Why

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Why did we have a vote on 32, 48, none, if everybody is going to fight for what they want afterwards. It's all a bunch of bull. What the ......is going on?
The 32 man limit won, deal with it.
But people can't deal with it so they want to do something else. First it was a two day event hoping for 16, then a three day event with thirty two. Now an unlimited event with who knows how many hours days and weeks will be involved. Too many chefs in the kitchen and everyone is preparing their own meals.
This is bull and I am tired of it. My reservations have been made and they are non refundable but I will be damned if I will spend the next two months reading about those who want a large field, a small field, a three day event, a two day event, an unmanageable, event because of egos. Now we are talking about a round robin. Where has a one pocket event been a round robin except when it was an invitational event. This is an open event for one pocket.org players and users of one pocket.org who have been commenting for years. Who are all of these locals who Joey is bringing in, shills? I don't play in the California event going on now because it is a two and out. I want to have fun and be able to win a game or two, not have to play a bunch of ringers that never participate in the forum.:cool:
Why don't we do this. Have a tournament sponsored by one pocket.org and everyone, their mothers, daughters, brothers, and in laws are eligible to play.
Play will start at 6 pm Friday night and continue until the last standing person on Sunday night at midnight.:sorry
Five, ten, people cannot be in charge of what is going on. Disco Dave had a vote. No one complained about the number of people as choices. The majority of the votes were for a 32 man limit. Now what? Oh that vote? That was a trial ballon. This is like a Donald Ztrump stump. One day it is one thing and two days later, it means something else.
I just want to know one thing. Who is going to reimburse me for me pre paid flight because what I am reading is bull and if this continues, have the tournament without me.
I want to know if the vote we had by Dave had any meaning? What was the purpose? Who decided that the poll was unfair? Was too be ignored?:frus

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Bill,

I'm sorry you posted this thread. I suppose many of us including me are frustrated. That's no reason to blast everybody as you did. But since you did then I'll vent too:

This is why we need one person to state how this tournament is to be run and everyone else just accept it. Go or don't go, but this management by committee sucks. No one can please everybody and this event was promulgated with the idea of us all getting together to play some pool, match up, and share some laughs and camaraderie.

Yes, this could have been manged better from the start. None of us knew how big this would morph into. John, Joey and I are doing our best and that's all we can do.

Also this business about locals wanting to play but not any of them except Joey A has ponied up. Also, if the field is too full, why don't they step aside and just be railbirds. I know of 4 or 5 guys in Houston who changed plans and did not sign up just so out-of-towners could play in the Seniors event. They still enjoyed the fellowship and meeting the guys while watching the play.

Yes, the tournament is almost 3 months away, but that's no excuse not to define things now. Also, for whatever reason, almost everyone has not wanted to step up and send in an entry fee to confirm that they will actually be there. People have had to be poked, pushed and prodded to make their commitment known yet they b**ch about every decision that needs to be made.

Leaving it all till the last minute when we are all there is not the answer. One person (Jeff or Steve?) needs to state format/details and everyone should just deal with it. Decide if its for them or not.

If you don't want to come, then don't. Let me know and I'll tear up your check (I haven't deposited them yet). If you paid by PayPal, Matt can refund it to you.

I'm tired of listening to all of the whining and I'm not going to post anything more about this tourney except to report status of entry fees.

I may not even go, I'll cancel my reservations.. You guys are making me sick. I'll just give the monies to Jeff and he can bring it to the tournament.

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I will be damned if I will spend the next two months reading about those who want a large field, a small field, a three day event, a two day event, an unmanageable, event because of egos.

You're upset about things you have wrong. All of the stuff you mentioned there has been decided. Any of that you read will be somebody pissing in the wind.

Now we are talking about a round robin. Where has a one pocket event been a round robin except when it was an invitational event.

This is an invitational event. All contributing members of 1P org. are invited. NH Steve actually went to the trouble of posting the entire list of people who are qualified. There's been a lot of stuff posted about this tournament that you apparently haven't read.
This is an open event for one pocket.org players and users of one pocket.org who have been commenting for years.

Yes. That's already been settled the way you seem to want.

Who are all of these locals who Joey is bringing in, shills? I don't play in the California event going on now because it is a two and out. I want to have fun and be able to win a game or two, not have to play a bunch of ringers that never participate in the forum.

Settled already to your satisfaction.

Why don't we do this. Have a tournament sponsored by one pocket.org and everyone, their mothers, daughters, brothers, and in laws are eligible to play.
Play will start at 6 pm Friday night and continue until the last standing person on Sunday night at midnight.

