wwyd #12673

baby huey

Verified Member
Play the game like you both need 3 balls. Just play tight and try to reposition the balls so you can hide him and pocket balls and spot them up table. I have won many games like this and you never know when your opponent will miss cue or just start playing poorly trying to end the game thinking its in the bag. Winning games like this or just making it close has a huge psychological effect on your opponent.

1. Never give up
2. Play the game to win shooting the correct shots

Scrzbill

Verified Member
Play the game like you both need 3 balls. Just play tight and try to reposition the balls so you can hide him and pocket balls and spot them up table. I have won many games like this and you never know when your opponent will miss cue or just start playing poorly trying to end the game thinking its in the bag. Winning games like this or just making it close has a huge psychological effect on your opponent.

1. Never give up
Oh sure Jerry, sage advice but this is a WWYD thread. WHATS YOUR SHOT?:lol:lol

(Ca Billiards is supposed to open Oct)

wincardona

Verified Member

1. Never give up
Come to think of it I have lost games where I have had big leads (like this one) and my opponent played hard every shot, and I played loosely trying to force something that wasn't there and ended up losing. Probably the biggest game in my life I lost because of the very things you described, and they actually happened. I needed one ball and my opponent needed eight balls with all balls up table and I lost the game. It was like a nightmare and it has haunted me ever since.:( I was playing Ike in Chicago with 25K bet when this happened, I was on the hill in a race to ten and needed only one ball and lost just like you described. I'll never forget it and what you have said about playing hard until the end is the best advice you can give, and for the players that have the patience and energy to do it, is sound advice.

Another player that plays hard every shot until the end, regardless of the score, is Nick Varner.:eek: I have always hated playing him, the man never gives up.

Good advice Jerry.

Bill Incardona

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I am rolling in the red (7?) ball to get another ball down table and leaving him straight in on the ball by my hole.

I shoot a lot of tick tack safeties, but not when I am down this many balls.
I don't see this as too hard to execute like Billy, if you can get to that side rail first over there. I think he can. I would not shoot it on gigantic pockets, but I never know how big the pockets are in these threads and I find the discussions a bit ridiculous seeing as none of us know any of this crucial stuff actually.

The whole point in my shot is to get the guy to shoot. Guys like orcollo think of shooting here. If he misses, the ball could rattle and go toward my hole... anything can happen, and this would be the sort of mental swing in the game you need to beat an evenly matched player here, and it could be 4 to 7 next time orcollo gets up. If he makes it, next game...

I think your shot is a good one though, if i understood it correctly, but i still have another ball downtable and a ball still near my hole now after your shot. Not bad, I dont see what is wrong with that considering where I am at now. And then I would have the bank on the one and a ton of things to do with the cb from there.

I recently made a thread about the percentages in the wrong shot. Similarly here, I know people are talking about never giving up, but you have to think about how a long drawn out game is going to affect you in the overall set, especially when there really isn't much stress on the other guy in that game. Never giving up and going 100% on every shot is a nice ideal, but in practice we only have so many shots that we can get above some threshold concentration level. It is like would you want a surgeon to do surgery on you just after he did a 10 hour surgery, or after a 3 hour surgery? There has to be a difference there, right? One has to calculate if the low odds of winning a game are even worth it at times is my point, so why not let him take a swing at his hole, especially if you can get him froze. I am not saying to give up, but I think it is a great idea to give a guy a look at a straight in ball jacked up, he'll wanna shoot so bad. One big game for all the cash is a whole different situation of course.

Last edited:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
I don't see this as too hard to execute like Billy, if you can get to that side rail first over there. I think he can. I would not shoot it on gigantic pockets, but I never know how big the pockets are in these threads and I find the discussions a bit ridiculous seeing as none of us know any of this crucial stuff actually.

The whole point in my shot is to get the guy to shoot. Guys like orcollo think of shooting here. If he misses, the ball could rattle and go toward my hole... anything can happen, and this would be the sort of mental swing in the game you need to beat an evenly matched player here, and it could be 4 to 7 next time orcollo gets up. If he makes it, next game...

