Which city has the best pool scene?

James Nelson

Verified Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2004
Messages
8
Has anybody ever heard of...

Has anybody ever heard of...

A guy named James Waldon from OK or Neil ?? from Colorado. I saw Neil play Cliff Joyner even Neil lost, but not by much. One heck of a strong player, also I hear stories of a guy in the Carolina's who is little and wears his glasses upside down. Broke alot of players back in the day. James Waldon came to are poolhall and busted it, he played One Pocket like a master. Hey, Ronnie Allen came around and stayed for about three months last year.I don't think he did to well. One think I noticed was he gave hugh spots that is why I think he lost. Be on the look out for a deaf kid named Shane plays like a pro and loves to bet high. I was also wondering if anybody had any Dave Matlock stories to tell or Ed Kelly. From what I hear Dave Matlock was the best on a bar box at one time and Ed Kelly was one of the best all around players of all time. :D

Thanks James Nelson 22 with nothing to lose.
 

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
Messages
9,419
"Champagne" Eddie Kelly

"Champagne" Eddie Kelly

James Nelson said:
I was also wondering if anybody had any Dave Matlock stories to tell or Ed Kelly. From what I hear Dave Matlock was the best on a bar box at one time and Ed Kelly was one of the best all around players of all time. :D

Thanks James Nelson 22 with nothing to lose.
Hi James,

You're right about Eddie Kelly. I saw him play quite a bit in L.A. in 1969. He and Ronnie Allen matched up at Big Momma's Billiards in North Hollywood, which was owned by a guy named "Coke"-- who was very "alert". Ronnie gave Eddie 9-8 in one-hole. I don't recall who came out money winner, but the session ended up in a fist fight. Kelly was a hot-headed Irishman at the time, and Ronnie would get in your face too. When they weren't at each other's throats, they both put on dazzling displays of one-pocket shots that I hadn't seen before, nor have I seen since.

Then Kelly turned right around and won the World Pocket Billiard Championships held at the Elks Club in L.A. near MacArthur Park!

Ronnie was never comfortable playing tournaments. He required the raucousness of the gambling rooms.

Doc
 

James Nelson

Verified Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2004
Messages
8
gulfportdoc said:
Hi James,

You're right about Eddie Kelly. I saw him play quite a bit in L.A. in 1969. He and Ronnie Allen matched up at Big Momma's Billiards in North Hollywood, which was owned by a guy named "Coke"-- who was very "alert". Ronnie gave Eddie 9-8 in one-hole. I don't recall who came out money winner, but the session ended up in a fist fight. Kelly was a hot-headed Irishman at the time, and Ronnie would get in your face too. When they weren't at each other's throats, they both put on dazzling displays of one-pocket shots that I hadn't seen before, nor have I seen since.

Then Kelly turned right around and won the World Pocket Billiard Championships held at the Elks Club in L.A. near MacArthur Park!

Ronnie was never comfortable playing tournaments. He required the raucousness of the gambling rooms.

Doc
Hey, thanks for the response, it seems like this forum is not picking up the people like I thought it would when I first joined it. I wounder if it is because of it just being one pocket based. Hey, out of curiosity was Dallas West as strong as people say he was. You alway hear of Ronnie, and Danny "Mr. NineBall" in poolhalls , but would about the other greats. I do not hear to many stories about them. Where they one year champs and then you never heard of them again or what. I guess people get married and start their careers. Then Pool becomes an after thought. What do you guys think about the APA and the BCA are they better for pool. I always here people talking about the bad things in pool and that is why pool will never become a "reconized sport". "Who Cares". I like sitting there talking to the old guys and watching them smoke, getting "Belly Hooked" by the table. they eat red meat, are always drink to much and still can shoot great. I love being in the poolhalls for that reason. The gambling and far fetched stories are just fantastic... :)
 
Last edited:

70niner

Verified Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2004
Messages
13
San Francisco is a great town for a vacation, but not the greatest for one pocket action, the regular lock up artists are there, most people have real high rents and do not have much $ to gamble with. Just one big black guy named CB who will play just about anyone for $50-100 a game, just walk in the door and have at him. The last real big action was 4 months ago when Rafael Martinez and Billy Palmer played a race to ten for $5000. Not much more than that, plus the tables at FAmily have gone down. They need to refelt the tables, I really hate when room owners let the cloth get down to where you can almost feel the slate. Especially at $10-12 an hour.
 

