Which side do YOU to prefer to break froom playin 1 pocket?

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

If the table is level ,I always break to the right hand pocket. One very important reason is when shooting a spot shot it is easier for me to see where to hit object ball. Another reason is, it is easier for me to put right hand English on cue ball when breaking. I have more confidence putting 1 o'clock English with a better touch for speed to hit the rack . Bottom line for me I can see the cut angle better shooting to the right. Dr.Bill said you can reach more shots shooting to right pocket I agree. All you right handed players think what is easier to make a spot shot,I would bet right hand players shoot spot shots to the right hand pocket.

I agree, and do the same. Right handed- right pocket.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Playing on a level table where neither side roles in or out. And both pockets are equal in size and hanging up. No edge in table condition. If you are right handed do you brake to the right pocket or left pocket.

If you are left handed do you brake to the left pocked or right pocket. i said most right handed players will brake to the right pocket And most left handed players will brake to the left pocket. If both sides have equal roles. And both pockets are equal also. Where neither pocket or side has a edge.

Most players brake to the Pocket according if they are right handed or left handed.

I hope you know that I'm not the only guy on here who listens to your every word. Thanks for answering my question.

TomRoden

Verified Member
im a righty

im a righty

This right hander prefers breaking from the left side.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
If the table is level ,I always break to the right hand pocket. One very important reason is when shooting a spot shot it is easier for me to see where to hit object ball. Another reason is, it is easier for me to put right hand English on cue ball when breaking. I have more confidence putting 1 o'clock English with a better touch for speed to hit the rack . Bottom line for me I can see the cut angle better shooting to the right. Dr.Bill said you can reach more shots shooting to right pocket I agree. All you right handed players think what is easier to make a spot shot,I would bet right hand players shoot spot shots to the right hand pocket.

I'm right handed, but must be left eyed or left brained or something like that... because according to this, I shoot my spot shots backwards too LOL :D:D

baby huey

Verified Member
Everyone has said that if the pockets and roll off or lack thereof is the same, they like breaking left to right for righties and visa versa for lefties. Let me through another cog in the mix. I think that another factor influencing your opening break is eye dominance. I actually think this is the main driver in choosing your break choice. Have you ever noticed which english shots you prefer to use in a extreme shot. Lastly, is the monkey see monkey do factor. We learned to play by watching and we saw every rightie break from left to right so it must be the best way to start a game of one pocket.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
i am right handed and prefer to break from the right side. after really struggling with my break for a couple of years i really have it dialed in right now. also enormously left eye dominant (i think i always have been but the lasik procedure has really magnifyed it). i know willie jopling advocated right handed players breaking from the right side asto reach rail (cue ball on long rail) shots easier.

TomRoden

Verified Member
i heard somewhere..

i heard somewhere..

maybe its true that lefties have slightly different visual perception than righties. Many artists are lefties. Wasn't Einstein a lefty ?? It would seem that lefties use a different part of the brain for motor skills. I know that eye sight and depth perception are vital for the whole " eye hand coordination " thing.
I'll have to ask my friend Google.
to be continued.......

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Left handed; I like to break from the left side (to the right pocket). When shooting toward my opponent's pocket (coincidentally, a lot of the time) my body is out of the way.

pj
chgo

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
I'm right handed, but must be left eyed or left brained or something like that... because according to this, I shoot my spot shots backwards too LOL :D:D

I realized I'm right eye dominate because I told my son about the post and he is a lefty and right eye dominate and he shoots spot shots on the left side also. there's your answer the eye your dominate on is the way you see the shots better. I deserve a cookie for telling everyone the secret of spot shots and the secret to braking the balls in one pocket.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I am faxing an oatmeal raisin cookie to Fast Eddie. I think you should make your choice based on which side you prefer to shoot the spot shots from. I am right-handed, and I like to break to the right because of spot shots. Except for that, I don't see much difference.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
maybe its true that lefties have slightly different visual perception than righties. Many artists are lefties. Wasn't Einstein a lefty ?? It would seem that lefties use a different part of the brain for motor skills. I know that eye sight and depth perception are vital for the whole " eye hand coordination " thing.
I'll have to ask my friend Google.
to be continued.......

I don't think left-eye dominance and left-brain hemisphere dominance have anything to do with one another... but I could be wrong.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Who knows what pocket Efren, prefers to break to, right or left?

BTW, obviously, He's RH!

I've seen him break at both but he tends to break st the left pocket more. Also, he breaks more conservatively, shooting from a good ways off the rail. While he does t get the best spread, you'll never see him scratch off the corner ball.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I agree with LSJohn and Straightback. There are pluses and minuses for each side. I recall Grady going into detail about the break side in one of his excellent videos (perhaps the "Finer Points of One Pocket"). His conclusion was that the various arguments pretty much even-out to where it shouldn't make much difference, providing that the equipment is not an issue.

The point about from which side the breaker is better at making spot shots is compelling, although perhaps not enough to tip the scales. I've always practiced shooting spot shots to the right-side pocket because I felt that shooting from the other side was easier, so I wanted to try to even it out. Now it really doesn't seem to matter.

I think most right-handers typically shoot a spot shot to the left more naturally than to the right, as they do so with most shots to the left. For a right-hander, shooting cuts to the left almost feels like they're shooting "with the grain" in contrast to shooting "against the grain". Not to be cosmic or anything... To the left seems more open, whereas to the right seems closed. There are better ways to say that.:rolleyes:

~Doc

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

I think most right-handers typically shoot a spot shot to the left more naturally than to the right, as they do so with most shots to the left. For a right-hander, shooting cuts to the left almost feels like they're shooting "with the grain" in contrast to shooting "against the grain". Not to be cosmic or anything... To the left seems more open, whereas to the right seems closed. There are better ways to say that.:rolleyes:

~Doc

Funny, Doc. I am the complete opposite. Right handed and would much rather shoot a spot shot to the right. Not to backtrack, but I wonder if that has to do with me being extremely left eye dominant.