Which side do YOU to prefer to break froom playin 1 pocket?

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I was having a "debate" with Artie today, about what pocket a,"right-handed" or "left-handed" player should break the balls to, playing One Pocket!

Needless to say, we had a "difference" of opinion on this topic!

Just wondering what any of the members have to say about their choice and WHY.

I changed the wording in case someone replies, that they "rail" break to a pocket!

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
The pocket where I can walk up and shoot this in. I don't shoot well off handed.
Rod.

Attachments

• shot 1.jpg
    shot 1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 0

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
.......actually my Father was...and my Son is...Ambidextrous a trait that has always made Me quite jealous.....

.......I've tried to convince Him it's an awesome ability....and He needs to embrace it.....

....I've always had to use my One-handed ability to get Me out of a pinch...when a bridge just wouldn't do.....

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I was having a "debate" with Artie today, about what pocket a,"right-handed" or "left-handed" player should break the balls to, playing One Pocket!

Needless to say, we had a "difference" of opinion on this topic!

Just wondering what any of the members have to say about their choice and WHY.

I changed the wording in case someone replies, that they "rail" break to a pocket!

As far as I can tell there is about an equal number of advantages each way. I'd rather take the pocket my opponent seems to like or go with any detected table softness. (I stated those backasswards... table first, opponent second.)

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
As far as I can tell there is about an equal number of advantages each way. I'd rather take the pocket my opponent seems to like or go with any detected table softness. (I stated those backasswards... table first, opponent second.)

LSJohn; ALL things being EQUAL, which pocket? Are YOU RH or LH?

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA

....a definite consideration.......I want my Opponant..to be uncomfortable as possible.....I'd light a match under his foot....if I thought I could get away with it.....:D

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

Really, you prefer shooting across your body rather that away from it ? :confused:
Rod.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
For some reason, I seem to be a little more comfortable cutting to the left, so all things being equal, I break to the left, because I break a little more consistently that way. Sure Rod's shot now won't work well for me, but the equivalent bank angle will -- and I betcha I get more swings at those banks than I do at his cuts :D:D

However, like others have said, you have to break towards the favorable pocket if the table leans one way. I remember playing on a table one time where the slate by the pocket lip was apparently "shaved" a little and the balls really tended to fall into that pocket -- you had to break that way or get robbed.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I am right-handed. I try to break from both all the time so that I am not dependent on one side, and so that I can equally practice both sides. For the cash, however, I like to break on the left side of the table, cutting the one to my right, and I prefer to break off the rail but will break where the table dictates.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
LSJohn; ALL things being EQUAL, which pocket? Are YOU RH or LH?

I'm right-handed, not ambidextrous, and usually break from the right if I have the first break in a match. Otherwise, I just break at the pocket my opponent chooses. It might make him a little too comfortable having his preferred pocket every game.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Really, you prefer shooting across your body rather that away from it ? :confused:
Rod.

I'm gonna have some of those shots either way, and I've heard enough arguments both ways from players whose games I respect to consider it a non-issue. I don't even remember whose argument I liked well enough to choose breaking from the right when all things are equal. It had to do with what he considered the relative value of the shots that became difficult each way.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
I break to the right hand pocket like Rod. What did Artie say?

Playing on a level table where neither side roles in or out. And both pockets are equal in size and hanging up. No edge in table condition. If you are right handed do you brake to the right pocket or left pocket.

If you are left handed do you brake to the left pocked or right pocket. i said most right handed players will brake to the right pocket And most left handed players will brake to the left pocket. If both sides have equal roles. And both pockets are equal also. Where neither pocket or side has a edge.

Most players brake to the Pocket according if they are right handed or left handed.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I prefer breaking to the right pocket for the reason that you can reach most shots more comfortably than shooting to the left pocket. I also believe that when balls are being run on the foot end of the table your potential for running balls is at it's highest, and for a right handed player the right pocket will offer you better opportunities then the left pocket will..when it counts the most.

Bill Incardona

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I prefer braking to the right pocket for the reason that you can reach most shots more comfortably than shooting to the left pocket. I also believe that when balls are being run on the foot end of the table your potential for running balls is at it's highest, and for a right handed player the right pocket will offer you better opportunities then the left pocket will..when it counts the most.

Bill Incardona

Ed Zachery lite. :)
Rod.

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Right is Right

Right is Right

If the table is level ,I always break to the right hand pocket. One very important reason is when shooting a spot shot it is easier for me to see where to hit object ball. Another reason is, it is easier for me to put right hand English on cue ball when breaking. I have more confidence putting 1 o'clock English with a better touch for speed to hit the rack . Bottom line for me I can see the cut angle better shooting to the right. Dr.Bill said you can reach more shots shooting to right pocket I agree. All you right handed players think what is easier to make a spot shot,I would bet right hand players shoot spot shots to the right hand pocket.