What would YOU do hombre?

CaliRed

Verified Member
I was faced with this shot today, playing alone:D Once again, my peabrain couldn't come with anything good, so I did the ol'e freeze on the ball thing, which I pulled off pretty good, since it froze and blocked him (me) from shooting anything to his (me) hole.

I shot the 14 into the rail trying to clear out the 2 or 6 or both and drive towards my side and freeze on the 3 to prevent any kind of easy combo. It's froze on the 3 and makes the 8 ball bank for him kinda funny. But help me out here and give me some more ideas

First 2 pics are the shot before and last one is the result of my shot.

shot1.jpg

shot2.jpg

shot3.jpg

jtompilot

Verified Member
if you do that to me i'll try and 3 foul you. How about hitting the 12 ball and rolling whitey up to the 15. looks about a 1/2 ball hit.

NH Steve

Administrator
You confused me 'cuz the 14 ends up right about where it started it looks like. But I think I understand the problem now. Usually the high cue ball after the break gives a little extra maneuverability that helps you escape, but in this case you have some extra loose ball traffic... hmmmm

My first thought is to carom softly off of the 12 ball trying to land real close to opponent's pocket -- almost behind the 15, but of course without scratching :)

CaliRed

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
You confused me 'cuz the 14 ends up right about where it started it looks like. But I think I understand the problem now. Usually the high cue ball after the break gives a little extra maneuverability that helps you escape, but in this case you have some extra loose ball traffic... hmmmm

My first thought is to carom softly off of the 12 ball trying to land real close to opponent's pocket -- almost behind the 15, but of course without scratching :)
hehe.. yah, you're right about the 14.. didn't even notice it ended up almost exactly where it was to begin with. That's pretty wild considering it took out a ball over there and I hit it pretty firm.

I guess I need to practice the soft touches now. After being away from the game for so long, I concentrate so much on trying to get my stroke back, pocketing balls, that I haven't spent any time slow rolling balls for position with the cueball. You just think you can do it, but that's not the case.:D

androd

Verified Member
I like the shot you made just fine.;) If you roll down to the 15 ball thats ok also. Both are just a delaying action. Your shot didn't hit the 2 ball well but could've turned out better if a ball got in front of your pocket.
Rod.

Skin

Verified Member
I don't see any problem with your shot. He is shooting over balls any way he goes except if he tries to bank the 8 over. You're not in any big trouble.

btw, that stick of your looks very similar to mine. A plain Jane player--my cup o' tea. :)

Skin

blackeee

Verified Member
CaliRed said:
I was faced with this shot today, playing alone:D Once again, my peabrain couldn't come with anything good, so I did the ol'e freeze on the ball thing, which I pulled off pretty good, since it froze and blocked him (me) from shooting anything to his (me) hole.

I shot the 14 into the rail trying to clear out the 2 or 6 or both and drive towards my side and freeze on the 3 to prevent any kind of easy combo. It's froze on the 3 and makes the 8 ball bank for him kinda funny. But help me out here and give me some more ideas

First 2 pics are the shot before and last one is the result of my shot.

View attachment 1300

View attachment 1301

View attachment 1302
Looks like a pretty good shot to me. It could have worked out even better.

wincardona

Verified Member
change is a good thing.

change is a good thing.

If i'm looking at this ugly position of the balls:( i'm going to try to rearange the balls. My shot would be to shoot the 3 ball into the 10 ball into the 15 ball, using a force follow with the cue ball. The cue ball will hit the 4 ball and should follow to the foot rail to the right of the 2 ball.:cool: And you can bet i'm not rolling it.:D

Red's shot just delayed the inevitable, there are too many things your opponent can do to you from Reds's ending position, and none of them are going to make you feel good.

Billy I.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended
This is a perfect example of whether or not you should postpone the (possibly) inevitable or blast away and change the table layout. You came out good with your shot but I lean in the same direction as Bill. I would shoot the 3 into the 10 and try to carom it off the side rail into the 15. I would try to freeze the rock to the stack though. Very tough to tell what goes and doesn't go in these pics.

Dennis

CaliRed

Verified Member
thanks guys..... this is a example of how I have to change my mindset. I need to open my mind up to doing some "repositioning" ,even if it may have consequences, in certain scenarios.

I guess I"m trying to be too cute and always trying to figure out how to not give up anything, especially out of the break, but could just be delaying the inevitable and I could end up in a much worse position.

I mean c'mon... I sell out on shots I'm not trying to, why not open my mind up to removing balls from his hole, or moving some to mine, while possibly selling out?

Wouldn't that be a great feeling? You get in one of these positions, and you end up doing a controlled rearrangement shot, your opponent looks at you like your lost your mind, but the pro over in the corner gives you a nod.

Cool!

wincardona

Verified Member
CaliRed said:
thanks guys..... this is a example of how I have to change my mindset. I need to open my mind up to doing some "repositioning" ,even if it may have consequences, in certain scenarios.

I guess I"m trying to be too cute and always trying to figure out how to not give up anything, especially out of the break, but could just be delaying the inevitable and I could end up in a much worse position.

I mean c'mon... I sell out on shots I'm not trying to, why not open my mind up to removing balls from his hole, or moving some to mine, while possibly selling out?

Wouldn't that be a great feeling? You get in one of these positions, and you end up doing a controlled rearrangement shot, your opponent looks at you like your lost your mind, but the pro over in the corner gives you a nod.

Cool!
Your right once again Red.;) nod--nod--;)

wincardona

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
This is a perfect example of whether or not you should postpone the (possibly) inevitable or blast away and change the table layout. You came out good with your shot but I lean in the same direction as Bill. I would shoot the 3 into the 10 and try to carom it off the side rail into the 15. I would try to freeze the rock to the stack though. Very tough to tell what goes and doesn't go in these pics.

Dennis
Dennis, I like cutting the 3 ball to the right and playing the 10 ball directly into the 15 ball. That way you have better controll of the 3,and 10 ball, two balls that can be a problem if not controlled. It also looks like you can follow the cue ball by going into the 4 ball and ending up to the right of the 2 ball. Too often, on these troublesome type of shots you end up getting an unwanted kiss from a ball that you didn't plan on, only to foil your plan.:mad:

Billy I.

Skin

Verified Member
:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Dennis

Dennis

Dennis, I like cutting the 3 ball to the right and playing the 10 ball directly into the 15 ball. That way you have better controll of the 3,and 10 ball, two balls that can be a problem if not controlled. It also looks like you can follow the cue ball by going into the 4 ball and ending up to the right of the 2 ball. Too often, on these troublesome type of shots you end up getting an unwanted kiss from a ball that you didn't plan on, only to foil your plan.

Billy I.
Man, why are you guys shooting wild shots like that on your first shot of the game???:confused: Use the stack to hide him from his balls and play for a good angle on something to move away and towards your hole. You might even get something to clear his hole out. JMHO.

Skin

Fanatic

Verified Member
I actually really like Billy I's shot ... I don't know if i would have used forced follow though; I would have been afraid to do something that aggressive with the qball.... but i have to admit that it is a risky shot considering the traffic but if it's executed well than it is above effective and solves many problems that are apparent. I'm not fond of Cali's shot (sorry babe) at the worst i would have gone off the ten and come behing the fifteen....but being that I never play for anything :p , I would have shot Billy's shot.
XOXO

lll

Verified Member
wincardona said:
Too often, on these troublesome type of shots you end up getting an unwanted kiss from a ball that you didn't plan on, only to foil your plan.:mad:

Billy I.
as a wednesday afternoon quaterback:rolleyes:
dennis idea of going into the stack which would require a centerish ball hit and minimal movement on the q
would put one less ball in motion (ie the q) .
instead of force follow on the q
seems safer and i like leaving people in the stack

wincardona

Verified Member
lll said:
as a wednesday afternoon quaterback:rolleyes:
dennis idea of going into the stack which would require a centerish ball hit and minimal movement on the q
would put one less ball in motion (ie the q) .
instead of force follow on the q
seems safer and i like leaving people in the stack
The problem with leving the cue ball in the stack is there's no guarantee that either the 10 ball or the 15 ball will not kiss the balls in the stack and move the cue ball. But if you follow the cue ball the way I described the shot there is very little chance of a bad kiss. Trust me I know i'm a doctor.:D

Billy I.

blackeee

Verified Member
wincardona said:
If i'm looking at this ugly position of the balls:( i'm going to try to rearange the balls. My shot would be to shoot the 3 ball into the 10 ball into the 15 ball, using a force follow with the cue ball. The cue ball will hit the 4 ball and should follow to the foot rail to the right of the 2 ball.:cool: And you can bet i'm not rolling it.:D

Red's shot just delayed the inevitable, there are too many things your opponent can do to you from Reds's ending position, and none of them are going to make you feel good.

Billy I.
Now THAT is a good aggressive one-pocket shot!

wincardona

Verified Member
Skin said:
Man, why are you guys shooting wild shots like that on your first shot of the game???:confused: Use the stack to hide him from his balls and play for a good angle on something to move away and towards your hole. You might even get something to clear his hole out. JMHO.

Skin
Skin, chances are that you're not going to get another chance to clear his pocket, or move balls away. At least not a chance as good as this one. You are in a very bad situation that looks like it can only get worse. I've seen this movie too many times, and the end hardly ever changes unless you rewrite the script.;)

Billy I.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
wincardona said:
Skin, chances are that you're not going to get another chance to clear his pocket, or move balls away. At least not a chance as good as this one. You are in a very bad situation that looks like it can only get worse. I've seen this movie too many times, and the end hardly ever changes unless you rewrite the script.;)

Billy I.
Skinman,

Billy knows whereof he speaks...Especially fresh out of the break, you want to take the first minimal risk (sometimes even risky) shot you have, to rearrainge the balls more in your favor...You may not get another chance...;)

NH Steve

Administrator
Looking more and reading these suggestions and counter suggestions, I am joining the camp that likes the general idea of playing the 3-10 combination to try to remove the 15. As to exactly where to hit, I cannot tell from the photos whether it would be best to hit the lower part of the long cushion and rebound into the 15 or plan to make the 10 off the side of the 15 (thus moving the 15 away) or driving the 10 into the 15 directly to remove it. But pulling the cue ball back into the stack is appealing if it lays right for it, because you'd be less likely to leave a cross corner bank (than if you followed with the cue ball), imho.

This is beautiful, Billy:
"You are in a very bad situation that looks like it can only get worse. I've seen this movie too many times, and the end hardly ever changes unless you rewrite the script."