'Whitey's Around the World Bank'

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Whiety, Howdy;

As the kids say (way to much & to often), AWESOME :eek:!!!

Reminds me of one of those televised tourneys from the early
2000's where if there was a tie then the players had to shoot
a 7 railer and land either on or closest to a $100.00 bill placed
next to the lower Left pocket. But they were only on a 9 footer
not your 10. If I remember correctly those were the Trick
shot folks.

Well done young fella.

hank

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Cooler & Hank, thanks guys!

I believe Cooler will really appreciate this, for on my table coming off of the final 2nd diamond to pocket the ball just does not go in, for it more closer to the 3rd diamond to go in. But what I think is happening is that the ob is gaining more spin as it is going around the table, thus continuing to stretch the angle as it contacts each rail, and it went in!

Hank, yes it is in trick competition. Their actually coming short of the pocket from making it, but instead play to contact the long side rail then the end rail, and come out to rest upon the $100 bill or whomever comes the closest. I believe it adds up to 8 rails. Whitey

Last edited:

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Whitey, Howdy;

All I remember is I sat there with my mouth open for about a minute when the
first shooter did it. I musta looked like :eek:.

Them folks are good but I got a feelin' you're better.

hank

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
'Whitey's Around the World Bank'

Great shot Whitey! When I was about 21 I saw Alan Hopkins shoot that shot in an exhibition and I never forgot it. But that was on a bar table.. eek.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Cooler & Hank, thanks guys!

I believe Cooler will really appreciate this, for on my table coming off of the final 2nd diamond to pocket the ball just does not go in, for it more closer to the 3rd diamond to go in. But what I think is happening is that the ob is gaining more spin as it is going around the table, thus continuing to stretch the angle as it contacts each rail, and it went in!

Hank, yes it is in trick competition. Their actually coming short of the pocket from making it, but instead play to contact the long side rail then the end rail, and come out to rest upon the $100 bill or whomever comes the closest. I believe it adds up to 8 rails. Whitey

whitey
if we look at the last 2 rails of the balls journey( short rail long rail to the corner)
try this
the object ball as it comes off the side rail seems to me to be as if it started on a line from the side pocket to the middle diamond on the short rail
if you hit a ball on that line using 3 oclock spin
it goes from the middle diamond on the short rail towards the 2nd diamond on the side rail and to the corner (at least it did this morning on my 9foot table )
this sort of shows that the object ball has picked up maximum spin as it goes around the table
jmho
i hope you can follow what i am trying to say

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
whitey
if we look at the last 2 rails of the balls journey( short rail long rail to the corner)
try this
the object ball as it comes off the side rail seems to me to be as if it started on a line from the side pocket to the middle diamond on the short rail
if you hit a ball on that line using 3 oclock spin
it goes from the middle diamond on the short rail towards the 2nd diamond on the side rail and to the corner (at least it did this morning on my 9foot table )
this sort of shows that the object ball has picked up maximum spin as it goes around the table
jmho
i hope you can follow what i am trying to say
Thanks, for confirming what I suspected. In shooting this bank I use center ball to help keep the ob coming off the first three rails flatter to stretch the bank, but it doubled so tight out of the lower corner pocket it got a lot of induced spin and then barely cleared the side pocket, and from there it did as you stated. Coming off the final rail you can see the ob spinning but it dissipated and thus straightened out on the path to the hole.

By the corner pockets the rails are softer from wear and tear so this also added spin which made the whole bank pretty dramatic. In review I feel the pool gods was showing off their stuff and it was completely out of my control, and all I could do was watch in awe.

For those of you that are wondering what were discussing, the bank should of come off the final rail at about the 3rd diamond on my table to make it. Instead the added spin stretched the angles and it made it off the 2nd diamond. Plus the added spin also added speed to the ob, and without it would of landed short, for I felt I did not hit it hard enough.

I was initially banking this shot off the near side rail before the side pocket, for this favors flattening out the bank and stretching it to get it to come off near the final 3rd diamond. But, in using that much power near the rail it was hard to keep the ob from jumping up off the first two rails. thanks, Cooler! Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
You must have had an extra bite or two of Wheaties that morning, Dennis...:) That took a powerful stroke.

~Doc

Yeah, you are exactly right, I felt like 'Angels in the Outfield' a little something extra in the old arm, where did that come from? I can't believe my old table is still up to the task, it really came through!
Thanks for the comment I really appreciate it. Dennis

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Great shot Whitey! When I was about 21 I saw Alan Hopkins shoot that shot in an exhibition and I never forgot it. But that was on a bar table.. eek.

That would be quite a shot to witness live by Hopkins! It would be flying around there on a bar table.
I can imagine a 9 rail bank on a bar table, but not sure it could be stretched to double out of the corner instead of making it, and would the cushions be up to the task.
I first did this bank in around '69. Not possible to imagine then that I would be sharing this bank 50 yrs later, it is fun stuff.
Thanks for the comment, I really appreciate it! Whitey

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I am thinking this is a world record for distance of a bank shot! What do you guys think? Guinness here we come! Whitey
There's probably a source for that, maybe Mike Shamos or Bob Jewett. Jewett I think can be reached via AZ forums.

Seems to me I recall that Hoppe did a multi-rail kick, like 8-10 rails, although that seems impossible. On today's lightening fast cloth it might be possible to get high multi-rails.

I tried your 7 rail shot. I could get to the 7th rail, but it only went about a foot off the 7th cushion. Wouldn't nearly get to the pocket. And that's on a 9-foot table..:(

~Doc

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Doc, I am starting to look into the Guinness, they have a site were a guy can log on. Have not done that yet, so I not aware of their requirements. Thanks for trying the shot, maybe you need a little 'Angel in the Outfield' like I got!

Cooler, I tried doing as you say from the side pocket and it does take a fair amount of spin at pocket speed to make it. I also hit from the foot rail corner pocket to just past the side pocket, and wow I have to really juice it up to make it at pocket speed.
As per our conversation about Diamonds having plenty of speed to make this bank, but I guess their rails run shorter, so if this is the case then this shot would be hard to make on a Diamond, for the trick is to make the shot run long.

Thanks guys for the comments, I really appreciate it! Good luck to those that are trying this bank! Whitey