World's Hardest Cross Corner Bank!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/NB1KKSS21uF1u5eA7 click to get sound & box to enlarge.

I am so excited, this is the hardest cross corner bank in the world. Everything has to be just right; stroke, reverse english, speed.

This shot was related to me through one of my bank threads, in which Steve posted up this shot as it was depicted to him from non-other-than 'The Knoxville Bear'. As Taylor depicted it; you have the ob just slightly off the side rail 2nd. diamond w/ cb slightly off the side rail just behind the line in the kitchen.

Steve further stated that on a Diamond table that is known to shorten up it can be made off of the 2nd diamond otherwise on tables like mine that do not shorten up then go off the 2-1/2 diamond. Thanks Steve for helping in making this shot come to life! And a special thanks to the 'Knoxville Bear'.

I did the shot a little different for I froze the ob to the 2nd diamond, and froze the cb to the rail.

To make the shot I used about a tip and a 1/2 of reverse with, and as you will notice, a 'Willie Hoppe Stroke', and that did it!!!! Thanks Hoppe, that stroke came through for us once again!!!. Enjoy, Whitey

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
That is cool!! And that is the shot that Eddie Taylor described to me. Some of you may know it from Buddy Hall, because Taylor showed it to Buddy. Totally looks impossible and hitting it conventionally it basically is impossible.

Nice shot Whitey!!!

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Whitey, Howdy;

Well done! Just might have to try that on the small table I use see how it works
or not. Then if not how to make it work. Should be fun. Whenever I get to
working on these shots it gets folks scratchin' their heads and mutterin' in their
beers. :heh

hank

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I have made this shot with the cueball in same place and object ball on a direct line thru the diamond , but never straight thru from it. Very nice shot Whitey

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Pretty impressive, especially with the cue ball on the rail. I think the line up on the shot has to be perfect too. Like you said, everything has to be in sync to work.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Yeah, the hit has to be perfect. I could only make the shot about 1 out of 10 tries. I'm on a Diamond Pro Am, but I had the CB at diamond 2-1/2. It's really pretty akin to a tough trick shot or fancy shot. It's interesting though, because it doesn't seem like it would go.

~Doc

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Whitey, Howdy;

Took your shot for a spin today before the 9-ball tourney.

Got it twice in 15 tries on the funky butted Valley I have at the VFW.
First few flew straight to the top rail. So, I cranked in some more "tip"
and it started creeping closer with each attempt. About the 10th try
it slid in like it was supposed to. Took another 5 tries to get it in again.
Will try this again on Saturday.

hank

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Whitey, Howdy;

What did you mean when you mentioned " and as you will notice, a 'Willie
Hoppe Stroke', and that did it!!!! "

Can you explain to me what a 'Willie Hoppe Stroke' is and how it is different
from a "regular stroke". Is it the bridge or how the arm moves ... ?

Just being curious but interested to know.

Thanks as always,

hank

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Hank, that must of been quite a feeling making that bank! Congrats! I was thinking that your table might except that bank pretty good. Another bank that I bet works on your table is; have the ob off the rail by the side pocket the cross side bank wide of the opposite side pocket, and then it will reverse bank back off the rail back into the side pocket it was originally by. My table will not except this shot.

The Hoppe stroke as I coined it, is a release of the cue upon contacting the cb. It does not drive through it, thus in my opinion creates less squirt. Re-watch the video and you will see my cue lift up off the cb instead of stroking through. This is in an effort to get the cb to travel more in a straight line to the ob. Another stroke example of it; is to swipe across the face of the cb and not stroke through it.

I first learned of the stroke from watching Hoppe, and then wondered what it was about and what the heck he was doing, and now I use it on many of my reverse english shots. Look at a video of Hoppe and you'll see his stroke. thanks, Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ybv5GxQHUarWV5FX7
Sorry, Island Drive, no 5" pockets here, no humidity either, high desert you see. I don't clean the balls for any of the banks or shots, no juiced up balls here. Maybe that is how I made it, I did not clean the balls, that has to be the reason. Oh, I thought maybe it might take some skill. I got to laugh, I needed a laugh, nice one!
Anyway, the ob went right into the center of the pocket. It could of been a 4" pocket or less and still it would of went in.

