wwyd #8

onepockethacker

Verified Member
The 2 rail kick at the 3 ball is the right shot but nobody listed for the right reason. The reason its the right shot is the score is 0-0 and even if you hit the 3 ball on the bottom and scratch you will knock the 3 ball out of there and your opponent probably will have nothing with ball in hand behind the line. When these type of situations come up you dont judge the potential value of the shot by if you hit it good, you say to yourself if I hit it bad what will happen.
The slice on the 10 ball isnt good because if you put it by the pocket your opponent can either bank it or even make it for you and put the cueball right back in the stack and now your back in the same situation.

wincardona

Verified Member
The 2 rail kick at the 3 ball is the right shot but nobody listed for the right reason. The reason its the right shot is the score is 0-0 and even if you hit the 3 ball on the bottom and scratch you will knock the 3 ball out of there and your opponent probably will have nothing with ball in hand behind the line. When these type of situations come up you dont judge the potential value of the shot by if you hit it good, you say to yourself if I hit it bad what will happen.
The slice on the 10 ball isnt good because if you put it by the pocket your opponent can either bank it or even make it for you and put the cueball right back in the stack and now your back in the same situation.
I agree 100% with everything you say, but what also makes the kick the right shot is ...the superior position the shooter has. Kicking at the 1ball isn't a gamble, it's a shot you must shoot because of the strong position you have . Who knows, you might even bank the 3ball in for the win. But as long as you hit the 3ball good things can happen for you and not much bad.:D

Bill Incardona

wincardona

Verified Member
Hit the 4 ball, QB on the rail below the side pocket
Jim, that wouldn't be a bad shot if the 12ball wasn't there. I believe you run the risk of leaving your opponent the billiard off the 12ball and positioning the cue ball back in the stack. If that's true then you're weakening your position and the 12ball could then block the kick. I believe it's time to kick here.

Bill Incardona

jtompilot

Verified Member
Jim, that wouldn't be a bad shot if the 12ball wasn't there. I believe you run the risk of leaving your opponent the billiard off the 12ball and positioning the cue ball back in the stack. If that's true then you're weakening your position and the 12ball could then block the kick. I believe it's time to kick here.

Bill Incardona
Yep I see that. If the cue ball was at that third diamond and the 12 was blocked that would be better.

Alexonepockettrickshots

Verified Member
I don't think that's any easier, it doesn't clear out your opponent's ball, it's not necessarily safe if you miss, and it's not even guaranteed to give you a shot if you make it! Also, the 11 looks to be aimed to the right of the pocket; the location of the 14 should throw it a bit, but that's another point against.

In contrast, if you two rail the 3-ball, all you have to do is hit it on or a little past the number 3 and the outcome will be somewhere between good and great. Struck with a little speed, if you make the 3 you will have 4 or 5 more balls without even needing to break anything out (and more if the combo is dead or throwable, which is much easier to do when you're not going 3-rails).
Ok sounds good thank you.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
an aggressive player, like myself :), kicks two rails at the three hopefully banking it back towards my hole or even making it. thank you
The cookie monster on this wwyd is Bill! Nice work Bill. You saw the shot in an instant. I had barely posted the shot when your response was out of the gate. As far as some of the other ideas posted I am sorry to say none of them comes close to the value of this kick shot. If you reread the Hacker and Dr. Bill's analysis of the situation I'm certain you will come to the same conclusion. I really can't add much to what these two knowledgeable players have already mentioned except to reiterate something they have already said. Weigh the risk of a shot verses the reward. Consider with forethought what your opponent will do if you do NOT execute the shot as you had envisioned. Balance that outcome with the benefits you may enjoy should you execute this same shot to your satisfaction.

Tom

Attachments