Already settled the way you prefer.

Five, ten, people cannot be in charge of what is going on.
Four people took on the responsibility. NH Steve is one of those.
The majority of the votes were for a 32 man limit.
No, they weren't.

I want to know if the vote we had by Dave had any meaning?
Yes, it made clear that there was not a majority for any of the three choices. It made clear that the majority didn't not want a 32 limit. (And several people who voted for 32 said they were OK with any of the three.)

What was the purpose? Who decided that the poll was unfair? Was too be ignored?:frus

It wasn't ignored. It showed that the majority of people planning to play did not want a 32 cap.

Take a look at the list in the first post on this thread of approx 40 people who have indicated that they will or might play. Would you really bar some of those so the tournament could run more smoothly? If you saw the discussion at the beginning of thinking about this event, you should remember that it was conceived as a social event with just enough real competition to call it a tournament rather than just an excuse to visit Bourbon Street and trade a few lies.

The social considerations have played a big part in the decision-making. That's why we felt quite justified in letting more people in, especially after the vote showed that more people were against a 32 cap than for it.

I may have to have a stern talk with you about that ego shit. :rolleyes: I didn't see any of that from Disco, Jeff or Steve. As for me, can you blame me? I'm a 5-Star tournament planner. I've never done it before, but now I see I was born for it. :D

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
You guys are making me sick.

Guys?

I've only seen a couple of comments that it's going to be hard to pull off smoothly until Bill's here, which showed he's missed reading a lot of the stuff that's been posted to show that some of what he's worried about ain't gonna happen.

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX

Others than Bill have also been critical of the field size decision. Anyway, this thread being posted in the first place is what set me off. We are spending a lot of time, sweat and thinking trying to move this along and the criticism is undeserved.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Bill,

I'm sorry you posted this thread. I suppose many of us including me are frustrated. That's no reason to blast everybody as you did. But since you did then I'll vent too:

This is why we need one person to state how this tournament is to be run and everyone else just accept it. Go or don't go, but this management by committee sucks. No one can please everybody and this event was promulgated with the idea of us all getting together to play some pool, match up, and share some laughs and camaraderie.

Yes, this could have been manged better from the start. None of us knew how big this would morph into. John, Joey and I are doing our best and that's all we can do.

Also this business about locals wanting to play but not any of them except Joey A has ponied up. Also, if the field is too full, why don't they step aside and just be railbirds. I know of 4 or 5 guys in Houston who changed plans and did not sign up just so out-of-towners could play in the Seniors event. They still enjoyed the fellowship and meeting the guys while watching the play.

Yes, the tournament is almost 3 months away, but that's no excuse not to define things now. Also, for whatever reason, almost everyone has not wanted to step up and send in an entry fee to confirm that they will actually be there. People have had to be poked, pushed and prodded to make their commitment known yet they b**ch about every decision that needs to be made.

Leaving it all till the last minute when we are all there is not the answer. One person (Jeff or Steve?) needs to state format/details and everyone should just deal with it. Decide if its for them or not.

If you don't want to come, then don't. Let me know and I'll tear up your check (I haven't deposited them yet). If you paid by PayPal, Matt can refund it to you.

I'm tired of listening to all of the whining and I'm not going to post anything more about this tourney except to report status of entry fees.

I may not even go, I'll cancel my reservations.. You guys are making me sick. I'll just give the monies to Jeff and he can bring it to the tournament.

Till now, I haven't seen anyone bitching. If I recall correctly, you've been unhappy since this wasn't chosen to be on the west coast.

And I don't see any egos. It's a new event, and people are trying to figure things out while there's still plenty of lead time, and volunteering their time -- especially LSJohn and Disco Dave. What's a "regular" poster? Never been defined before, so why not solicit input? Smaller field and longer races, or larger field and shorter races? Good question, get some input. What if we have more than 32 and still want to finish on time? Good question, get some input. It takes a little time, especially when done via posts spread across multiple threads.

And for the record, there were more votes for *more than 32* than there were votes for a 32 cap. It's just that there were two categories of more than 32.

And don't forget that it's proposed as a fun event. The format is secondary, though there will be some serious bragging rights at stake.

Finally, if you're concerned about going 2-and-out, you should prefer the round robin. You and everyone will have more games before you can be eliminated.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Bill Clinton won with 42% of the vote
Bush Sr. 38%
Ross P. 18%

The way some of you do math that was 56% against Bill Clinton. Guess who became president?

I would have been more than happy to run this tournament but I'm in and out of town plus Frank would never return my calls. Joey is the house pro and regularly talks to Frank so I asked him to help.

I said from day one that we should stick with 32 for the first time. I only suggested that maybe we use Friday to get a jump start so we don't run out of time. It looks to me that we now have a three headed monster out of control.

Anyway that's my opinion. Tournaments always seem to run late. I think it would be more fun to limit the field and have time for woofing and action

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Bush Sr. 38%
Ross P. 18%

The way some of you do math that was 56% against Bill Clinton. Guess who became president?

I would have been more than happy to run this tournament but I'm in and out of town plus Frank would never return my calls. Joey is the house pro and regularly talks to Frank so I asked him to help.

I said from day one that we should stick with 32 for the first time. I only suggested that maybe we use Friday to get a jump start so we don't run out of time. It looks to me that we now have a three headed monster out of control.

Anyway that's my opinion. Tournaments always seem to run late. I think it would be more fun to limit the field and have time for woofing and action

Yes, but here we know (logically) that 100% of the "no cap" voters would prefer 48 to 32. Who the heck knows what Perot voters preferred between Clinton and Bush?

Anyway, if I'm free that weekend, I'll come even if I'm capped out of playing. And I will have fun. I am very surprised that people are getting stressed out by this.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Bush Sr. 38%
Ross P. 18%

Yes, but here we know (logically) that 100% of the "no cap" voters would prefer 48 to 32. Who the heck knows what Perot voters preferred between Clinton and Bush?

Anyway, if I'm free that weekend, I'll come even if I'm capped out of playing. And I will have fun. I am very surprised that people are getting stressed out by this.

i tend to agree with jim here
the 6 voters who said no cap
why did they go to the 42 cap group??

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Bush Sr. 38%
Ross P. 18%

i tend to agree with jim here
the 6 voters who said no cap
why did they go to the 48 cap group??
however
i think all you guys are working very hard and deserve alot of kudos for the effort
everyone has their right to voice their opinion
but to bill i would say this
if you sent your money in you are in since we havent met any quota yet with confirmed money
so why gripe??

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
At least it is only the beginning of July, and the tournament is late in September :)

First off, a forum by nature is going to generate debate, so it stands to reason the first member tournament concept would get lots of that -- especially since there is obviously a lot of interest.

If there is going to be one person that is the decider, I would presume to ultimately be that guy as the administrator of OnePocket.org, even though by far the labor of making this happen has been by other hands (which I very much appreciate!!). Of course nothing happens without the agreement of the host room.

Given that it is still early July, I am okay with letting the debate continue for a few more days, but I am going to get more directly engaged with Dave and John in the meantime to hopefully take a load off their stress of organizing. It does seem clear that players are willing to commit early (by sending money in) so we will know fairly early how many of our members really do want to play in this.

I posted elsewhere that September 1 should be the cut off for sending in money. Given the apparent large number of players that want to get in I would change that to August 1. That still leaves us 5-6 weeks to fine tune the format necessary to accommodate the number of players that are signed up by August 1.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Just wanted to say thanks to John, Dave, Joey, Steve and anyone else who is playing a role in making this happen, it is much appreciated!

I can certainly understand that some are not going to like the format for the first members event but you know how the saying goes "you cant please everyone all of the time..."

I know I posted this someplace else but just to reiterate, if I were voting again today, I would change from "no cap" to "32 cap" and here is why: I was worried that the all of the members who would want to attend would not have had time to send their check in or paypal and the 32 would fill up very quickly leaving some who would have made the journey change their mind.

That doesn't seem like it's the case. I mean we still don't have 32 committed with an entry fee yet. So if it were up to me, lets set the cap at 32 (first 32 paid entries). Then on the day of the event if there are others above 32 that show or want to play and there are any locals who want to drop out, great, otherwise, we roll with the first 32.

I am also happy keeping it at no cap but my only concern would be not having enough time to finish the event over the weekend. Heck I will probably get knocked out early anyways and looking to dance! :)

JoeyM

Verified Member
From
Cartersville, GA
I plan on coming down to watch and visit some friends I haven't seen since I left the area after Katrina.

I am the new guy who voted no cap just because I want to see as much one pocket from as many players as possible. I've been playing 1 pocket about 6 months and am trying to learn as much as I can. I used to play decent 9 ball and then took a 16 year break from pool. I started hitting some balls again and met some older fellows who are trying to teach me 1 hole. By teaching, I mean taking my money until I learn to play better..LOL

I have no intentions of playing in the tournament as I would be by far the worst one there and don't want to waste anyone's time who traveled for a good match up.

