Vernon Elliott

opposedtwin

Verified Member
From
Tennessee
Just visited my buddy Vernon in the hospital and thought I would make those who know him aware of his condition which, thank goodness, doesn't appear life threatening. As many/most of you know Vernon suffered a stroke a few years back that paralyzed the left side of his body and put him in a wheel chair. Now he has an infection in his left leg right above his knee which has kept him hospitalyzed for three weeks. As of today they still haven't determined what caused it of what type of infection it is but he thinks he will know by this Monday Aug 11. If they feel it is not treatable they will have to amputate his leg. Remarkably he was in good spirits and almost as ornery as ever. What I would like to ask those of you who know him (or don't) to send him best wishes or remind him of some past pool contest he was in and I will copy your input and take them to him when I visit him this coming Monday. In spite of his exterior gruffness I know it will lift his spirits. Thanks.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
See him at DCC

See him at DCC

opposedtwin said:
Just visited my buddy Vernon in the hospital and thought I would make those who know him aware of his condition which, thank goodness, doesn't appear life threatening. As many/most of you know Vernon suffered a stroke a few years back that paralyzed the left side of his body and put him in a wheel chair. Now he has an infection in his left leg right above his knee which has kept him hospitalyzed for three weeks. As of today they still haven't determined what caused it of what type of infection it is but he thinks he will know by this Monday Aug 11. If they feel it is not treatable they will have to amputate his leg. Remarkably he was in good spirits and almost as ornery as ever. What I would like to ask those of you who know him (or don't) to send him best wishes or remind him of some past pool contest he was in and I will copy your input and take them to him when I visit him this coming Monday. In spite of his exterior gruffness I know it will lift his spirits. Thanks.

You tell that rascal that I look forward to seeing him again at Derby City. You tell him that we finally got to where I could rob him playing banks -- I think.

best wishes to my pal,

the Beard

RedCard

Verified Member
Parkmoor

Parkmoor

Used to talk to him, mainly listen to his stories, many years ago at Parkmoor Bowling in Louisville. Once in the lounge he told me the guy he had just finished dusting at one pocket couldn't figure out why, after a couple of moves, it looked like someone had taken a steamshovel and moved all the balls over around his pocket.

Wish him a thorough recovery.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Dedicated to Vernon

Dedicated to Vernon

I must add this to this thread. I was playing banks at Red Shoes sat nite with Riley "Jet" Johnson. We had been playing awhile and we were even and we were down to the game ball (naturally I now need a spot from players). Jet left me dead safe, or so he thought, but due to these posts Ive been thinking about Vernon lately and I mentioned that Jet had left me a shot that Vernon could make. The more I thought about it gave me an inspiration and I decided to shoot one for Vernon. I called it, hit it perfect and it walked across the table and fell into the pocket with no scratch. Jet broke his cue down after that. Unbelievably, its one of the few times in my life that I have ever made the shot for the cash!

the Beard

START(%MH2D2%Pk6D5%WD6Z0%XH2E6%]H9E2%^j0D9)END

Here it is on the other web table. clik to see

http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AaTN2PaTE2k... Cb4kaEa4katc@

Last edited:

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
Mr. Beard

I just learned that shot 2 months ago, it sure is pretty when it goes. thats cool you had that thought and made the shot.

best regards

eric

kevin s

What hospital is he in? I live in Tennessee and have taked to Vernon many times.

svracer

From
Destin FL
I had the pleasure of going "on the road" with Vernon for 3 months in the early 90's. Being 24 years old and ready to take on the world, I learned so much about life, gambling, pool and Vernon himself that the trip had a major impact on the decisions I made from that point forward. When we got back to Chattanooga I decided the "hustler life" was not for me. I started my own business and became an entrepreneur. I ended up owning several businesses including a pawn shop right outside Chatt. Vernon used to come by and see me sometimes and we would shoot the bull a bit.

I consider Vernon a great friend and a life mentor. I lost contact with him a few years ago and regret not staying in touch with him. I have now relocated in Jacksonville. I recently bought a pool table and started playing again.

Anyone that has not seen Vernon play cannot really comprehend the skill he posses. As stated earlier in this post, he can play "beginner" speed or "world champion" speed champion with the flip of a switch. I believe that without question when Vernon was feeling good he was the best all around cash player in the world period. If you played Vernon and broke even he was probably just trying to get the bet up.

We went to numerous places from Hot Springs to Scranton to Jersey to Conn. A few places we went some old timer would see Vernon playing and come over and start watching. Afterward they started talking to us and telling Vernon they remember him playing so and so back in nineteen seventy something and that Vernon wore them out. Not many players leave a lasting impression like that.

I could go on forever but mainly want people to know that as good as Vernon is on the table he is even better as a person and friend. Opposedtwin please PM me a phone number I can call him on when you get a chance.

Thanks,
Brent

opposedtwin

Verified Member
From
Tennessee
Re:Vernon update

Re:Vernon update

Talked with Vernon yesterday and he is now at home and, thankfully, amputation of his leg was avoided. He still has to go to the hospital each day until Sept. 3 for an antibiotic shot. Friday I'm taking him breakfast and will get more info. The stroke Vernon had affected his left side which is the side the troublesome leg is on. He got fired up when I told him Freddie had semi-challenged him to play some banks at Derby City. That may be just the medicine to make him forget about his leg!! He really appreciated the well wishes from those who know him and although Vernon doesn't have many soft spots he does have one for Freddie and their times together.

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
opposedtwin said:
Talked with Vernon yesterday and he is now at home and, thankfully, amputation of his leg was avoided. He still has to go to the hospital each day until Sept. 3 for an antibiotic shot. Friday I'm taking him breakfast and will get more info. The stroke Vernon had affected his left side which is the side the troublesome leg is on. He got fired up when I told him Freddie had semi-challenged him to play some banks at Derby City. That may be just the medicine to make him forget about his leg!! He really appreciated the well wishes from those who know him and although Vernon doesn't have many soft spots he does have one for Freddie and their times together.
Thanks for keeping us posted, and wish him the best from me next time you see him!