WICS (is correct shot) with position.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
if I was playing to score, I would shoot larry's first shot, the standard 4 railer but as MR3C said for "position" I think it would be better to come off the right side of the white ball and either come 3/4 rails behind the red or hit the white a little thicker and come 3 rails in front of the red.

Either way, I am shooting the white ball to the corner, so keeping the white ball in the corner usually is a good thing for your next shot. Or at least that's how I see it. :)

Cincy, playing off the white, short, long and long, can score the shot, but, the 2nd ball, (white) will wind up on or close to the short cushion, in a bad position.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I've shot this one like this several times
A simple pattern

won my last 3c match with it recently

and you can play it 4 rails like i drew, or 3rails with more angle and hit the red from the front

But with 4 rails like shown you have the chance to push the white close to the corner and the red away from the rail a bit making position for a 5-7 railers around the table for the next shot, possibly

Rich, I don't think, "I" could ever or many players could contact the, 2nd ball, (white) that thin and score 4 rails. Extremely low percentage.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Shoot thru the red with follow . Yellow goes 3 rails to the white,red goes 5/6/7 rails to corner across from where it started.

Uno, first thing, how will you actually reach the shot? Secondly, if by some miracle it's reachable, following thru the red (full ball) and the OB contacts the long cushion, by applying HLE it will put, RHE on the CB, which will cause that ball to go too long 3 rails behind the 3rd ball. Bad shot all around.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Well, here's the shot with the highest percentage to score and result in position.

Notice the, (shaded areas) represented in the diagram. I have a 1 diamond area to have the CB contact the 1st rail, (short rail).
The 2nd cushion contact point, (2 diamond area, shaded on long rail) is even bigger to score the the point, 3 or 4 cushions.
The 2nd ball is contacted 1/2 ball full, contacting the opposite long rail, driving it around the table 5 cushions to the center of the table.
Anyway I contact the 3rd ball, (red), I have several options off either ball, with all 3 in the center area. In this particular position, I prefer the
balls there. Take note of the note on the diagram! Extreme 3 O'clock, (not above the horizontal) will keep the Maximum effect on the CB, 3 or
4 cushions to score.

ForGil-WWYD-solution-position.jpg

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
mr3c,
your shot amazes me for 1. the red ball becomes such a big ball, and 2. it is so big that wow you have what would be considered a huge grey area window to make the hit!.
Thanks for the wwyd! Whitey

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Well, here's the shot with the highest percentage to score and result in position.

Notice the, (shaded areas) represented in the diagram. I have a 1 diamond area to have the CB contact the 1st rail, (short rail).
The 2nd cushion contact point, (2 diamond area, shaded on long rail) is even bigger to score the the point, 3 or 4 cushions.
The 2nd ball is contacted 1/2 ball full, contacting the opposite long rail, driving it around the table 5 cushions to the center of the table.
Anyway I contact the 3rd ball, (red), I have several options off either ball, with all 3 in the center area. In this particular position, I prefer the
balls there. Take note of the note on the diagram! Extreme 3 O'clock, (not above the horizontal) will keep the Maximum effect on the CB, 3 or
4 cushions to score.

View attachment 432338
Nice shot but seems much harder to make, as you don't have a lot of room to get between the red and the rail. Shows how much I know! :)

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Nice shot but seems much harder to make, as you don't have a lot of room to get between the red and the rail. Shows how much I know! :)
Cincy, this is a 5x10, there are 14" between diamonds and the ob is a half diamond or more off the long rail, 7". A little different than a 9' table.
I hope mr3c does not mind me replying, but I do not think this registered with you. Whitey

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL

In 3 cushion, in order to play position, a shot has to be envisioned that will have a high % of scoring/position and a low difficulty rate to execute. I.e., an exact aiming point on OB, exact effect to apply to CB and, a larger margin of error for the 1st contact and scoring rails, which are denoted in my diagram. Plus, a bonus for this shot, absolutely no chance of any kiss!