What Would You Do 2? Revisited

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended
This is the layout from the other thread with the cueball one diamond further back and on the same line. I believe this was the layout I originally posted in the last couple of years but it's tough to tell now since the WEI's don't work.

Quite a big change by just moving the rock back one diamond. You are shooting at pocket 'A'. What would you do?

ct1.jpg

lll

Verified Member
ok hers my take
comments are welcome:)
the 4 since its straighter takes alittle more to get shape for the next ball
dd1.jpg

lll

Verified Member
the 9 lies for a natural safe if missed and still gives you an option to run balls or improve your position
dd2.jpg

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
playing off the 5 improves your position and is easy to execute
dd3.jpg

SJDinPHX

Suspended
ok hers my take
comments are welcome:)
the 4 since its straighter takes alittle more to get shape for the next ball
View attachment 7031
OK Larry, just for you, old friend..:) Of your 3 shot choices..the only one where the ending cue ball position is even close, is the 4 ball...If you cut the
9ball, anywhere near hard enough to get to the hole, the cue ball will go 2 rails, and end up near the 4 ball..(unless you hit something, not good)
The 5 ball, as it lays, looks to be a dead center scratch shot to me, the cue ball will not hit anywhere NEAR the 1st diamond as you described it...Unless you shoot it hard enough to hold draw english, which makes it a lot more delicate shot. However given the shot options, my shot would definately be the 5 ball...I don't think even SVB would go for the 4 now..Backing it up from where it was, greatly increased the difficulty...:eek:

SuperDuck <---Hopes Larry likes 'tough luv'...:D

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
OK Larry, just for you, old friend..:) Of your 3 shot choices..the only one where the ending cue ball position is even close, is the 4 ball...If you cut the
9ball, anywhere near hard enough to get to the hole, the cue ball will go 2 rails, and end up near the 4 ball..(unless you hit something, not good)
The 5 ball, as it lays, looks to be a dead center scratch shot to me, the cue ball will not hit anywhere NEAR the 1st diamond as you described it...Unless you shoot it hard enough to hold draw english, which makes it a lot more delicate shot. However given the shot options, my shot would definately be the 5 ball...I don't think even SVB would go for the 4 now..Backing it up from where it was, greatly increased the difficulty...:eek:

thanks for the reply:)
larry is tough ...:D

NH Steve

Administrator
I don't think from this far back I would shoot the 4-ball at this point. Maybe cut the 12-ball toward the 10-ball and possibly get lucky...

What I don't like about this shot (my own shot choice, that I am illustrating) is the strong possibility of leaving a free return combo bank if the 10 & 12 balls don't treat me reasonably favorably. But as long as my speed is decent and I at least hit the 10, either side of the angle toward the pocket, I might end up with a bank blocker if the ten does not go.

Attachments

vapros

Verified Member
Well, you know me -

Well, you know me -

my glass is always half empty. The snake in this petunia patch is the 1 ball. Sure as hell, no matter where you leave the cue ball, some Filipino is going to show up and cut it in. Looks like Boingo's shot might get behind the 1 ball if he gets a little kiss off the 12 as he comes off the 14. Steve, the 12 ball passes the 10, and I think the track you see for the cue ball would be right if you shoot the 12 at the pocket rather than at the 12-10 combo. As Larry says icbw.

Of course, whatever you shoot at, if you make it there's no need to worry about the 1 ball.

backplaying

Verified Member
Cut the 5 toward the 14 playing cueball mainly behind the 1 and 13. Frozen on the rail by the 13 would put him in trouble.

androd

Verified Member
I don't think from this far back I would shoot the 4-ball at this point. Maybe cut the 12-ball toward the 10-ball and possibly get lucky...

What I don't like about this shot (my own shot choice, that I am illustrating) is the strong possibility of leaving a free return combo bank if the 10 & 12 balls don't treat me reasonably favorably. But as long as my speed is decent and I at least hit the 10, either side of the angle toward the pocket, I might end up with a bank blocker if the ten does not go.
I think in the original I shot the 9 ball. This was the shot I liked also. Great minds run deep. :)
Rod.

jtompilot

Verified Member

Hey SuperDuckie, I just shot Larry's shot twice and made it both times. The qb never hit the second rail. QB ended up almost as diagramed.:)

Jim

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Hey SuperDuckie, I just shot Larry's shot twice and made it both times. The qb never hit the second rail. QB ended up almost as diagramed.:)

Jim
Good for you Jim :p...Next time you come to Phx., I will come out of retirement to play you...;) (assuming you're talking about the 9ball ! :p)

jtompilot

Verified Member
Good for you Jim :p...Next time you come to Phx., I will come out of retirement to play you...;) (assuming you're talking about the 9ball ! :p)
You'll be the first person I call.

I like the 9 ball shot. I butchered the 4 ball too many times. So maybe all the 1P.org super stars can give me 10/7:eek:

jtompilot

Verified Member
so of the 2 shots which do you prefer and why??

or pros cons of each after trying them??
The 9 is totally natural, nothing to force. Its hit at pocket speed and if missed it hangs close and the qb doesnt go wild.

If the 4 even touches a point it can kiss two or three times and go to the opponents pocket. Also more touch is required on the qb to not draw into the 5, scratch, or what ever.

I'll add that well hit the 4 is a stronger shot, just more pitfalls also. So pick one

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
The 9 is totally natural, nothing to force. Its hit at pocket speed and if missed it hangs close and the qb doesnt go wild.

If the 4 even touches a point it can kiss two or three times and go to the opponents pocket. Also more touch is required on the qb to not draw into the 5, scratch, or what ever.

I'll add that well hit the 4 is a stronger shot, just more pitfalls also. So pick one
Sorry Jim..We will always be at odds over this shot..I'm looking at the angle of the shot, and unless you are playing on a dead rail table, (as opposed to a springy Diamond table) there is NO way to avoid selling out, the 5 or the 1ball...IF you miss the nine...(or get very lucky:rolleyes:)...Of course this is just my opinion, and I admit, this is one of the reasons I rarely venture in to these debates...Way too much room for arguing a "WEI table" layout, versus REAL live playing conditions..Also let me say, I don't think Efren, in his prime, would have "Gotten up out of the ELECTRIC CHAIR", to shoot the 9..Given ALL the other options..:confused:

PS..Are you shooting RBL's version #1 or #2 (longer shot) ??? HUGE difference..:rolleyes:

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
Sorry Jim..We will always be at odds over this shot..I'm looking at the angle of the shot, and unless you are playing on a dead rail table, (as opposed to a springy Diamond table) there is NO way to avoid selling out, the 5 or the 1ball...IF you miss the nine...(or get very lucky:rolleyes:)...Of course this is just my opinion, and I admit, this is one of the reasons I rarely venture in to these debates...Way to much room for aguing a "WEI table" layout, versus REAL live playing conditions..

PS..Are you shooting RBL's version #1 or #2 (longer shot) ??? HUGE difference..:rolleyes:
Its the version in this thread. I used a GC4 with simons 860, 4 1/2" pockets and the rails arent dead. I play all over the country and that GC4 is pretty normal. I'll set the shot up the next time I play on a Diamond. I'll even come to Phoenix again and we can set the shot up make a wager on qb position:p

I rarely play on Diamonds and when I do some bank really short, some normal like a GC, and some half way between. They are a real mixed bunch.

I did say the 4 can be a stronger shot:)

The qb is closer to the 4 in the other thread that would tilt the preference to it, but I still like the 9 also.

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended

Good option Steve..The only difference is, I am looking to put him in a VISE, if I hit it good, and I can..A good roll will not be needed..:)