WPA, BCA, One Pocket Rules

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member
From
Middle Tennessee
Often, OP.org members have rule questions and conflicting versions. The BCA Rule Book is available at Muellers Pool and Darts and other billiard supply places: about $6. The One Pocket rules can be viewed and printed from this site by clicking on the header "Playing The Game", and then on the drop down window "Rules".

(Partially reprinted from an earlier post.)

Just a brief summary as I understand it: The WPA, World Pool-Billiard Association establishes and maintains the world rules. Many countries have their own sanctioning bodies. The BCA, Billiard Congress of America, is the sanctioning body for the USA and is responsible for our rules derived from the WPA. One Pocket.org has 'Grady's Rules', which are traditionally the official rules of One Pocket because the BCA does not have official One Pocket rules. One Pocket Rules generally follow BCA rules.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Often, OP.org members have rule questions and conflicting versions. The BCA Rule Book is available at Muellers Pool and Darts and other billiard supply places: about $6. The One Pocket rules can be viewed and printed from this site by clicking on the header "Playing The Game", and then on the drop down window "Rules".

(Partially reprinted from an earlier post.)

Just a brief summary as I understand it: The WPA, World Pool-Billiard Association establishes and maintains the world rules. Many countries have their own sanctioning bodies. The BCA, Billiard Congress of America, is the sanctioning body for the USA and is responsible for our rules derived from the WPA. One Pocket.org has 'Grady's Rules', which are traditionally the official rules of One Pocket because the BCA does not have official One Pocket rules. One Pocket Rules generally follow BCA rules.
The OnePocket.org rules reflect Grady's contributions but they are not entirely his for sure. I did most of the writing for our rules myself, but I got a lot of input from fellow OnePocket.org members in the early days of this forum to fine-tune some of the details. The reason we needed to do this comes down to the fact that the BCA rules for One Pocket have NEVER accurately reflected how the game has been played in certain key details. Also, the BCA rules for One Pocket NEVER addressed many of the different important situations that come up in One Pocket. The basic reason for rules is to create a consistent and level playing field that all participants can accept -- thus minimizing controversy and maximizing trust in the results of the game. Our rules have been the basis for most of the major One Pocket tournament play since they were written. If you read the current BCAPL/CSI One Pocket rules they are obviously derived from our rules.