Wsbd

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I've been playing everyday.
I shoot this a lot although I never see anyone else shoot it. I'm a bit of a Gofer, sometimes this shot can be a game winner and I ain't ascared.

Ok,

I'll stop by Click's tomorrow evening and we'll set it up. If you can cut the 7 above the 2 ball like you illustrated with enough speed to get the CB up and half way back also like you illustrated then I'm buying the beer. If not, and that 5 ball looms a little to large for CB passage, then you're buying. Deal?

Oh, btw, no fair jumping the edge of the 5.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I'd say 100% the 8 is NOT dead, and the CB lines Rod drew -- if possible at all, would make Efren or Raphael hesitate. Hop over the 5 with 17/32 tip of 9:52 jacked 19 degrees with 1 7/16 foot pounds energy. Yup, that'll do it.

I'm with Jeff... he's definitely on the Lemon. :D

Lol my man John!!! :lol:lol:lol

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Ok,

I'll stop by Click's tomorrow evening and we'll set it up. If you can cut the 7 above the 2 ball like you illustrated with enough speed to get the CB up and half way back also like you illustrated then I'm buying the beer. If not, and that 5 ball looms a little to large for CB passage, then you're buying. Deal?

Oh, btw, no fair jumping the edge of the 5.
Deal !
Bring your cue :):p:D

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Thanks 1pw, Given that angle the two rail kick looks far better. It is easier to hit the high side of the two from that angle, and that is a must when shooting that shot.

Still one more option I see would be to kick two rails off the head rail and lay the cue ball on the top of the stack. I use this shot a lot. This shot costs a ball but is simple to execute and can be very effective. That being said, I still like the kick on the two better.

Tom

The commentators said they expected a kick shot here, however Bustamante ended up 2-railing off the head rail into the stack like you describe Tom. Not a shot I even considered but it did work out well.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
enjoy jeff's payoff on the beer...:eek:...:D

I want half of Jeff's action. Make him save me my half 'til I get there. :)

(This is rich: A rookie - me - and a semi-rookie - Jeff goin' for a prop bet with Rod. At least the price is right.)

Edit: Jeff = semi one pocket rookie. ::gulp:

treeMan

Verified Member
Sorry!

Sorry!

Sounds like y'all binged on loony pills before posting on this here dubya dubya dubya dee (or I guess wsbd) :p.

Only mister lionheart, in all his bravery, had the simple reply to maintain a good position and keep the pressure on - feathering the 7 and going two rails behind the two. Hit the shot with perfect speed (should be easy, your only going about 4-5 feet). Every one pocket player knows this shot, I guess one-pocket 101 is too simple for youse guys.

(halfway through this post I noticed LSJohn proposed the basic shot in the second reply. also, he already incorporated the word loony, so I guess I should just trash this post. but what the heck :D)

Kick two rails into the back of the two ball. Cue ball runs up table.

Tom

I like this kind of shot when the 2 ball is closer to the rail. Although whenever I try it I don't get great results :eek: - guess I need to give it more practice. Though in this case there's no guarantee that you won't leave an easy clear out shot, so I don't like it here.

Rod, are you shooting your shot with left spin one rail or are you spinning the rock two rails out of the corner using right? Just curious :).

In general I don't like any shots that send the cue ball a'travelling and require placing it in a precise spot on the opposite long rail - that two ball looks highly cut-able to me.

The simple shot maintains pressure and allows you to continue building your position. And it's simple.

tree

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Sounds like y'all binged on loony pills before posting on this here dubya dubya dubya dee (or I guess wsbd) :p.

Only mister lionheart, in all his bravery, had the simple reply to maintain a good position and keep the pressure on - feathering the 7 and going two rails behind the two. Hit the shot with perfect speed (should be easy, your only going about 4-5 feet). Every one pocket player knows this shot, I guess one-pocket 101 is too simple for youse guys.

(halfway through this post I noticed LSJohn proposed the basic shot in the second reply. also, he already incorporated the word loony, so I guess I should just trash this post. but what the heck :D)

I like this kind of shot when the 2 ball is closer to the rail. Although whenever I try it I don't get great results :eek: - guess I need to give it more practice. Though in this case there's no guarantee that you won't leave an easy clear out shot, so I don't like it here.

Rod, are you shooting your shot with left spin one rail or are you spinning the rock two rails out of the corner using right? Just curious :).

In general I don't like any shots that send the cue ball a'travelling and require placing it in a precise spot on the opposite long rail - that two ball looks highly cut-able to me.

