Which side do YOU to prefer to break froom playin 1 pocket?

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I agree with LSJohn and Straightback. There are pluses and minuses for each side. I recall Grady going into detail about the break side in one of his excellent videos (perhaps the "Finer Points of One Pocket"). His conclusion was that the various arguments pretty much even-out to where it shouldn't make much difference, providing that the equipment is not an issue.

The point about from which side the breaker is better at making spot shots is compelling, although perhaps not enough to tip the scales. I've always practiced shooting spot shots to the right-side pocket because I felt that shooting from the other side was easier, so I wanted to try to even it out. Now it really doesn't seem to matter.

I think most right-handers typically shoot a spot shot to the left more naturally than to the right, as they do so with most shots to the left. For a right-hander, shooting cuts to the left almost feels like they're shooting "with the grain" in contrast to shooting "against the grain". Not to be cosmic or anything... To the left seems more open, whereas to the right seems closed. There are better ways to say that.:rolleyes:

~Doc

Doc, you mention you feel about, RH players that they prefer to cut balls to the left then right. Is the reasoning have anything to do "eye dominance" or just because they're arm and body is on the "opposite" side of the direction you're cutting the ball?

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Funny, Doc. I am the complete opposite. Right handed and would much rather shoot a spot shot to the right. Not to backtrack, but I wonder if that has to do with me being extremely left eye dominant.

Mitch, I am the EXACT same way, and left eye dominance was the conclusion I reached. Buddy Hall often proposed this same theory.

I am so left-eye dominant that sometimes I just don't like the way cut shots to the right look. I think this is because I am being forced to use more of my right eye.

It sounds silly, but i have even considered wearing a patch around the house to get my right eye up to snuff!

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
Speaking of breaking the balls, has anyone ever heard of the "Mexican Break?"

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Aiming with your dominant eye should be hard wired into your muscle memory
long before you started playing one pocket. Which way to cut a ball sounds weird to me. You should know where to hit either side.
Rod.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
long before you started playing one pocket. Which way to cut a ball sounds weird to me. You should know where to hit either side.
Rod.

I think it might have to do with not having dominant eye directly over the shaft. When not, it changes your perceived line of aim.

I've heard that for a right-hander left-eye dominance is advantageous in golf and baseball but detrimental for pool because it's more natural to put the right eye over the shaft.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Rod.

Me too,Little Buddy. If you like to cut one way better than the other...Ya got problems...big ones:lol John B.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
instead of which side, i'm actually more interested on where guys place the cue ball.

i'm three fingers off the rail at the head string.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Doc, you mention you feel about, RH players that they prefer to cut balls to the left then right. Is the reasoning have anything to do "eye dominance" or just because they're arm and body is on the "opposite" side of the direction you're cutting the ball?
It's more the latter, Bill. And of course that was just a generalization based on my own preferences. Eye dominance may have a big influence on it too.

~Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
instead of which side, i'm actually more interested on where guys place the cue ball.

i'm three fingers off the rail at the head string.
I put the CB on the line from the corner pocket by me to the OB. That way I can shoot a half ball hit. I'd rather aim at a HBH because I want to know exactly where to aim. The only time I change the CB position is if it's for position purposes.

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Rod.

I think it might have to do with not having dominant eye directly over the shaft. When not, it changes your perceived line of aim.

I've heard that for a right-hander left-eye dominance is advantageous in golf and baseball but detrimental for pool because it's more natural to put the right eye over the shaft.

Me too,Little Buddy. If you like to cut one way better than the other...Ya got problems...big ones:lol John B.
disclaimer
I COULD BE WRONG,,,,,,,,:eek:
BUT
from my understanding a a right handed shooter that is left eye dominant
should find LEFT CUT SHOTS easier than RIGHT CUT SHOTS
that player should fing he has a tendency to hit right cut shots alittle too thick
the reason being
when you cut to the left your left eyeis controlling the shot AND
your left eye is also along the shot line and edge of the cue ball hitting the ball
when you cut to the right
your right eye wants to take over forcing you to hit the ball fat
until you hit enough balls to get your subconcious to compensate
gene albrecht (sp) of perfect aim is a proponent if this
jmho
icbw

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I like to break from the right side, Because my bridge off the rail feels better. However... if the table is leaning the wrong way for me, I'll switch:lol John B.

Skipper
You'll break'em better with your bridge hand on the table. :)
Rod.
P.S. Never be to old to learn something.

John Brumback

Verified Member
disclaimer
I COULD BE WRONG,,,,,,,,:eek:
BUT
from my understanding a a right handed shooter that is left eye dominant
should find LEFT CUT SHOTS easier than RIGHT CUT SHOTS
that player should fing he has a tendency to hit right cut shots alittle too thick
the reason being
when you cut to the left your left eyeis controlling the shot AND
your left eye is also along the shot line and edge of the cue ball hitting the ball
when you cut to the right
your right eye wants to take over forcing you to hit the ball fat
until you hit enough balls to get your subconcious to compensate
gene albrecht (sp) of perfect aim is a proponent if this
jmho
icbw

Not that it probably means much Larry ( just throwing it out there),but I am right handed and left eyed dominant. I have to shoot guns left handed but that's the only thing I do left handed.I don't have a clue where my eyes are over the cue,to this day. Like Rod said...that should have come to ya about the first hour you shot pool.Some of this stuff they come up with is just mind boggling to me. Just practice and never think about it...believe me....It'll come to ya people. ( Meaning...IE: you won't have to think and worry about it:D ) (inside tip):lol John B.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Skipper
You'll break'em better with your bridge hand on the table. :)
Rod.
P.S. Never be to old to learn something.

Little Buddy...you promise I will never scratch off that stinkin corner ball again?:lol I'm going to work with it some. I have this feeling you are right:frus:lol Skipper

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Not that it probably means much Larry ( just throwing it out there),but I am right handed and left eyed dominant. I have to shoot guns left handed but that's the only thing I do left handed.I don't have a clue where my eyes are over the cue,to this day. Like Rod said...that should have come to ya about the first hour you shot pool.Some of this stuff they come up with is just mind boggling to me. Just practice and never think about it...believe me....It'll come to ya people. ( Meaning...IE: you won't have to think and worry about it:D ) (inside tip):lol John B.

Hey, Doc, are you reading this??

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Hey, Doc, are you reading this??

Ha! You're right, SB. I've said many times that I should have never started tinkering with my stance and alignment. I've improved in some areas, but it's also tended to confuse me, resulting in a slight lack of confidence. When a guy starts playing well, he should just leave his mechanics alone.

On the other hand with guys' different methods in their mechanics is the reason we hear statements like, "To make this shot you have to twist your wrist outward at contact, and pinch your first two toes together of your backward foot."...:D:rolleyes:

~Doc