I think your shot is a good one though, if i understood it correctly, but i still have another ball downtable and a ball still near my hole now after your shot. Not bad, I dont see what is wrong with that considering where I am at now. And then I would have the bank on the one and a ton of things to do with the cb from there.

I recently made a thread about the percentages in the wrong shot. Similarly here, I know people are talking about never giving up, but you have to think about how a long drawn out game is going to affect you in the overall set, especially when there really isn't much stress on the other guy in that game. Never giving up and going 100% on every shot is a nice ideal, but in practice we only have so many shots that we can get above some threshold concentration level. It is like would you want a surgeon to do surgery on you just after he did a 10 hour surgery, or after a 3 hour surgery? There has to be a difference there, right? One has to calculate if the low odds of winning a game are even worth it at times is my point, so why not let him take a swing at his hole, especially if you can get him froze. I am not saying to give up, but I think it is a great idea to give a guy a look at a straight in ball jacked up, he'll wanna shoot so bad. One big game for all the cash is a whole different situation of course.
Well said and it is why I am called fearless, reckless, or shoots at a white flag. There are some games that take so much out of you it goes into the next game or two! Where's my burger?

Cory in dc

Verified Member
With the overall score 1-1, I just don't have the energy or focus to stretch this game out from being down 7 to -1. (I'm not a pro and there's a good reason people like to play me!).

So I'm going for the crazy shot that just might bring me back into the game, but more likely, get me into the next rack.

Attachments

jrhendy

Verified Member
With the overall score 1-1, I just don't have the energy or focus to stretch this game out from being down 7 to -1. (I'm not a pro and there's a good reason people like to play me!).

So I'm going for the crazy shot that just might bring me back into the game, but more likely, get me into the next rack.
If you draw the cue ball anywhere near where the arrow points, you are banking the object ball closer to his hole than yours.

I don't dislike the shot, under the circumstances, but I think it must be hit with high follow to get it near your hole.

bstroud

Verified Member
I never give up when I am behind.

I learned this a long time ago from a book on Snooker by Joe Davis.

Sometimes when you have a big lead you tend to get careless and can loose the game.

Just recently in PHX I was giving Mike 10 to 6 and I was leading 9 to -1.
I almost lost the game. It came down to the last ball and Mike got the first good shot at his pocket.

Mike is a great example. He NEVER gives up and tries his best to win no matter what the score is.

Bill S.

LSJohn

Verified Member
Thank you for the WWYD! Good one. Hmm. Thin the 13 and bing the cue back to the short rail. The spot balls should hide that 13 when finished. He may still have the 2 railer for the win, but with the threat on my side I doubt he shoots it. It's either that or kick one rail and take a foul, leaving whitey on his long rail up against the side of the 15.
That's me, except I think I would try to get cue ball all the way to Dennis' long rail (probably a thinner hit and more left than you had in mind.)

jtompilot

Verified Member
That's me, except I think I would try to get cue ball all the way to Dennis' long rail (probably a thinner hit and more left than you had in mind.)
Yea, that's what I was talking about. Thin and straight across

onepocket926

Verified Member

....Bingo !!!! :eek: ......I'm with You......I've had to go thru 7 pages of replies to find someone not knowledgeable enough (like myself) to choose this shot (We can now play even :lol )......

...although I believe Billie's shot from his vast experience is probably the ....correct shot.....

....at the risk of being branded as a "sucker" (not necessarily a bad thing if You love action)....I'll give my reasoning....

...... I figure if You're playing a Champion that, can make a ball from anywhere on the table at any given time....and You're spotting Him 9 to 1.....every time You pass the cue...your odds of winning go down, down, down until they hit "0"......

......in the 60's I watched Ronnie Allen spot many players (of lesser abilities (not hard to find)) ridiculous games such as....12 to 3....10 to 2....and such....in posts that I have read on here....people credit Him to saying...."when behind play like a lion...and when ahead play like a lamb"....

....imo...some of the solutions that I've read seem a bit "sheepish"......I'm just a dummy but, any one in the world that wants to give Me 9 to 1...and play..."bump bump" :frus:frus............They gonna loose (I'll bet the ranch on it)....

jtompilot

Verified Member
....Bingo !!!! :eek: ......I'm with You......I've had to go thru 7 pages of replies to find someone not knowledgeable enough (like myself) to choose this shot (We can now play even :lol )......

...although I believe Billie's shot from his vast experience is probably the ....correct shot.....

....at the risk of being branded as a "sucker" (not necessarily a bad thing if You love action)....I'll give my reasoning....

...... I figure if You're playing a Champion that, can make a ball from anywhere on the table at any given time....and You're spotting Him 9 to 1.....every time You pass the cue...your odds of winning go down, down, down until they hit "0"......

......in the 60's I watched Ronnie Allen spot many players (of lesser abilities (not hard to find)) ridiculous games such as....12 to 3....10 to 2....and such....in posts that I have read on here....people credit Him to saying...."when behind play like a lion...and when ahead play like a lamb"....

....imo...some of the solutions that I've read seem a bit "sheepish"......I'm just a dummy but, any one in the world that wants to give Me 9 to 1...and play..."bump bump" :frus:frus............They gonna loose (I'll bet the ranch on it)....
Bingo:sorry As much as I like that shot that one ball isn't going to get you anywhere. If you leave that ball up a little it gets one rail kicked to the other guys hole and the QB takes out that stripe. Let's say it goes in, then what?

Your real funny if you think Bills shot has any chance of working out. Set up Bills bank 20 times and get back to me with your results. Now if that 7 was an inch off the rail then I can see the shot happening, but it's not and you can't squeeze water out of a rock.

This is a great WWYD thread

Cory in dc

Verified Member
If you draw the cue ball anywhere near where the arrow points, you are banking the object ball closer to his hole than yours.

I don't dislike the shot, under the circumstances, but I think it must be hit with high follow to get it near your hole.
I guess it's good to hear from you and others that I'm slightly less of a go-off than I thought!

Anyway, if I know I'm better than the other guy, then I'm probably going to grind it out. If it's even or worse for me, I'm going for it, for the reasons onepocket926 gave.

wincardona

Verified Member
Bingo:sorry As much as I like that shot that one ball isn't going to get you anywhere. If you leave that ball up a little it gets one rail kicked to the other guys hole and the QB takes out that stripe. Let's say it goes in, then what?

Your real funny if you think Bills shot has any chance of working out. Set up Bills bank 20 times and get back to me with your results. Now if that 7 was an inch off the rail then I can see the shot happening, but it's not and you can't squeeze water out of a rock.

This is a great WWYD thread
Jim, I think all the flying you do is starting to get to you. If you really feel that a top player can't shoot my shot with at least a 70% success rate, you're a sucker. And if the 7ball was 1/2" off the rail he would be close to 90%. There's a large target for the cue ball to fall onto, and the angle and english takes you right at it. I would love to take a player that strikes balls well and have him play another player of equal ability and trade off our choices. I hit this shot today on my table eight times and controlled the cue ball perfectly three times and another three times I left a tough shot, only two times did I sell out. I did this feeling stiff after not hitting a pool ball for over 14 days. I know I can get perfect with the shot at least 50% of the time if I get feeling good. What do you think a top player can do, based off of that? Considering the score, the position of the balls, and the forecast with choosing any other option, this option is a strong choice for a good player. JEEZ!

