wwyd #9

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
I'm going to let the previous wwyd run without posting the results until tomorrow but while you wait like kids on the night before Christmas (just kidding) I will treat you to the next in this jaunt through my One Pocket world.

I must say I think you all are a very knowledgeable group of players. I'm impressed. To the new comers to One Pocket I only wish to say that if you are truly interested in learning this game you not only must get out there and play the game with as many others as you possibly can, but because this site will offer you maybe the best insight you will find anywhere you must participate. Throw your two cents in and share what you are thinking. Spread the word about One Pocket.org, help yourselves and help to not only preserve One Pocket for future generations but to help the game thrive world wide.

So here come the images. This is immediately after the break and you are playing your opponent game by game. Assume there is money on the line, personal pride, or anything you chose which makes winning very important.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
image # 3 of 3

In this thread please make note that there is more than one correct play here. How many good shots can you find? What is your style of play and what would you do if you were playing a pro? How would you alter you shot making decision if you were playing an amateur who had reasonably good shot making skills, or how would you play this position if you were up against a very strong defensive player? Would you change your shot depending on the style of player you faced?

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

Miller

Verified Member
this guy sure has a good break....:)

shoot the billiard off the 7.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
This time I would thin the 7 to make the 5. Looks like there is a path. Although it is possible that I leave a bank on the 1, this is a good chance to take that definite killer out of play.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
You guys are too quick out of the gate. Read the third post and respond, please. :)

Tom

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Spread the word about One Pocket.org and help yourselves and help to not only preserve One Pocket for future generations but to help the game thrive world wide.
My pool buddy (and friend) is joining here. We have been playing 1p together for a year but we're really starting to enjoy the game due to one pocket.org and people like TRW that keep the game alive and well. The fun just gets better. Thanks Tom and everyone on board here.

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
yeah, looked at that also....icbw, but think you'd need to get a little draw on it...
I agree jim.

Sorry Tom lol. It was a race for the cookie. Ready, fire, aim.

If it was a pro I was playing I would not thin the 7 and leave them the 1. If I was going to try to make the 5, I would ticky off of the 1.

Or I might fire the 13 and try to clear out a few balls near his hole and duck in the stack to survive since he may get out if I lose rocky.

This is a tough one.

I think I'll watch and learn :)

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Ok, you mean billiard the 13.
If it goes (I can't quite tell; it may not), carom the cue off the 15 to make the 13 looks like the shot. Hit it firmly. Faced with tough options, I choose the one that can reverse the game and damage the opponent's spirits.

If it doesn't go, then I would consider these:

Carom the 5 using the 7 might be an ok good play, but the 1 is sitting right there, so you just might end up right back in the same spot.

Popping the 3-9-2 full and medium firm and leaving him on the 8 might be good if the 2 goes past the 10--the 2 and/or the 1 should end up on my side.

Fire the 13 at the 1 while nestling the cue in between the 8 and 15 looks decent. It moves things around a bit and doesn't sell out. Also, with the 13 gone, there's always the possibility that the 15 is or becomes a dead combo and that your opponent doesn't notice.

To answer the rest of the question, vs. a pro, I'm definitely shooting the 15-13 carom. If that's close enough to dead, then I'm shooting that vs. anyone. Against an amateur, I'd give more thought to the carom off the 7 to make the 5.

I also considered taking a foul and putting the ball on the head rail. But I don't play anyone who I wouldn't expect to make the 12-5 combo.

wincardona

Verified Member
Very interesting situation, and yes depending on the speed of your opponent should influence you (to a degree) on what shot to give 'extra' consideration to.

I see three shots that are imo reasonable, and yes my preference would change against different levels of players.

#1 You can "tiki" shooting under the 1ball, which is very inviting because of the "high percentage" of pocketing the 5ball. Plus you really don't leave much for your opponent. I like this shot a lot, especially playing a very good or very bad player. Playing a weaker player you will give yourself the time you need to work back into the game. Playing a very good player you will also buy a little time, simply because the shot lends to a grinding future. (if there is one):lol

#2 You can also billiard the 5ball off the 7ball. This shot (imo) is not as strong as the "tiki" You can possibly tie up a few balls off the 7ball, however, you run the risk of leaving a good offensive shot with the 1ball. Not a shot that I would shoot against a good player.:sorry However, if i'm uncomfortable with the "tiki" then i'm not goin to get mad at ya if you billiard off the 7ball. Just not my choice.

#3 The 13ball billiard is also a consideration, especially against a top player or even a very good player. I would lean more toward the billiard playing better players, but regardless of who the player is I would have to feel that I was at least a 3/2 favorite to pocket the billiard before shooting it. Playing lesser players I would have to be a much bigger favorite to make the billiard for me to choose that option, because of the confidence I would have in buying the time I need to work myself back in the game against the weaker player.

Let me share what I believe is very 'noteworthy' and that is the position of the cue ball, closely positioned to the side rail. NASTY

Thanks Tom for your time and understanding of interesting situations.