I think what really would help make this shot is getting on the right table that likes to shorten up or excepts reverse well, my table does not do either. Whitey

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ybv5GxQHUarWV5FX7
Sorry, Island Drive, no 5" pockets here, no humidity either, high desert you see. I don't clean the balls for any of the banks or shots, no juiced up balls here. Maybe that is how I made it, I did not clean the balls, that has to be the reason. Oh, I thought maybe it might take some skill. I got to laugh, I needed a laugh, nice one!
Anyway, the ob went right into the center of the pocket. It could of been a 4" pocket or less and still it would of went in.

I think what really would help make this shot is getting on the right table that likes to shorten up or excepts reverse well, my table does not do either. Whitey

That helps allot....I have seen it done before on other tables. I'm not knockin' yah, I just know how difficult it can be, and on some tables it's waaaaay more difficult if not impossible. When Medina did the shot, cue ball was NOT on the rail, yours was.

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Whitey, Howdy;

Hank, that must of been quite a feeling making that bank! Congrats! I was thinking that your table might except that bank pretty good. Another bank that I bet works on your table is; have the ob off the rail by the side pocket the cross side bank wide of the opposite side pocket, and then it will reverse bank back off the rail back into the side pocket it was originally by. My table will not except this shot.

The Hoppe stroke as I coined it, is a release of the cue upon contacting the cb. It does not drive through it, thus in my opinion creates less squirt. Re-watch the video and you will see my cue lift up off the cb instead of stroking through. This is in an effort to get the cb to travel more in a straight line to the ob. Another stroke example of it; is to swipe across the face of the cb and not stroke through it.

I first learned of the stroke from watching Hoppe, and then wondered what it was about and what the heck he was doing, and now I use it on many of my reverse english shots. Look at a video of Hoppe and you'll see his stroke. thanks, Whitey

It took some experimenting to get it to go the first time and I didn't "see" where the CB hit the OB on it so ...
I kept at it till it went again. Thinkin' it was a 3/4 full hit on the OB with the reverse spin but I was hitting it solid
with the 1 1/2 tip. Granted with the shorter distance the CB wouldn't squirt as much.

In that side pocket shot you described where would you have the CB for that one, better yet another video :D , :lol .

Have a good weekend, Stay Safe.

hank

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I would think just straight away from the ob would work nice. This famous bank surely is in Freddy's material you have, or you can set it up pretty much on the angle. Maybe some of the members know the name of this bank, or know of a video of this bank, or can diagram it for you.
On Valleys it has a pretty good chance of going.
I can not do video it because this bank is not possible on my table. Whitey

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Whitey, Howdy;

It's on Brumback's short Video. Cross-side twice. Freddy calls it the same. Both
say to make it 3 rails just add speed :rolleyes:
Had to re-read it again (3rd or 4th time), to get what you said in the orig. post
regarding this shot. :eek: .

It's one that's giving me fits at times ... other times goes right in ... go figure.

hank

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
whitey is one of the few on here lately that tries to teach us
sometimes just saying NICE SHOT is enough.......:D
just my humble opinion

Last edited:

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Whitey, Howdy;

It just dawned on me that I may have said (typed), something that may have
been misconstrued. When I said " Had to re-read it again (3rd or 4th time), to
get what you said in the orig. post regarding this shot. "
I didn't mean that you wrote it in a confusing manner. The problem is my brain,
I'm a visual learner (Gotta see it to understand it), and have a difficult time
picking the meaning from words on a page (screen). I was really happy to order
Freddie's dvds then go over the dvds while I was going through the books. So,
once I "saw" it in the book, then I knew what you gettin' at.

hank

Kybanks

Verified Member
This was the cross corner depicted to me by Nick Varner, you can't cross it, you have to stiff it in.

Attachments

• photo25596.jpg
    photo25596.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited: