whats this discord forum

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
is this some special forum the members have started just for themselves?

if it is why should anyone post here for their benefit if they have a secret society.

or am i missing something.

beatle...you have to know the 'secret handshake'...:heh

- Ghost<-----Applied for membership in 'discord', but they turned me down :eek: they said I played too good..:heh..:eek:...:p

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Hey beatle, no secret forum!

At the top of the website where it says "LIVE CHAT" - that's it! :)

Discord is a piece of software used for communication. It's basically like a chat room where you can talk with other like minded individuals. You can chat in the main room where everyone can see and reply or you can do it in private just like a PM on the forum. I have been using it for a while now and was introduced to it by our online gaming community.

Not only does it have the chat / typing component but it also has a good voice component to it too. So you can put on a headset and mic and talk to other people if you so choose to. Although I have thousands of hours logged in voice chat with my online gaming buddies, we have yet to try much of it on the onepocket.org discord server. Maybe someday we can use it for commentators on a match that has none set up or with no sound. I am sure we can think of some other ideas too!

It's not meant to replace our wonderful forums here or do anything else but give us one extra way to communicate with each other.

Plus, don't feel like you have missed anything because one of the best features is, it keeps everything saved. So for example, even if you have never joined the server before, once you do, you could scroll up to the very top and read every word that has been typed since the server was created. Comes in handy when I am trying to remember what my wife asked me to pick up from the grocery. I just scroll up in our PM or use the handy search feature to search through our conversations.

it's a pretty cool program and for me personally, one I will always have installed on my devices.

If anyone needs any help with getting in or any of the settings just let me know!

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
whats this discord forum

I like the idea of chatting during a streamed match. Maybe the next noteworthy match we can schedule the voice chat to coincide. We could make quick bets on what will be shot heh.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
whats this discord forum

You know on second thought... I guess we could do that live chat thing on YouTube matches also. Just have to start them at the same time although no betting I’m guessing lol

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
is this some special forum the members have started just for themselves?

if it is why should anyone post here for their benefit if they have a secret society.

or am i missing something.

You have to know the shake, password and knock. I joined under my name “Bill” but I have been blackballed because I don’t know another member so I’m an outcast. It must be affiliated with the Klan or worse the Republican Party.

jalapus logan

Verified Member
Discord lends itself well to certain discussions, but will never be a good platform for the wwyd threads, which I really enjoy on this site. You guys are an enthusiastic and knowledgeable bunch and thanks for doing those and more.

Cheers,

Neil

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Discord lends itself well to certain discussions, but will never be a good platform for the wwyd threads, which I really enjoy on this site. You guys are an enthusiastic and knowledgeable bunch and thanks for doing those and more.

Cheers,

Neil
Yes, it seems to me our discord channel is mostly a fairly casual chat area -- without the need to be too overly "on topic" for One Pocket per se. I don't see it as detracting from the forum. Once in a while there is also a rules question or the like, and I imagine whoever posts is hoping for immediate answers, lol, but I know I often don't check discord for days at a time, so for me it is definitely not very immediate. I also use it to PM cincy a lot, and it works very well for that without running up my 1P.org PM count. Plus like cincy said, you can include attachments very easily, and go back and look at the message trail very easily, which is nice. Obviously I have no idea how many others use discord for PMs. But cincy and I do back and forth quite a bit and it helps. It's closer to text messaging exchanges than it is to PMs here.

The audible option I have not tried yet at all, but apparently it offers the possibility of us sharing our own in house commentary for a One Pocket stream that has none (for example) -- or has one we are not so fond of lol.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Discord might be excellent for those of us at Derby City to easily say we have a table available -- or want to meet for dinner, etc :D

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Yes, it seems to me our discord channel is mostly a fairly casual chat area -- without the need to be too overly "on topic" for One Pocket per se. I don't see it as detracting from the forum. Once in a while there is also a rules question or the like, and I imagine whoever posts is hoping for immediate answers, lol, but I know I often don't check discord for days at a time, so for me it is definitely not very immediate. I also use it to PM cincy a lot, and it works very well for that without running up my 1P.org PM count. Plus like cincy said, you can include attachments very easily, and go back and look at the message trail very easily, which is nice. Obviously I have no idea how many others use discord for PMs. But cincy and I do back and forth quite a bit and it helps. It's closer to text messaging exchanges than it is to PMs here.

The audible option I have not tried yet at all, but apparently it offers the possibility of us sharing our own in house commentary for a One Pocket stream that has none (for example) -- or has one we are not so fond of lol.

I am in there 24/7 idling (even if I am not in front of it looking at it). For me, since I communicate with my wife, gaming community, and 1p.org - it's convenient to always be in it. So for example, at work, its in the background and when I see it light up I know that someone sent me a PM and I can check it as soon as immediately or check it later depending on what I am doing.

I also PM with probably 5 or 6 other 1p.org members on a casual basis and that is just one way it can be used. You could type something in a PM and the other person not see it for days where other times you can have a back and forth live conversation without waiting for days on the replies.

In any case, I hate to sound like a salesman (even though that is my daily profession lol) because I am in no way affiliated with discord, I just think its a useful tool and after using it for a few years and personally seeing how it can be an important tool in a community and help build a better overall camaraderie, I wanted to try and help do the same for 1p.org.

Certainly not offended if anyone doesn't choose to use it, it's free and there if you ever want to. :)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Discord might be excellent for those of us at Derby City to easily say we have a table available -- or want to meet for dinner, etc :D

good point and another good use ;)

Also we have John's cell phone list and I believe there is a FB group too?

Once we get a table or 2 maybe we can keep them between us, that would be awesome!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Hey Cincy,

I had registered and used discordbefore briefly, I clicked on the link for live chat after reading this thread and it wants me top register all over again. What's up? How does this thing work?

Thanks,
Dave

Good question Dave, that was my fault!

So basically you can use discord one of 3 ways:

1) On your phone
2) On your PC through a browser (chrome, IE, Firefox, etc)
3) On your PC through their downloadable client

I have the client installed on my machines because it gives me a little more functionality. So when I open up the discord program, it automatically takes me to the onepocket.org channel and opens the user pane so I can see those who I have communicated with via PMs.

When you are using it through your browser, for the first time, you have to have an invite link to click and then create your username. Once you have done that like a lot of you have, now when you go back to discord, you just go to the main discord page:

https://discordapp.com

Click "OPEN DISCORD"

And then it should just take you right to any servers you have joined (in this case onepocket.org).

Glad you pointed it out Dave, I changed the menu up top so that under Live Chat it now has 2 sub links:

Register - first time users would click this to create their username
Sign In - takes you right to discord app

Hope that helps explain it, sorry for the confusion!

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Good question Dave, that was my fault!

So basically you can use discord one of 3 ways:

1) On your phone
2) On your PC through a browser (chrome, IE, Firefox, etc)
3) On your PC through their downloadable client

I have the client installed on my machines because it gives me a little more functionality. So when I open up the discord program, it automatically takes me to the onepocket.org channel and opens the user pane so I can see those who I have communicated with via PMs.

When you are using it through your browser, for the first time, you have to have an invite link to click and then create your username. Once you have done that like a lot of you have, now when you go back to discord, you just go to the main discord page:

https://discordapp.com

Click "OPEN DISCORD"

And then it should just take you right to any servers you have joined (in this case onepocket.org).

Glad you pointed it out Dave, I changed the menu up top so that under Live Chat it now has 2 sub links:

Register - first time users would click this to create their username
Sign In - takes you right to discord app

Hope that helps explain it, sorry for the confusion!

I did as you suggested and got to this screen only - still confused:

Attachments

• discord screen.jpg
    discord screen.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 0