What causes the corner ball to go toward their pocket on your break?

backplaying

Verified Member
I have heard its because the balls were not froze, but I had it to happen to me several times the other day when I made sure the balls were froze. Is two thin a hit on the head ball also a reason? I also don't have this problem on a goldcrown, only on a diamond.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
With all due respect, how the hell can the corner ball behave differently on a Gold Crown, as compared to a Diamond? I offer this question seriously. Assume the same circumstances and the same cloth and balls. Comments?

bstroud

Verified Member
You can stop this from happening by hitting more of the front ball.

Bill Stroud

backplaying

Verified Member
You can stop this from happening by hitting more of the front ball.

Bill Stroud

Thanks, thats what I was thinking when I said maybe I was hitting the head ball to thin. I don't see the balls on blue felt like I do on the green. I quess that might be why I haven't had the problem on a goldcrown.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I have heard its because the balls were not froze, but I had it to happen to me several times the other day when I made sure the balls were froze. Is two thin a hit on the head ball also a reason? I also don't have this problem on a goldcrown, only on a diamond.

This is the reason I don't break like most. Spinning into the rack is harder for me to control the hit. When you barley hit the head ball and hit the 2nd ball with force the corner ball often comes out. IMO
I sacrifice freezing on the rail, so I'll be sure the corner ball doesn't leak out.
Rod.
P.S. I'm usually gambling and having one leak out is a huge disadvantage.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

BP,

Since none of these geniuses has yet given you the correct answer to your question I will: It's because you don't break off the last two balls;).

RBL

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
BP,

Since none of these geniuses has yet given you the correct answer to your question I will: It's because you don't break off the last two balls;).

RBL

Nick Varner showed me that break a few months ago. He used extreme English and brought the cue ball all the way back to the end rail . Takes some practice but works well on a fast table

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Nick Varner showed me that break a few months ago. He used extreme English and brought the cue ball all the way back to the end rail . Takes some practice but works well on a fast table

The very first two times that Cornbread broke against me he broke 'em like that. Only fault is the corner ball banks up by the side pocket. If you have the guts to shoot it in without having any other balls to gain then you get one ball.

backplaying

Verified Member
This is the reason I don't break like most. Spinning into the rack is harder for me to control the hit. When you barley hit the head ball and hit the 2nd ball with force the corner ball often comes out. IMO
I sacrifice freezing on the rail, so I'll be sure the corner ball doesn't leak out.
Rod.

Yep, was playing race to 5 for 500 and did it 3 times the first set, and a few more after. Thats spotting him a ball everytime .I will work on it now for sure! I'm fairly new to one pocket, as my 9 and 10 ball stroke is a little dogish now with age I guess.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
If its not frozen on the connecting balls, sometimes angled in that direction off the last ball then it heads there, or maybe a slight tilt.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
First, it is very hard to tell if all the balls are frozen. I remember counting all the possible gaps once, and I think it is about 30. So you'd have to check 30 potential spots well to say a rack is frozen. Do you think somebody has ever inspected 30 gaps even once?? You see how hard it is to do one sometimes when balls get close.

My counter question is... how much would it be worth if somebody could tell you will unequivocal proof why the corner ball comes out for the other guy? I guess it depends on how much you play, but that info is worth some serious cash, no? Any price on that??

Last edited:

tonygreen

Well-Known-Member
hitting the laast two balls and making the CB come all the way uptable was good on a 5' by 10'.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
hitting the laast two balls and making the CB come all the way uptable was good on a 5' by 10'.

I never did really like it like that. I like hitting the cue ball with a little high inside, which I call ten o'clock or two o'clock depending on what side of the table. If it was not working I like hitting the one ball gently head on, sticking right there, not letting the cue ball even go to a rail at all. There was a nick name for this break, but I forgot it, but it can solve problems for you............

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
If it was not working I like hitting the one ball gently head on, sticking right there, not letting the cue ball even go to a rail at all. There was a nick name for this break, but I forgot it, but it can solve problems for you............

We always called it the Oklahoma break. When it was popular we played you had to drive 2 balls to the rail. Now they say 1 ball is all that's necessary, which makes the break much easier and better.:)
Rod.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Rod.

Rodney,

I usually (was) gambling too..If I couldn't get the break down 'my way'..(tough table), I would resort to your way..(if I stll had $$$ left)..;) Fortunately, I usually found the groove, by experimenting with how far I put the cue ball, from the side rail..sometimes as far as 10-12" away..also, how hard to hit the cue ball...Sometimes, if I knew which table we'd be playing on, I may (ugh) practice a few breaks..(same as cheating !)

I never put the cue ball closer than 2.5"--3"..from the side rail, as opposed to almost froze, as that is almost guaranteeing a leaker, towards your oppo's hole.. I also play to hit the second ball..(like you do) just about full..Which changes the flow of balls, toward your pocket.

There is nothing wrong with your way of breaking, I've just always been comfortable with straight inside, center english...If you get it down right, and and start parking the cue ball, 1/2 diamond below the side pocket close, or froze to the side rail, you can drive your opponent nuts, looking for a way out...Especially if you are getting ALL the breaks, and giving up a little weight..:p :p

Headbreaker McDuck

PS..Remind me to tell the story, about when RA used to play me 9/8, break about, (on my home table)..and we changed it to where I got no spot, and ALL the breaks..It was hilarious..!..I'm off to Jimbo's, see ya later Beardo..:D

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
We always called it the Oklahoma break. When it was popular we played you had to drive 2 balls to the rail. Now they say 1 ball is all that's necessary, which makes the break much easier and better.:)
Rod.

Good point Rodney. We had a couple of good players who used this break exclusively. I remember Ronnie Allen calling it the Monterey or Montgomery break I think. I'm talking about guys who would need like 9-6 to play RA or SJD, but that is still very good playing to me, anyway I like Duck's advice in the former post the most. I would try that I think first.....

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Rod.
I saw this break at the recent US Open One Pocket -- Ike Runnels used as least once. I am not sure if he kept using it, but he finished fairly high in the tournament, fwiw. I actually took a photo because of the novelty of seeing it at a major tournament.

Ike's break -- what would you do?

PS I cannot follow up with what happened next -- it appears my attention shifted elsewhere.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Hit the 10....

Hit the 10....

... and freeze the cue between the 2 stripes.Going uptable and taking a scratch doesnt interest me.How many balls hit the rail on that break?Cheers,B

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Buddy Hall did this when playing Ray Martin in 1998. All three of Buddy's breaks he broke off the next to last ball. The second time he sold out though. Freddy called it the old 5'x10' break.

P.S. It gave no particular advantage and Ray got out of both of the other breaks.

P.Ps. Ray broke normally three times to the other pocket and never came close to selling out.

BH1.jpg

BH2.jpg

BH3.jpg