What do you think?

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
Hi everyone

Know I haven't posted much on the forum, but I would really like some of your opinions. I have concentrated on 1P this season in AZ (still here for a few more days due to my wifes health issues). I play with a limited group of guys (all seniors) so I'm not getting a lot of variety in my games. I have days when I feel that I play ok, other days I seem to be brain dead, this game does demands total concentration.

Here's what I'm doing to try to get better.

Watching a lot of 1P on the internet
Got Tom Wirth's book
Playing daily
Trying to keep up on the forum

Am I missing something? I also should say that I'm 74. When I get back to ILL it will more difficult to get games, but if there is anyone in NW ILL that would like get together we have a room in town with Diamonds, really not looking for a gambling match as much as someone to test my skills or lack of, so table time is on me.

Hope this makes sense,

Thanks

Bob

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Hey Bob, I will chime in!

First off, I think what you are doing now is great and should for sure improve your game. The only other thing I can think of that will help is just plain old experience. A lot of the guys have played for many many years and you just pick things up along the way.

Another thing I was going to say is about the gambling part. For me, and this is just my opinion and how it works for me personally. I can't really play for the fun of it. I have to either be playing in a tournament or playing for something, even if it's cheap. Not because I am addicted to action (although I may be a little of that too lol) - but more so if there's nothing on the line, then there are no consequences for my bad shots or poor shot selections.

I will end up shooting at anything and everything. Going for the shot instead of playing safe when you can only get 1 if you make it. Trying circus style shots because you see it in your head working out...

If you are the type that can be disciplined and play the same way for free as you do when you play for money, then disregard. But if you can't then I would play for something just to make sure you are trying your best and playing the right shots.

Good luck Bob!

Mike

Verified Member
Totally agree with the "something on the line" theory. In addition, practice the weak points of you're game as you pick them up from playing.

I remember a nineball player who said to me a few times "I can't slow roll a ball". I've never seen him practice once!!!

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Hi everyone

Know I haven't posted much on the forum, but I would really like some of your opinions. I have concentrated on 1P this season in AZ (still here for a few more days due to my wifes health issues). I play with a limited group of guys (all seniors) so I'm not getting a lot of variety in my games. I have days when I feel that I play ok, other days I seem to be brain dead, this game does demands total concentration.

Got Tom Wirth's book
Playing daily

Am I missing something? I also should say that I'm 74. When I get back to ILL it will more difficult to get games, but if there is anyone in NW ILL that would like get together we have a room in town with Diamonds, really not looking for a gambling match as much as someone to test my skills or lack of, so table time is on me.

Hope this makes sense,

Thanks

Bob

I would think that playing for a hunnertt a game would improve your shot selection and your aim.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
To elaborate on what Cincy said about his taking flyers when he has nothing riding on the outcome of any one shot. The same will be true of his opponent or yours if you happen to playing for nothing. You must demand of yourself and expect from your opponent, "best effort". Anything less and you are cheating yourself and your opponent.

That being said, There was an old story about Ben Hogan, the golf pro. He watched a player on the practice tees hitting drives after having played the first round with him in a tournament. The man, throughout his round was hitting his drives beautifully, straight down the middle and long.

Ben approached him and asked why he should be practicing his drives when his approach shots were all over the place. Ben said; Practice your weaknesses first. Endeavor to turn your weaker area into consistent strengths before seeking to turn your consistent strengths into weapons.

Tom

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
To elaborate on what Cincy said about his taking flyers when he has nothing riding on the outcome of any one shot. The same will be true of his opponent or yours if you happen to playing for nothing. You must demand of yourself and expect from your opponent, "best effort". Anything less and you are cheating yourself and your opponent.

That being said, There was an old story about Ben Hogan, the golf pro. He watched a player on the practice tees hitting drives after having played the first round with him in a tournament. The man, throughout his round was hitting his drives beautifully, straight down the middle and long.

Ben approached him and asked why he should be practicing his drives when his approach shots were all over the place. Ben said; Practice your weaknesses first. Endeavor to turn your weaker area into consistent strengths before seeking to turn your consistent strengths into weapons.

Tom

Great point Tom and great quote :)

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
Thanks for the replies, maybe I should consider some cheap games, not going to happen down but might back in IL. This game is so challenging and every little improvement means something, I can honestly say some aspects of my game have definate improved just by playing, practising, watching and reading. Still a lot of room for improvement. Now I'm going to watch some live 1P

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Thanks for the replies, maybe I should consider some cheap games, not going to happen down but might back in IL. This game is so challenging and every little improvement means something, I can honestly say some aspects of my game have definate improved just by playing, practising, watching and reading. Still a lot of room for improvement. Now I'm going to watch some live 1P

You need what I call a "sparring partner". Someone who can give you a challenging game that demands a genuine determination to win -- usually that means for an affordable small wager, but now and then you find a player that simply does not stand to lose no matter what. One pocket is a rich enough game that even playing the same player once a week sessions you will see a lot of different situations.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I had a conversation with a very nice young man a couple of weeks ago, we were just hanging out at a local poolroom waiting on some action to start and I decided to ask him a question about how he became such a good player at such a young age...

Sylver Ochoa didn't even think twice about it, he said he watched 1000's of hours of one pocket on utube and had friends who loaned him lots of DVD's of all the best players. He said that was the single most helpful boost to his improvement, that and the passion to be a really good player...

marrcena

Practice, passion, and maybe some talent to make it go faster, but practice can make up for it.

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Hi everyone

Got Tom Wirth's book
Playing daily

Hope this makes sense,

Thanks

Bob
Come to Florida in the Winter. Take lessons with Tom. I would like to play you. I play strictly for fun. No $$. Time and coffee's on me. Hope your wife is doing better.

Last edited:

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
I think if you are playing lesser players then give them enough spot that will make you play a shaper game to beat them. I play several guys at my local room and give away a lot of weight, but it makes me play a more controlled game. I also agree about the money, but some guys just won't gamble.---Smitty

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
I think if you are playing lesser players then give them enough spot that will make you play a shaper game to beat them. I play several guys at my local room and give away a lot of weight, but it makes me play a more controlled game. I also agree about the money, but some guys just won't gamble.---Smitty

Smitty, still waiting for you to give me 9-7! :D