What are folks ...

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Howdy All;

What are folks doin' that don't have a table at home? How do you
try to stay in reasonable stroke ? What kind of mental stimuli do you
use to keep the gray matter from going stale?

hank

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I am used to not playing for months at a time (have not hit a ball since Mitch beat me at the derby hehe)...

Other than that I am working (for the little bit I can until they furlough the rest of us), trying to finish up the odd jobs I have around the house, and playing some online video games with our friends.

Hope everyone is doing ok, stay healthy my friends!

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Still working. I work from home and people are still wanting bee hives. I do have a number of friends wanting me to do carpenter work this summer but that might not happen now. Also planting seeds, doing spring gardening. Had more baby goats yesterday...Really not much has changed for me...lol.
I did have a neighbor ask me to come over Friday and hit some balls. I actually had the time to spare and was very, very tempted. But in the end I said no. His wife is a ER nurse so that worried me just enough....

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
There is always also the stroke practice of laying a small mouthed bottle sideways on a table at approximately pool table height, and stroking with your actual cue cleanly into the bottle opening :D

[why does that sound lurid lol]

It has been shown in studies that mental visualization practice can be very effective at helping with physical performance. Even basketball free-throws. For pool, all you need to look at is the jump in performance level by well-known pro players that have spent time in prison. Tony Chohan -- it may have played a role in the jump in his One Pocket game, and Dennis Hatch is another one. Going back, by accounts it sounds like Clem Metz may have kept his pool game strong that way. I have at least one local friend same thing. As I recall what they suggest is get yourself comfortable in a quiet place if possible and visualize with as much detail as possible, completely through each action along with the thought process. So study the table, select your shot, approach your shot deliberately and get down in your mind with a good bridge, stance and grip. See your angle and work through your aiming process exactly, whatever warm up strokes you normally do when you are shooting well, and visualize right through your final stroke and the cue ball taking off correctly and likewise the object ball, and finally both the cue ball and the object balls coming to rest where they were supposed to. Don't forget to stay down on your shot :)

My understanding is that even if you have zero physical practice available, mental practice helps, but it does work best when you are able to combine a mix of mental and physical practice. I would suggest if you have no table at all available, combine the mental practice with the bottle or some other basic physical stroke practice. There you have it -- a combination of mental and physical. Watch out, we are all going to come out stronger for this!!

I'm going to go out on a totally unscientific limb and say that One Pocket is especially a good discipline to practice this mental visualization, because so much of the game is already in the thought process, compared to other games.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I like the bottle idea Steve, good one!

Of course, we can always just play one pocket against each other, 24 hours a day, any time we want and actually help improve our own one pocket games in the process. Makes no better sense than now when everyone is couped up, so I will shamelessly plug it again!

Virtual Pool 4 ($10 gets you unlimited play for a year!)

We can even play some 3 cushion and other carom games for those who me who enjoy it!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Of course, we can always just play one pocket against each other, 24 hours a day, any time we want and actually help improve our own one pocket games in the process. Makes no better sense than now when everyone is couped up, so I will shamelessly plug it again!

We can even play some 3 cushion and other carom games for those who me who enjoy it!
I just looked at that thread -- the guy that created virtual pool posted in it!!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I just looked at that thread -- the guy that created virtual pool posted in it!!

I know, he is a member here, learned one hole from Frank the Barber :)

edit: I stand corrected, thought he was verified since he knew Frank but he is just listed as a new member...pooljunky

Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I do have a table - an 8 footer. I hit it 4 or 5 times every day, but not for long periods. I continue to haunt YouTube for videos, looking for one-pocket matches or Efren in the Islands, animal stuff, WWII, good interviews and watercolor tutorials. I try to avoid politics, and don't watch much on President Trump, but I do enjoy a bit of Joe Biden now and then. The current quarantine is not that big a change in my routine. Wash your hands and be well.

HowardK

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA

Bottle idea sounds good. Especially since we have to empty the bottle first.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

what is the v1000 ?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
what is the v1000 ?
Hey Larry!

When you pay your $10 for the year, you get $1,000 (Virtual Pool Dollars) in your account. The first thign you want to do is use some of that money to buy a custom cue. If you dont, and you use the one that is free,you will miscue every 3rd or 4th shot, no matter how often you chalk. So buy one of those.

The rest of it you can use for either tournament entries or can use it to gamble other players, its pretty fun once you get confident on the controls! :)

Let me know if you end up sticking with it and I will resubscribe ~

Here is the signup link for anyone else how may be interested in playing some one hole online!

chicagomike

Verified Member
To eat up time I have been messing with my 125 gallon saltwater aquarium, working on the business side of my photography business, washing floors, organizing laundry room, taking our dog for walk with my wife, and setting up/learning my new cnc machine and fiddling in my wood shop. Lots more to do...just trying to stay busy and pass the time. I'd like to come out of this thing able to look back and say I used the time well and am in a better place because of it. Here's a pic of the cnc machine setup. As far as pool goes I've been watching Roy's Basement challenges and PoolActionTV loops. Been using the old ironing board and bottle routine along with stroking arm flat againstthumbnail_IMG_7082.jpg a wall to guide the straight stroke.