Who Made You?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I have lived in Ohio, Georgia, Maine, and Las Vegas and I actually owe my onepocket, and bank games to someone with some Chicago ties (I Like those windy city guys, but my opinon differs on quite a few things considering pool in Chi-Town) and the guy who actually taught me the most was Glen Knowles he may not have been a world beater but his knowledge on the two games was solid and he got great mileage from it for that vertical stance he used to use. RIP Glen

Now you are talking about somebody who knew how to play one pocket. Fat Glenn and I played many times, Johnston City, the Rack, etc. I now feel bad because I forgot to put him in my book. I used to know Glenn's home town where his family lived, but I have forgotten it. It was in Ohio, that part I didnt forget.

Glenn was playing (I forgot who --- brutal getting old, maybe Cardone or Billy Smith remembers who) at the Rack. He had a game he was supposed to win at. He was getting staked by Redd Fox and was playing high, of course. But he shit all over himself and dogged his brains out. He was shaking like a leaf when he was playing. Rather than Redd Fox taking Glenn to task, he gave him $1000 and told him to send it home to his wife and kids (which is what Glenn did with every score he made anyway), then go get some rest and come back and play again the next day with a better, more relaxed attitude.

The next day, Glenn came back fresh as a daisy, and of course, he barbecued the guy he was playing.

Was it Youngstown, OH? That sounds about right.

Beard

Glenn and I played Banks and One pocket. He banked good, but he was much tougher in one pocket. Now that you have mentioned it, was Glenn originally from Chicago? That rings a bell. I havent seen or heard about Glenn in at least 35 years.

Incidentally, I only credit a few humans with really knowing how to play one pocket. Glenn was on a very short list. Glenn's knowledge far surpassed his God-given ability.

Last edited:

sidepocketkid

Verified Member
grover lines from grovers hip pocket in west palm got me into playing one pocket. not because he liked me but so he could rob me twice a week. :eek:

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Nineball Billy

Nineball Billy

Hey Bill, I'm the guy that took you downtown Baltimore. The poolroom was called The Plaza. What happened was we where too young I think I was 17 or 18 and your age was the same as mine.I'm 70 now and I think your about the same. The guy's name was Larry Sapia You had to be 21 to play pool after 11PM so a guy named Harry Levin said we could play at his house. Larry's brother was a BM he backed Larry.The total money won was 2800.00 you gave me 25% you had another guy with you.I think the car was a convertible Chevy Impala color white with red interior. We met at Bennies poolroom where you beat 2 other pool players and I asked you how good do you play and your answer was I can beat anybody in Baltimore so I took you downtown to the Plaza. Over 50 years ago .Take Care, FastEddieF.

Last edited:

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Hey Bill, I'm the guy that took you downtown Baltimore. The poolroom was called The Plaza. What happened was we where too young I think I was 17 or 18 and your age was the same as mine.I'm 70 now and I think your about the same. The guy's name was Larry Sapia You had to be 21 to play pool after 11PM so a guy named Harry Levin said we could play at his house. Larry's brother was a BM he backed Larry.The total money won was 2800.00 you gave me 25% you had another guy with you.I think the car was a convertible Chevy Imperial color white with red interior. We met at Bennies poolroom where you beat 2 other pool players and I asked you how good do you play and your answer was I can beat anybody in Baltimore so I took you downtown to the Plaza. Over 50 years ago .Take Care, FastEddieF.

What's a 'BM'?

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I am still working on being made. Not much chance of that happening at this stage in life. :)

Anyway, when I was learning the game, nobody would tell you anything except to shut up and stay out of the way. So I learned by playing and watching mainly. Although there was one guy who was a pretty good short-stop level player who showed me a few things, and he got my money for his effort. I eventually got to where I could beat him at all the games. He owned a big pet shop in Dallas and offered to stake me on the road, but by that point I had decided I didn't want to try to make a living playing pool. After that I mostly just hustled bar table action while I was in school to help pay the bills. Then I hung it up for a long time.

About six months ago the bug bit me again and I bought a table. My goal now is to learn the right way to play the game because I feel like I never did when I was young.

I've always known there was a right way to play because I saw it done by a guy named San Jose Dick while I was coming up. He was phenomenal. Unbeatable. Everything about his game was unreal, from his execution to his self-confidence to his smarts. And that was everybody's opinion, even the very good players. I was too scared as a kid to even talk to him much less ask him a question about pool. You just didn't do that back then. Imagine the thrill for me when I came on this site and bumped into him.

So, I'd say my main inspiration was Dick. Not because he taught me anything in particular, but because he showed how great the game can really be played. I'll never have the execution skills back to play that way now, but I figure I can still learn the knowledge anyway. And that's mainly what I am looking for (along with taking some of these old roadies and hustlers I play against in the local tournament to the wood shed every now and then :)) .

Skin

Skin,

Just caught this 4 year old thread, and realized I had never thanked you for all the compliments you threw my way in your post...(And of course, maybe to 'gloat' a little too)..;)..Yes, I remember 'Times Square', and Dallas, like it was yesterday..But it sure as hell wasn't, was it ?...I must admit, it sure feels good to hear such praise coming, from someone in the distant past..Obviously, you were young and impressionable in those bygone days but, I still can't believe I never acknowledged your kind rememberances !

You must have seen me book a few losers too, though.. Because I recall a few years ago, you also credited me for making you realize, that pool can be a dead end street..I believe I said,..."In those days, I carried my entire net worth, in my front pocket, sometimes in large bills, sometimes small"...remember ?... You were smart enough to see that, and made the very wise choice to get your education, and do something with your life..I'm sure glad you did, and Thanks again, (for the first time.) ;)

Dick

PS..Hope my digging up this old post, does not cause you any grief, Skin !...In the ensuing 4 yrs, I have gotten older, and grouchier. And, at times gotten crossways with a few folk's on the forum.. They may well take offense at anyone who says anything positive about my 'good years'..To them I ask, have y'all EVER missed a chance to acknowledge, (or [sic] gloat over) a compliment ?..I think not ! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Helped my game the most.

Helped my game the most.

My game isn't anything to speak of and I didn't learn from one of the big names but OnePocket.org is a players organization dedicated to One Pocket and I'd like to give credit to the player who introduced me to the game 33 years ago.

Rick "RC" Redwood taught me a lot about pool and One Pocket was one of the best parts. Trying to grasp ideas like trap shots, cleaning house, and protecting my pocket was tough at that age. Even though it was in Los Angeles he taught me what you all call Chicago style, Lock him down and load up my pocket style.
He was a thinking player and I respected that, I just tried to follow his ideas without understanding them that well at the time. I hope he's doing well.