What would be the rule in this situation

PreacherRonn

Verified Member
From
Mesa, AZ
An interesting situation occurred the other day. My opponent hung a ball deep in his pocket. It was so far in the pocket that I couldn't tell what kept it from dropping. I've never seen one that deep that didn't plunk.

My only real option was to slow roll the cue ball and make the ball. The cue was on my opponents side rail up by the head pocket. I slow rolled the cue down the rail to make his ball and right about the time the cue passed the side pocket the object ball fell in the pocket.

My cue doubled the corner and then occupied the space that the object ball had previously occupied. Because the object ball fell in before the cue got to it no ball contact was made.

Is this a foul? What would you do? Opinions should be fun to see.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
If I was your opponent I would agree to shoot the next shot from there.
No foul !
If he didn't want to do that, then put the balls back and shoot again.
Still no foul !
Rod.

John Brumback

Verified Member
That is a new one on me.I woud have to say also,set them back up and try It again.I just can't think what else you could do.John B.

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
The balls are replaced and the player shoots again. The same way if you are at the table "shooting" and ball falls in your opponents pocket (untouched-no contact), it is NOT counted for him.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
ok, i'll be the sole jerk off here :)......

if the cue ball doesn't (a) even make contact with an OB and (b) neither the cue ball or an OB strike a cushion after the occurrence of (a) which didn't happen......how can it be anything but a foul?

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
ok, i'll be the sole jerk off here :)......

if the cue ball doesn't (a) even make contact with an OB and (b) neither the cue ball or an OB strike a cushion after the occurrence of (a) which didn't happen......how can it be anything but a foul?

So, are you saying that you would say to him that the ball that fell is yours and that he owes one? Either way this probably is the last game he plays with you.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
So, are you saying that you would say to him that the ball that fell is yours and that he owes one? Either way this probably is the last game he plays with you.

just playing devil's advocate, hence the smiley face....

but say it happens at the finals of dcc or us open, i am kind of curious as to what the "book rule" would be.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
From the WPBA General Rules.....

From the WPBA General Rules.....

1.7 Balls Settling
A ball may settle slightly after it appears to have stopped, possibly due to slight imperfections in the ball or the table. Unless this causes a ball to fall into a pocket, it is considered a normal hazard of play, and the ball will not be moved back. If a ball falls into a pocket as the result of such settling, it is restored as closely as possible to its original position. If a settling ball falls into a pocket during or just prior to a shot, and this has an effect on the shot, the referee will restore the position and the shot will be replayed. The shooter is not penalized for shooting while a ball is settling.

ETA: Does John get a cookie?

SJDinPHX

Suspended
1.7 Balls Settling
A ball may settle slightly after it appears to have stopped, possibly due to slight imperfections in the ball or the table. Unless this causes a ball to fall into a pocket, it is considered a normal hazard of play, and the ball will not be moved back. If a ball falls into a pocket as the result of such settling, it is restored as closely as possible to its original position. If a settling ball falls into a pocket during or just prior to a shot, and this has an effect on the shot, the referee will restore the position and the shot will be replayed. The shooter is not penalized for shooting while a ball is settling.

ETA: Does John get a cookie?

That has been a universally accepted rule, ever since I've been playing pool. It can happen in any game, not just one pocket. If a ball comes to a stop, very deep in the pocket, for several seconds, just the act of approaching the table, or resting your arm to shoot, could cause it to drop.

It is rare, that it falls in just as the cue ball is rolling toward it, but it does happen. That is true also of the cue ball hanging in the jaws, if it falls in after coming to a stop...it is replaced as near as possible, to where it was.

There is no foul, in either situation. Anybody who has been around a while, should know this... But you will always have the guy who will pounce on whichever way suits him the best...Not nice to fool mother nature..:rolleyes:

PreacherRonn

Verified Member
From
Mesa, AZ
Hey Dick,

If you can get over this weekend, don't forget one pocket. I saw Ken yesterday from Hard Times he will be playing.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Hey Dick,

If you can get over this weekend, don't forget one pocket. I saw Ken yesterday from Hard Times he will be playing.
Dick better be there!, they got some leather couches for him to sleep on if he gets hammered. He still owes me around 20 bottles BTW. :lol

P.S. I will do my best to be there also and stream, been very busy lately and its kind of up in the air right now if I can make it.

PreacherRonn

Verified Member
From
Mesa, AZ
Lenny,

Your loyal fans "need you" for some they look forward to this all month long. We are going to put the B rule into effect and limit matches to two hours and 15 minutes. In addition we now have the G rule which is one 5 min break per match and the finals will now be one race to 3 instead of 2 races to 2. You can make it pal. We believe in you.

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Lenny,

Your loyal fans "need you" for some they look forward to this all month long. We are going to put the Bernie P rule into effect and limit matches to two hours. In addition we now have the Gus B rule which is one 5 min break per match and the finals will now be one race to 3 instead of 2 races to 2. You can make it pal. We believe in you.
Maybe we can all put some fire under Jimmy's ass to get the Diamond right. :frus

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
That has been a universally accepted rule, ever since I've been playing pool. It can happen in any game, not just one pocket. If a ball comes to a stop, very deep in the pocket, for several seconds, just the act of approaching the table, or resting your arm to shoot, could cause it to drop.

It is rare, that it falls in just as the cue ball is rolling toward it, but it does happen. That is true also of the cue ball hanging in the jaws, if it falls in after coming to a stop...it is replaced as near as possible, to where it was.

There is no foul, in either situation. Anybody who has been around a while, should know this... But you will always have the guy who will pounce on whichever way suits him the best...Not nice to fool mother nature..:rolleyes:

It used to be even more common with clay balls and "pilled" cloth.

I know of one instance with clay balls when the object ball split in half, half of it falling in the pocket and half staying on the table. I've never found a written rule to cover it, but the ruling at the time was the shooter got 1/2 a point (it was a straight pool game) and his inning was over. He ended up losing the match by 1/2 a point.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
It used to be even more common with clay balls and "pilled" cloth.

I know of one instance with clay balls when the object ball split in half, half of it falling in the pocket and half staying on the table. I've never found a written rule to cover it, but the ruling at the time was the shooter got 1/2 a point (it was a straight pool game) and his inning was over. He ended up losing the match by 1/2 a point.

He shoulda played shape on the other half, and kept shooting...:D:p:D (The Puckett rule, is considered cruel).:rolleyes:

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Ruling...I'll leave that to someone else.

If your adressing/striking of, or post-shot movement caused the ball to fall, play it like it lays, you owe one.

If the ball fell before you pulled the trigger, it gets put back up.

I'm almost certain most would set the shot back up.