Wwyd Billy I Vs Jerry

tucson9ball

Verified Member
I would shoot to the 15? ball and try to leave the Q ball in the upper left corner. Hopefully the 15 will block the path to the 8? ball.
I doubt Billy will shoot at the 5 ball from this position.....

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
Lighten up fellows.

Shoot the stripe closest to Bill's side pocket into the side rail behind the 8 ball repositioning the 8 and the stripe to your side, CB off Bill's long rail and back to the top rail around the first diamond.

LSJohn

Verified Member
Shoot the stripe closest to Bill's side pocket into the side rail behind the 8 ball repositioning the 8 and the stripe to your side, CB off Bill's long rail and back to the top rail around the first diamond.
I think you're shootin' at the wrong pocket.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
If nothing else, the shooter can come off the striped ball near the head spot, and drive the CB to the side rail then up to lay on the head rail between the 1st & 2nd diamonds. The stripe will end up closer to the shooter's quadrant, and the opponent can't try to pocket anything.

What makes the layout difficult is that the shooter must bridge over a ball for most down table shots.

~Doc
My preference as well, must get some threat if you're going to survive this situation.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Wwyd Billy I Vs Jerry

Well after thinking a while, and getting down on the 12-8 combo, jerry kicked one rail off the long rail to clip and leave Billy behind the 13 in the bottom rail. He had the perfect line and it was almost great, but the cue ran out of gas a tad early and left Billy a bank on the 8. Here is what Billy had.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
And this is the exact reason why my shot was so strong in this case.. If you are going to risk/take an intentional it has to be done using the 2 ball because now when Jerry spotted the ball he owes the 2 balls by the spot go in Billy's pocket and not Jerry's....... My intentional will change the whole game around.. sorry if you guys don't see the value..

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I was afraid to kick like that just because if you dont have perfect speed you sell out the bank as Jerry did. My mind doesn't think as advanced as hacker's on his intentional shot which may have been the best option and I realize John's / my shot doesn't leave the CB on the rail or stuck to a ball but I still think it's one of the best options for control of the game.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Jerry's shot was my initial choice when I first saw the layout. But I discarded it because it has to be hit perfectly, while jacked up over a ball. My guess is that he left it short because of having to shoot over a ball.

Likewise Hacker's intentional with the 2 ball has to be hit perfectly. There's only about a 4" line where the CB can be left. If the CB comes off the shooter's left side of the 2 it's a sell out. But there again, an excellent shot if you can accomplish it.

I also liked John's split shot. But the longer I looked at it, it seemed to me that the 3 has to be cut pretty thin in order to pocket the 1 ball. If so, the 3 couldn't go through the gap. Otherwise it's an outstanding shot. So much so that I'm wondering if it was "on", why Jerry wouldn't have seen it.

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
I remember at the time, Jerry spent a lot of time studying this situation, before he tried to kick down off the long rail to the ball by Bill's hole. He failed to get there as I recall (not sure).

I would have feathered the ball behind the cueball (13?) going to the closest side rail and back behind the 13, freezing Billy to the back of the 13. Not great trap, but I'm hoping to get a better shot.:)
Shoot the 3 through the gap and billiard the 1 in the side (all CB to hit the 1 dead center.)
rob
would you comment on the pro/con of the 2 shots bolded above please