The simple shot maintains pressure and allows you to continue building your position. And it's simple.

tree

If I can remember where my girlfriend lives, or her phone number, or her last name, and we get engaged, I'm sendin' you an invitation to the wedding.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Kick the TWO

Kick the TWO

Another variation of the two rail kick would be to spin with right hand english and kick one rail into the two ball. This option, if hit well, may send the cue ball into the stack and create havoc for his opponent. I can't tell if there is enough room to hit the side rail first without using a slight masse. Probably not.

Tom

With the Humidity in Houston, I like your shot thinking about this kick even better. Having played Busty in the late nineties, few can ''fan''/back cut a ball better than he. You'll HAVE to have near ''perfect'' cue ball to avoid the ''2ball'' cut. Plus if Busty was able to cut in the TWO, it gives him the ''perfect'' break out angle of the back of the stack and cue ball position becomes natural with just ''one shot''.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Kick two rails into the back of the two ball. Cue ball runs up table.

Tom
its rare that i dont agree with one of toms shot selections
but here is my 2 cents
toms says

"Cue ball runs up table."

if tom meant to hit the 2 soft so the q ball stays on the foot side of the side pocket to use the stack as a blocker
thats ok with me....:)
if he is sending the cue ball up table to the head rail
this shot lets you see all the balls to come up with something
i stink...;)
so what do i know...:heh
just my 2 cents

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Okay, It looks like I need to explain my point of view to some of you on this two rail kick on the two ball. Take it or leave it, this is just insight into the way I think about the game.

The idea is to hit the two ball thinly on its high side and with enough speed to possibly pocket the two in my hole. That's only one part to the reasoning though. I want the cue ball to reach the top rail on this shot. Sure, my opponent will see what I have going around my pocket but all he can do is play a defensive shot from there. The up side is that I have removed the two from his striking zone, and that for me is of the greatest concern. No other option accomplishing this task with the same efficiency.

Chalk it up to sacrificing a little to get a lot. Who knows though. I have occasionally made this kind of shot into my pocket and run out the game. It won't ever happen if I don't ever shoot it. I'm not suggesting I expect to make such a shot, but I do expect to accomplish the goal of clearing the two ball. Anything in addition is just gravy and the risk is minimal.

As for the shot Busty chose by two rail kicking into the stack. Not a bad choice but it does not remove the two, so that threat remains. The main problem I see with his shot is set in those two balls above the stack. This gives Busty's opponent a way out. He probably will have a way to knock those balls away and kill the cue ball back on top of the cluster and now the two ball, still on the far side, means much more. That's why I lean heavily toward the kick on the two.

I might as well speak of sliding off the seven and hooking on the two. Good shot if your speed and angle are just right but what if it isn't? These little touch shots are not as easy to pull off as they may look. Come up a little thin or thick and you may sell out a bank on the seven. It could happen. I know, I've done it more times than I care to remember. This is the business end of the table and playing defensive shots down here require a great deal of prudence. If I lay behind the two but don't get close a good player can kick two rails if need be, and stick me right behind the seven as easily as I can lay on the two. If he does this, not much will have been accomplished on my end and my other options may be gone.

That's why I practice these type of shots, so I will be better prepared and confident in my ability to both see the possibility and execute the shot. Well, not exactly, I don't practice much at all any more because I don't play much these days. New priorities I guess.

Tom

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
^^^^
thanks for the explanation tom
i understand your thinking
i have to defer to your experience that the trade off of moving the 2 vs letting him see your quadrant works out better for you more times than not

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

I might as well speak of sliding off the seven and hooking on the two. Good shot if your speed and angle are just right but what if it isn't? These little touch shots are not as easy to pull off as they may look. Come up a little thin or thick and you may sell out a bank on the seven. It could happen. I know, I've done it more times than I care to remember. This is the business end of the table and playing defensive shots down here require a great deal of prudence. If I lay behind the two but don't get close a good player can kick two rails if need be, and stick me right behind the seven as easily as I can lay on the two. If he does this, not much will have been accomplished on my end and my other options may be gone.
... Tom
I looked at that shot as well. But to me the only way it's good is if it's frozen onto the 2 ball (or nearly so). It leaves the opponent reply options, as you've outlined, and it might leave a return bank on the 2.

But to my eye, the angle is wrong. If the proper cut on the 7 ball is made in order to have the CB roll two rails and land on the 2, it forces the 7 ball out of play for the shooter. If it's feathered so as not to move the 7 very far, then the two rail angle is gone for the hook.

For me the direct two rail kick on the 2 is the easiest shot to accomplish.

~Doc