Using your cue stick to measure

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Did you know that according to the General Rules (BCA) you can use your cue stick to measure a shot angle and it's within the rules, but it has to be "held by the hand"? If you let go of it, it becomes a foul! I did not know that, but apparently it came up in a recent local tourney with the score close to hill-hill and resulted in a quick loss. These general rules apply to all games -- including One Pocket.

Rule 3.42 in the BCA General Rules

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
NH Steve said:
Did you know that according to the General Rules (BCA) you can use your cue stick to measure a shot angle and it's within the rules, but it has to be "held by the hand"? If you let go of it, it becomes a foul! I did not know that, but apparently it came up in a recent local tourney with the score close to hill-hill and resulted in a quick loss. These general rules apply to all games -- including One Pocket.
Very interesting. I'd be curious to hear a report about the circumstance that resulted in a foul for this infraction. I've never seen that foul called, but it makes sense. Guys could be laying cues all over the table in order to figure angles. I guess a pool ball can't even be used to measure. Of course a player could figure the ball width in comparison to a part of his cue, then just use the cue to measure.

I've seen Cliff prop up his hand on top of the mechanical bridge to get some height for bridge hand. That's apparently illegal now, in the WPA rules.

Doc

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
Wpa

Wpa

Not to cast aspersions upon the rules but those emanating from the Continent sure do seem to presume a far greater support structure and degree of civility than those practiced here in the provinces. They do appear however to have 'snoozed off' rules for One Pocket .... or any reference thereto.

See: http://www.wpa-pool.com/index.asp?content=rules#14 , where, incidentally, a cue may be laid on the table and left while a game is in progress (of course it is also on hold).

Of course the WPA also requires that balls for pocket games to be 2.25" +- 0.005" in diameter: a TIGHT RACK? How novel.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I have called it before on a room owner because he likes to play by the rules,i worked there for about a year and when its slow i would be bored so i read that BCA book back to front and know all the rules for the most part.He was shocked when i called foul and then showed him the rule,i didnt take the foul,i basically just wanted to show him that he didnt know it all. :p

Deeman

Verified Member
This was called in the World Championships a couple of years back. I can't remember the exact person called but it was a total surprise to them.

DeeMan

treeMan

Verified Member
Crazy foul

Crazy foul

I'm a little confused. You mean that basically, if you lay your cue on the table, it's a foul?!!?!

I know I'm taking it to the extreme but you know what can happen.

tree

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
treeMan said:
I'm a little confused. You mean that basically, if you lay your cue on the table, it's a foul?!!?!

I know I'm taking it to the extreme but you know what can happen.

tree
If you let go of it when measuring/lining up a shot anyway. I was shocked too.

piglit

Deeman said:
This was called in the World Championships a couple of years back. I can't remember the exact person called but it was a total surprise to them.

DeeMan

It was Rodney Morris.

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
What a coincidence

What a coincidence

Last night during the Shane V. and Alex P. challenge match, Shane laid is cue on the table checking angles playing 10 ball. No foul was called but the commentator Fred Agnir,(cornerman) I think at the time mentioned that technically that was a foul and either Alex did not know it or more likely did not call it. I noticed it right away and my first reaction was oh, oh, but it is sort of a nitty rule anyway. But if you all saw last night at all, one mistake can sure turn a match around playing 10 ball.

Cal

Verified Member
From
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
> Using your cue stick to measure

> Using your cue stick to measure

Can you imagine that being called in a "BIG" money match?????? I would hate to be involved in that . I understand that is a rule,but that a nitpicker:(

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
If you allow then cue stick to be used to measure banks or kicks... would you also allow Mirrors? or is that also being a 'nitpicker'?

BTW, both are against the rules..... would you let one pass and call a foul on the other? or are they all nitpickers?

What about marking the table with chalk? or leaving the chalk on the rail as a reference point... another nitpicker?

All these are illegal because the aid the shooter in an unfair way to gain an advantage.

But, you could ignor these rules and both players can use them.... right? Gamblers set their own rules, right?

Cal said:
Can you imagine that being called in a "BIG" money match?????? I would hate to be involved in that . I understand that is a rule,but that a nitpicker:(

Last edited: