What's the call here?

koldcash

Ok I'm playing a guy some 50 a game in cape coral a while back and he scratches in the pocket, he's stuck a little and steaming and grabs the cue ball the throw it up table to me, it "comes out his hand" early and he throws the cue ball right into the stack about 6 or 7 balls move ( I just broke). Whats the call?
2 other variables, 1 he's very accident prone while steaming/losing( put a 12 inch rip in a cloth one time against me when he miscued and tried to shoot the ball off table, 2 we have been buddies for like 20 years not tight, but you know go out and eat, get drunk a few times at the bars. whats the official call and wwyd would be nice.
I tried to call loss of game, but gave up on it and just went with the scratch....

Last edited:

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Ok I'm playing a guy some 50 a game in cape coral a while back and he scratches in the pocket, he's stuck a little and steaming and grabs the cue ball the throw it up table to me, it "comes out his hand" early and he throws the cue ball right into the stack about 6 or 7 balls move ( I just broke). Whats the call?
2 other variables, 1 he's very accident prone while steaming/losing( put a 12 inch rip in a cloth one time against me when he miscued and tried to shoot the ball off table, 2 we have been buddies for like 20 years not tight, but you know go out and eat, get drunk a few times at the bars. whats the official call and wwyd would be nice.
I tried to call loss of game, but gave up on it and just went with the scratch....

20 years youse guys been playing.... rerack and get on with the game.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.

I'm sure the rules guys will be along with the Skinny.

What would be nice, if you couldn't agree about putting them back.
You break again and he owes one. Seems fair.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

by the rules he forfeits the game by moving more than one ball
i like rods idea..:)
seems fair and sociable

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Good call, except I would want ball in hand behind the head string. He scratched on the break, why not keep the same consequent for the re-break?

He breaks again and I get cue ball in hand behind the head string and he owes a ball...for the next time.:lol

Dr. Bill

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
OK here's the call. Call the owner of the pool hall and tell him he is going to lose all his business if he doesn't re-cover all his tables. No, he has all kinds of business but his tables are in pretty bad condition as of March of this year. Really, all pool halls should have his problems. That place was jam packed and half of the customers were women. I'm jealous.

koldcash

Good call, except I would want ball in hand behind the head string. He scratched on the break, why not keep the same consequent for the re-break?

He breaks again and I get cue ball in hand behind the head string and he owes a ball...for the next time.:lol

Dr. Bill
I broke, he scratched on the return......If I break and get ball in hand behind the head string, I would be tempted to really open em' up, you know

koldcash

No way I could figure where the balls were....still feel like I get the short end of the stick there....He owed one and I had BIH behind head string on my break...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
You were right. In a tournament, his action --even though unintentional-- would probably result in an Unsportsmanlike Conduct call, which would result in loss of game. [If it had been intentional, it could have been loss of match, or even expulsion from the tournament.]

In your case, it might have been possible to restore the balls to acceptable positions, then he gets a foul, and you get ball in hand in the Kitchen.

~Doc

koldcash

You were right. In a tournament, his action --even though unintentional-- would probably result in an Unsportsmanlike Conduct call, which would result in loss of game. [If it had been intentional, it could have been loss of match, or even expulsion from the tournament.]

In your case, it might have been possible to restore the balls to acceptable positions, then he gets a foul, and you get ball in hand in the Kitchen.

~Doc

I really had no Idea where the balls were it was a tight cluster, woulda been hard,possibly the best option though in hindsight

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

I like break again but I think he should owe 2. The scatter happened because he was pissed about pocket-scratching. One ball doesn't seem like near enough to me, but between longtime acquaintances, forfeit seems too harsh.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
There is a longstanding and well protected tradition in the world of one hole to make each game last as long as humanly possible (sometimes longer than humanly possible lol). If you followed the actual rules here you'd be in breach of that tradition.

koldcash

I like break again but I think he should owe 2. The scatter happened because he was pissed about pocket-scratching. One ball doesn't seem like near enough to me, but between longtime acquaintances, forfeit seems too harsh.

2 owed And the re-break.....this would of worked for me....sounds fair

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
by the rules he forfeits the game by moving more than one ball
i like rods idea..:)
seems fair and sociable

I didn't see that rule anywhere. Show me

Anyways, play game and the balls as is. It's your option, he moved them

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I didn't see that rule anywhere. Show me

Anyways, play game and the balls as is. It's your option, he moved them

you know jim i couldnt find it either.....:eek:
but i swear i know there is a rule somewhere if you disturb 1 ball it gets repositioned or stays based on the player who did not commit the foul
if you disturb more than 1 ball its loss of game
lets take an absurd example that grady told a story about which maybe some who remembers it better than me will tell it
the gist was
2 players playing
player A touches a ball and player B calls a foul
player A says if thats a fouls then here is a real foul
with that he takes his hand and sweeps the stack up table
so should the incoming player just take ball in hand and the shooter owe only 1 ball?
the stack was irreparably disturbed by the opponents actions
to me thats loss of game
icbw

John Brumback

Verified Member
Aw hell,if you are gambling you can just make the rules up as you go along.

It's so funny that I could play golf with someone that can't speak english and we both would know the rules without speaking.

But hey, if you are just gambling you can just go ahead and make up your own rules, that should make everything work out sooooooooo much better:rolleyes: JB

PS: WOW:eek:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
but i swear i know there is a rule somewhere if you disturb 1 ball it gets repositioned or stays based on the player who did not commit the foul
lets take an absurd example that grady told a story about which maybe some who remembers it better than me will tell it
the gist was
2 players playing
so should the incoming player just take ball in hand and the shooter owe only 1 ball?
to me thats loss of game
icbw

What you said was move two balls is loss of game, well I have played it's just a foul, not loss of game. Raking the balls is loss of game.

What happened to the OP is a bunch of balls moved. The normal rules are cue ball fouls only. The QB moved several balls so I would say that was a foul and he now owes two balls and play from there

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
the gist was
2 players playing
to me thats loss of game
icbw

Larry i think the rule is if you move 1 ball your opponent has the right to leave it where it is or have it replaced back to its original position. if more than 1 ball is moved it is a foul and the shooter loses a ball and his inning is over.

i still think that since these guys have been playing together for 20 years you should just rerack the balls and break them again. at that point you could agree if it happens again its loss of game. keith

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I don't think it should simply be a foul if a bunch of balls are moved. I'm curious how this is handled at say the derby and other big tournaments.

What if a guy takes an intentional and accidentally moves a few balls with his hand or cue?