Bill Incardona

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Players, you have read Dr. Bill's analysis of the various shots he recognized as viable options. He chose these options with the firm understanding of his own skill level and abilities. This will be a key element in your future as a winning One Pocket player. As Harry Callahan says, "A man has to know his limitations." Nothing could be more true for a One Pocket player. Beyond that truism is another; Know your opponent. Not only his abilities but do your best to understand his psychology. When in difficult situations does your opponent's defensive nature surface or is he the type of player who rashly strikes out with aggressiveness? Is your opponent steady, methodical. level headed when confronted with stressful circumstances? These are all factors which help you to assess in what manor you should construct your game plan.

I call on you to make these assessments in the course of this thread and when preparing to play your next opponent. To you who are new to One Pocket if you choose not to post your thoughts that will be fine with me. I have created this thread not for the entertainment value but to encourage you to think of this game as a mental struggle between two master chess players.

Two players who are trying to match up are bantering back and forth. One player is a nine ball player who says to the other who prefers One Pocket, "Come on, play me some nine ball. I want to see you shoot!" The other player responds, "You play me some One Pocket, I want to see how you think!"

Tom

jtompilot

Verified Member
Very interesting situation, and yes depending on the speed of your opponent should influence you (to a degree) on what shot to give 'extra' consideration to.

I see three shots that are imo reasonable, and yes my preference would change against different levels of players.

#1 You can "tiki" shooting under the 1ball, which is very inviting because of the "high percentage" of pocketing the 5ball. Plus you really don't leave much for your opponent. I like this shot a lot, especially playing a very good or very bad player. Playing a weaker player you will give yourself the time you need to work back into the game. Playing a very good player you will also buy a little time, simply because the shot lends to a grinding future. (if there is one):lol

#2 You can also billiard the 5ball off the 7ball. This shot (imo) is not as strong as the "tiki" You can possibly tie up a few balls off the 7ball, however, you run the risk of leaving a good offensive shot with the 1ball. Not a shot that I would shoot against a good player.:sorry However, if i'm uncomfortable with the "tiki" then i'm not goin to get mad at ya if you billiard off the 7ball. Just not my choice.

#3 The 13ball billiard is also a consideration, especially against a top player or even a very good player. I would lean more toward the billiard playing better players, but regardless of who the player is I would have to feel that I was at least a 3/2 favorite to pocket the billiard before shooting it. Playing lesser players I would have to be a much bigger favorite to make the billiard for me to choose that option, because of the confidence I would have in buying the time I need to work myself back in the game against the weaker player.

Let me share what I believe is very 'noteworthy' and that is the position of the cue ball, closely positioned to the side rail. NASTY

Thanks Tom for your time and understanding of interesting situations.

Bill Incardona
The tiki from that angle looks really difficult. I'll have to pass on that one.

I also don't like where the 1 ball is for pocketing the 5 but it's better than giving up.

I'm not sure the 13 ball billiard is available.

I've been trying to read the stack but don't see anything good there safety wise.

I think I'm down to the 7/5

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Here is a shot that I probably wouldn't shoot but I am just pointing it out so some of the new players can picture and visualize how the balls will react. Sometimes something that looks crazy is actually a powerful shot when you really study it. Jack up and hit the 3 ball firm and freeze to the 8 ball. Hitting the 3 ball will bank the 2 ball toward your side possibly playing a ticky with the 2 ball off the 1 ball and in or it could combo the 1 ball in your hole. Now then what about the other balls? The 9 ball and 3 ball will end up a little above the 8 ball. The 14 ball will slightly billiard the 4 ball into the 15 ball which will move the 13 ball closer to your pocket. . Balls will go toward both of your holes but the 8 ball will not move and if you concentrate on freezing the cue ball to the 8 ball if the 2 ball or 1 ball go in your hole you will probably have a cut on the 13 ball next. The reason Im showing this is so you can see how all the balls will move but not the 8 ball. Certain variations of this type of shot can totally turn a game around if you can recognize them

Alexonepockettrickshots

Verified Member
If it goes (I can't quite tell; it may not), carom the cue off the 15 to make the 13 looks like the shot. Hit it firmly. Faced with tough options, I choose the one that can reverse the game and damage the opponent's spirits.

If it doesn't go, then I would consider these:

Carom the 5 using the 7 might be an ok good play, but the 1 is sitting right there, so you just might end up right back in the same spot.

Popping the 3-9-2 full and medium firm and leaving him on the 8 might be good if the 2 goes past the 10--the 2 and/or the 1 should end up on my side.

Fire the 13 at the 1 while nestling the cue in between the 8 and 15 looks decent. It moves things around a bit and doesn't sell out. Also, with the 13 gone, there's always the possibility that the 15 is or becomes a dead combo and that your opponent doesn't notice.

To answer the rest of the question, vs. a pro, I'm definitely shooting the 15-13 carom. If that's close enough to dead, then I'm shooting that vs. anyone. Against an amateur, I'd give more thought to the carom off the 7 to make the 5.

I also considered taking a foul and putting the ball on the head rail. But I don't play anyone who I wouldn't expect to make the 12-5 combo.
awesome awesome