I hope everyone doesn't get caught up in trying to make a perfect tournament. It's the 1st event. Some things will work and others won't. Lessons will be learned and the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc events be get better and better.

I am really looking forward to catching up with old friends and hopefully making some new ones.

PS: The WWYD posts on here are fantastic. They are helping me learn a great deal.

Good luck to everyone playing and have fun.

JoeyM

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I plan on coming down to watch and visit some friends I haven't seen since I left the area after Katrina.

I am the new guy who voted no cap just because I want to see as much one pocket from as many players as possible. I've been playing 1 pocket about 6 months and am trying to learn as much as I can. I used to play decent 9 ball and then took a 16 year break from pool. I started hitting some balls again and met some older fellows who are trying to teach me 1 hole. By teaching, I mean taking my money until I learn to play better..LOL

I have no intentions of playing in the tournament as I would be by far the worst one there and don't want to waste anyone's time who traveled for a good match up.

I hope everyone doesn't get caught up in trying to make a perfect tournament. It's the 1st event. Some things will work and others won't. Lessons will be learned and the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc events be get better and better.

I am really looking forward to catching up with old friends and hopefully making some new ones.

PS: The WWYD posts on here are fantastic. They are helping me learn a great deal.

JoeyM

Welcome to the forums Joey!

You have the right idea about getting better at 1p..just keep playing people who are better than you and learn stuff along the way. If you find yourself getting into predicaments you don't know how to get out of, feel free to post on here as there is a lot of knowledge from a lot of players.

See you in September!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Bush Sr. 38%
Ross P. 18%

Heh, heh. That's a good comparison.:) The poll might have been posed, "Do you want a cap or not?". Then if "cap" got the votes, the follow up might have been "32 or 48?". As it was, we had two apples and one orange.;)

But as Dave said, there have been 27 paid already. So if it were to be limited to 32, then there would be 5 spots left. If 48, then there are 21 left. Perhaps a compromise could be 40 players? Coincidentally that's how many are already listed on the paid tally list.

~Doc

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
If you want to know why I was frustrated, it's this. Friday was the last day I read anything on the forum about the event. The poll which I thought was supposed to be definitive was underway.
Tuesday I look to see the results of the poll only not to find it because so many post had something to say about how the poll was ignored or counted in a fashion that could only be interpreted by a Clinton counter. I am going to add B to C because they are apples and oranges and that is more fruit than just apples.
So in the five days of thinking things were being managed, they became completely unmanaged.
I don't care if you think I don't have the right to vent, I'm retired and like a nice smooth life. If I wanted a ruffled life, I could go in the next room and put two cats together.
I was upset because I thought progress was being made and we were headed in a direction. I felt that way so much that I had already paid my entry and my flight, and booked my reservation for a room.
If I book a reservation for the DCC to watch the one pocket only, I don't expect to find out the one pocket is first, banks are second, and the ten ball, yuck, is third. Get it fans? I am not mad at anyone in particular but at the process. If three people have been chosen to figure out the thing, GRRRRRRRReat.:lol

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

JoeyM

Welcome aboard.

Nice post. I look forward to meeting you. Be sure to look me up when we get there. (You'll probably think it's Brad Pitt, but I'm a couple of pounds lighter. :p )

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
One more thing before I come back next week for the next cluster ........:lol
One pocket.org represents the game one pocket. :heh
Most tournaments for one pocket, major and other wise are played with a winners and a losers bracket. For one pocket.org to have a tournament that represents any other format would suggest that as the prevailing forum for one pocket we don't consider that format good enough for our tournament. :frus
Remember that this tournament will one day grow into a national event, because of streaming, it will reach thousands of players who do not belong to our organization. We want those new members. We want to attract new players and interest to the best game pool has to offer.
More of my two cents. I am going shopping and I will be using cash to hopefully get more pennies.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
but to bill i would say this
if you sent your money in you are in since we havent met any quota yet with confirmed money
so why gripe??[/QUOTE]

Because I AM MEMBER who is retired with nothing better to do with my time but stir up ship.
No not really. The thinking of how things were added was mind boggling. I am more of a linear thinking that a+b=c, not b+c=d.
I have a right to my opinion like everyone else. Someone else questioned my wanting it played on the Best Coast as a detriment. You can pick apart anyone and their speech if you like. I am tough enough to go cry in the bathroom by myself sitting on my pity pot.
Anyone with some Kleenex?:lol