Bill Incardona< use to be a professional at stealing games.:heh

jtompilot

Verified Member
Jim, I think all the flying you do is starting to get to you. If you really feel that a top player can't shoot my shot with at least a 70% success rate, you're a sucker. And if the 7ball was 1/2" off the rail he would be close to 90%. There's a large target for the cue ball to fall onto, and the angle and english takes you right at it. I would love to take a player that strikes balls well and have him play another player of equal ability and trade off our choices. I hit this shot today on my table eight times and controlled the cue ball perfectly three times and another three times I left a tough shot, only two times did I sell out. I did this feeling stiff after not hitting a pool ball for over 14 days. I know I can get perfect with the shot at least 50% of the time if I get feeling good. What do you think a top player can do, based off of that? Considering the score, the position of the balls, and the forecast with choosing any other option, this option is a strong choice for a good player. JEEZ

Bill Incardona< use to be a professional at stealing games.:heh
I'm sure your right Bill. I just think that ball is to close to the rail for that shot but I've been wrong before.

We went up to 40,000 feet to get over the weather so I am suffering form high altitude sickness.

Will you play me next time we meet? There are many things I still need to learn

wincardona

Verified Member
I'm sure your right Bill. I just think that ball is to close to the rail for that shot but I've been wrong before.

We went up to 40,000 feet to get over the weather so I am suffering form high altitude sickness.

I will be doing the commentary at the next "Make It Happen" tournament we have in Edison NJ, the beginning of Nov. Before the tournament starts I will play a challenge match with the legendary Keith McCready, one pocket. It should be a close and very entertaining match to watch. Keith has made a living shooting the wrong shots better than anyone, my bad, I guess I should of said that Keith never met a shot that he didn't like. Which is understandable because at one time Keith shot straighter than any living human, the last time I checked there were quite a few of them around.:lol So if you're going to be in Edison don't plan on playing me there, I simply won't have the time. However, if you're going to be at the DCC in Jan. i'll put you on my dance card. At least for a short race to say 5 games. Don't know how much you'll learn in such a short time, but i'm sure we both will learn a little of something.:)

Bill Incardona

wgcp

Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill

Can I get on the dance card for derby also?

B

PS I will take the same spot you give JTOM

wincardona

Verified Member

Jim, I can't argue with you nor any one who feels that the 7ball is not postioned ideally for it to be a good option, in a normal situation, but trailing 7 to -1 is not close to that. And I understand that a frozen ball is a tricky ball to hit well, especially from a distance, however, there are ways to hit frozen balls that will lessen the risk of the dreaded double kiss and that's by cutting the ball a little more. In this particular situation even though the 7ball is close or frozen on the cushion there is enough reasons imo to support the people that like shooting the shot, me being one of them. My ball striking skills have diminished greatly over the years but I believe I still hit balls well enough to gamble here, considering all the factors. Now for a top player it's a "no brainer" This shot carries a very predictable angle especially for a top player who strikes balls well, and the target area is huge for the placement of the cue ball. With this understanding (providing i'm correct) it's an easy choice for a top player imo.

For those who feel that playing tight is the correct shot in situations like this one, well I can't argue with you on that point, as I previously stated I have lost games like this against players that knew how to play the tight game well. Ike and Varner to mention a few. However, there are many players that play aggressively that have stolen games like this one from players like myself and possibly players like the ones reading this post..and they didn't play tightly when doing it.:heh If I had to take an "educated guess" I would confidently say that for every game that is stolen in situations similar to this one playing tight, there are at least two games stolen in comparison playing aggressively. Of course better players are better equipped to stealing games playing aggressively than weaker players are, so with that understanding you make your own decision on when it's time to play like a "lion or a lamb":eek:

Bill Incardona

wincardona

Verified Member
Can I get on the dance card for derby also?

B

PS I will take the same spot you give JTOM
Ok Billie, but only a short race, after all i'm also going to play Jim a race as well, plus when you consider my level of energy, and how many players have their radar out for me I will be pretty busy just avoiding the many players that would like to get on my card. Does any one have a pill that will bring me back a few years? Maybe I should ask how John Henderson does it, another potential dancing partner.:heh

Bill Incardona