thebigdog

Verified Member
Joined
May 26, 2004
Messages
35
70niner said:
San Francisco is a great town for a vacation, but not the greatest for one pocket action, the regular lock up artists are there, most people have real high rents and do not have much $ to gamble with. Just one big black guy named CB who will play just about anyone for $50-100 a game, just walk in the door and have at him. The last real big action was 4 months ago when Rafael Martinez and Billy Palmer played a race to ten for $5000. Not much more than that, plus the tables at FAmily have gone down. They need to refelt the tables, I really hate when room owners let the cloth get down to where you can almost feel the slate. Especially at $10-12 an hour.
CB is in action every night. He plays pretty strong, although I did see Tony Chohan give him 8-6 and the breaks, and just destroy CB. But he does take on all challengers. As far as the match between Rafael and Billy Palmer, there has been some things said about how the match went down, and all I know is that Rafael left town shortly after that.
 

JoeyA

Verified Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2004
Messages
317
One pocket Action

One pocket Action

thebigdog said:
I am in the Coast Guard here in the bay area have one more year left on this assignment. Some possiblilities for me are San Francisco again lots of strong one pocket here, Boston, Charleston, SC. Miami, Fl. Panama City, Fl. Honolulu, and Mobile, Al. Any of these other cities have good one pocket scenes?
Big Dog, you can get some nice action in Mobile, Al. Breakers Billiards.
 

JoeyA

Verified Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2004
Messages
317
davAmundo said:
I have been given the choice of the following duty stations:

Des Moines, Iowa
Butte, Montana
Shreveport, Louisiana
Houston, Texas

Where am I most likely to find a one-pocket scene?

DavAmundo
YOu won't get much one pocket action in Shreveport, LA. New Orleans is a different story.
JoeyA
 

Smorgass Bored

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
178
JoeyA said:
You won't get much one-pocket action in Shreveport, LA. New Orleans is a different story.
JoeyA
So is Tampa,FL. Besides a whole bunch of B & C class players, you can jump up there with locals Buddy Hall, Ray Martin, Rodney Morris, Richie Richeson, C.M.Lee, etc. and a group or road players always passing through. With about 20 poolrooms within about a 30 minute drive, there are tournaments every night of the week and the Florida Pro Tour, not to mention Tommy Kennedy's Tour stops and the King's Bay Amateur Tour... If you can't find one-pocket action in Tampa, then you aren't leaving the house... imo
 

bjspivey

Verified Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2004
Messages
63
ACTION IN SHREVEPORT,La

ACTION IN SHREVEPORT,La

THERE IS ACTION IN SHREVEPORTtry SIDE POCKETS 2013 nelson st.[behind ECKARDS] off market st. north.DEB&BRETT owners real friendly,they run a 9 ball Tor/every Sat at 7 pm 40 or so players show every weekend add $$ all on bar tables ,I took R.A, there Hell,even Eddie Taylor goes there, Lots of action. When I walked in 3 or 4 1-hole action!!!! I told them we woud be back next Sat to play 100.00 or up. Any way R, A, & I stopped to use the restroom at a truck stop on 20 and R, A,Headed for the head, he triped and fell on some crack in sidewalk hit his head passed out ect.drama drama after we got back to Longview& I got him to Hospital ex-rays and all,drama.drama, went to doctors ect,ect, R,A,mixed a few knowing he was out of coma and left!!! I think it was because Your"s trully caght 3 -[6to8lb] catfish when he kept handing me his pole when he went to get a beer!!! I went back like I said and 4 1- hole players were waiting,I tried to talk them in to playing Tonk or Poker. No -go they wanted to play 1 hole with Ronnie, Any of you know a player name of Rabbit? Showed with bankroll to fill even my purse. So there is a little action in Shreveport boys!!!!!B.J.[ May make a score with lawyers] :ps I live on a lake full of fish, R. A . could sit on my porch & fish!!
 
Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
Messages
9,419
Smorgass Bored said:
So is Tampa,FL. If you can't find one-pocket action in Tampa, then you aren't leaving the house... imo
Tubster,

When are you planning to come up for the Gulf Coast Classic? (Grady's event) Are you going to make a week of it, or just come up on 12/8? Hope you're heart's back to fightin' speed!!

