot, thank you!

Island Drive

Verified Member

Bernie.
Bernie, wouldn't you then leave a free bank on the seven?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
All I see is playing all cue ball & banking the 7 to my side of the head rail, rolling whitey along the long rail behind the 14 leaving the cue ball on the foot rail....not allowing my opponent to see the 7 ball.
This was my first thought. The only reason I didn't pull the trigger was I was worried I would either scratch or hit too much of the 7 and come off the side rail and let him see the 14 straight in.

I thought about blasting the 7 into the 14 but didn't want to risk making one of the balls for him or even worse hanging one up and letting him have a shot to play position for the win.

Also thought about hitting the left side of the 7 with a lot of LHE and banking the 7 one rail to my pocket and 3 rail the CB back to the top corner pocket on his side but the 14 was too far out where he could have made it from almost anywhere.

What I ended up doing was cutting the 7 towards my hole but mainly focusing on the CB hitting the side rail and then down into the 14 to take it out. I hit too thick and not only did I miss the 7 but left him straight in on the 14 which he made and then drew back where he could bank the 7 ball straight back and made it.

ended up like this:

unoperro

Verified Member
Concentrate on making the 7. No time for negative.

Like Tucco told Blondie"when it is time to shoot,shoot".

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
I would cut the 7 to my hole at pocket speed. Looks to me like the CB will take the 14 out. But just focus on making the 7.---Smitty

jtompilot

Verified Member
This was my first thought. The only reason I didn't pull the trigger was I was worried I would either scratch or hit too much of the 7 and come off the side rail and let him see the 14 straight in.

I thought about blasting the 7 into the 14 but didn't want to risk making one of the balls for him or even worse hanging one up and letting him have a shot to play position for the win.

Also thought about hitting the left side of the 7 with a lot of LHE and banking the 7 one rail to my pocket and 3 rail the CB back to the top corner pocket on his side but the 14 was too far out where he could have made it from almost anywhere.

What I ended up doing was cutting the 7 towards my hole but mainly focusing on the CB hitting the side rail and then down into the 14 to take it out. I hit too thick and not only did I miss the 7 but left him straight in on the 14 which he made and then drew back where he could bank the 7 ball straight back and made it.

ended up like this:

I also would have also cut the 7. The key is to favor over cutting the 7. If you made the 7 or over cut it the QB would have moved the 14. You had a good chance but hit it bad. Shoot better next time.

I don't like Bernie's shot. For me there is nothing worse than playing a passive safety and my opponent makes a good bank and I lose when I had a good chance to win outright.

There

Last edited:

1pwannabe

Verified Member
I like the 2 railer, long rail short rail, under the 14, as close as possible to it without moving it. It's worth a ball to put him there.

I'd have to be at the table to know for sure, but it's not worth losing the game on a 50/50 cut if it's not a given.

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member

I would roll the cue ball to the 7 so the 7 just misses the 14 and banks up table. The cue ball then rolls almost straight but hits the lower long rail and ends up on the short rail.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
WWYD - ck

If you needed both... Crazy but possible.. (Ala tom Wirth tutorial variant) Bank the 7 to your hole hard with low left.. Make the 7 and the cue goes 6 rails and you end up straight in on the 14. 😁

jtompilot

Verified Member
If you needed both... Crazy but possible.. (Ala tom Wirth tutorial variant) Bank the 7 to your hole hard with low left.. Make the 7 and the cue goes 6 rails and you end up straight in on the 14. 😁
WOW✈ That's a real flier. I can wait till PHL:D

Mkbtank

Verified Member
WWYD - ck

LOL, watch out Mitch - looks like he has your number! :)

Maybe. All I can do is play my game. He got me last time but I'm still betting on me this time :). I'm looking to ground this pilot.

unoperro

Verified Member
If you need both, cut the 7 in and bank the 14;)

If that is to simple and you feel the need to try a "circus" shot,(so you have a excuse for failure:sorry) 4 rail the 7 with center on your cueball,then bank the 14. 2 chances to lose and look good doing it.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
WWYD - ck

If you need both, cut the 7 in and bank the 14;)

If that is to simple and you feel the need to try a "circus" shot,(so you have a excuse for failure:sorry) 4 rail the 7 with center on your cueball,then bank the 14. 2 chances to lose and look good doing it.

A small confession. I play a little bit tighter then I post LOL. Just a little 😁

jtompilot

Verified Member
A small confession. I play a little bit tighter then I post LOL. Just a little ��
Don't bring your camera next week. I don't want to embarrass myself:eek:

I do predict lots of flyers��

androd

Verified Member
Geez, I can't imagine anyone not shooting the 7ball. Too many options to get safe.