Doc
 

bjspivey

Verified Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2004
Messages
63
Action, action, At C.J's in DALLAS

Action, action, At C.J's in DALLAS

If you are in Dallas on Wednesday nite You are in Action!!! All the local Boys gather for 1-p & 9 ball on that day !!! Having fun & betting HIGH!!! B. J. the bandit :D
 

ajrack

Verified Member
Joined
May 25, 2004
Messages
26
Ed Kelly

Ed Kelly

I watched Ed Kelly run 489 straight pool !!!
...ran 89 & out /then 100 & out...4 more times with NO safeties or misses.
He was playing DIck Lane $100 race to 100 balls.
 

hemicudas

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
702
gulfportdoc said:
Tubster,

When are you planning to come up for the Gulf Coast Classic? (Grady's event) Are you going to make a week of it, or just come up on 12/8? Hope you're heart's back to fightin' speed!!

Doc
Thanks, Doc. I finally snapped. My buddy, Smorgass Bored is my buddy the Tampa Tubster. When's the last time you've seen, Marilyn Monroe/Chris, Smorg?
 

t-dog

Verified Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2004
Messages
202
100 and out?

100 and out?

ajrack said:
I watched Ed Kelly run 489 straight pool !!!
...ran 89 & out /then 100 & out...4 more times with NO safeties or misses.
He was playing DIck Lane $100 race to 100 balls.
As I have never played serious 14.1 I have wondered how does one run 100 out. I am asking about the break shot and how they make a ball. The only shot I know is the behind the stack, head ball two rails in the side. Is there another shot that has a higher percentage?
Later.........T-dog
 

Rod

Verified Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2004
Messages
76
t-dog said:
As I have never played serious 14.1 I have wondered how does one run 100 out. I am asking about the break shot and how they make a ball. The only shot I know is the behind the stack, head ball two rails in the side. Is there another shot that has a higher percentage?
Later.........T-dog

Well yes, the reason they call it 14-1 is the 1 (not specifically the 1 ball) is left as a break ball.

Rod
 

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
Messages
9,419
14.1

14.1

t-dog said:
As I have never played serious 14.1 I have wondered how does one run 100 out.
"Practice, practice, practice..." Seriously though, as Rod said, after the 14th ball is pocketed, the 15th ball is left wherever it is on the table while the other 14 are racked on the foot spot with the space over the spot empty. The skill comes in picking a ball you'd like to have as a "break ball", and leaving it until last so that when the other balls are racked you can shoot that 15th ball into a pocket and have the cueball hit the stack.

Try it, you'll like it!!

Doc

P.S. No one ever attempts to make a ball on the opening shot in 14.1.
The first shot of a match is always a safety.
 

hemicudas

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
702
Never caught on

Never caught on

gulfportdoc said:
"Practice, practice, practice..." Seriously though, as Rod said, after the 14th ball is pocketed, the 15th ball is left wherever it is on the table while the other 14 are racked on the foot spot with the space over the spot empty. The skill comes in picking a ball you'd like to have as a "break ball", and leaving it until last so that when the other balls are racked you can shoot that 15th ball into a pocket and have the cueball hit the stack.

Try it, you'll like it!!

Doc

P.S. No one ever attempts to make a ball on the opening shot in 14.1.
The first shot of a match is always a safety.
Straight Pool never caught on in the deep south, Doc. Action wasn't fast enough. One Pocket was even a tough sell at first but the more people who tried the game the more they fell in love with it. The straightest shooter didn't have to win, unlike 14-1 which usually is the case.
 

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
Messages
9,419
hemicudas said:
Straight Pool never caught on in the deep south, Doc. Action wasn't fast enough. One Pocket was even a tough sell at first but the more people who tried the game the more they fell in love with it. The straightest shooter didn't have to win, unlike 14-1 which usually is the case.
Interesting point, Hemi. I wonder if snooker faded out for the same reason? It was my understanding that it used to be common to see snooker played on the 5 x 10 tables throughout Dixie. Unfortunately 9-ball has been king for the past 30 years, and that's why I'm happy to see the re-emergence of
one-pocket. Now if only some of these 9-ball bangers in Gulfport would switch, we'd be all set!

Doc
 

NH Steve

Administrator
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Messages
8,590
gulfportdoc said:
Interesting point, Hemi. I wonder if snooker faded out for the same reason? It was my understanding that it used to be common to see snooker played on the 5 x 10 tables throughout Dixie. Unfortunately 9-ball has been king for the past 30 years, and that's why I'm happy to see the re-emergence of
one-pocket. Now if only some of these 9-ball bangers in Gulfport would switch, we'd be all set!

Doc
Portland Maine hosted one of Grady's tournaments in November, 2000. Prior to the tournament, there wasn't very much One Pocket played there -- for years -- but after the tournament there was a definite surge in One Pocket interest. Maybe your area will see an uptick as a result of Grady's coming event!
 
Top