Using a jump stick

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
Yesterday at the poolhall I was watching a game of 1P and one of the players said I should have used my jump cue to jump over a ball to make one in his hole instead of playing what he did. Then the question came up is that legal. I thought it was illegal to use a jump cue. What is the ruling on this matter.---Smitty

phil dade

Verified Member
From
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082
You are not suposed to use a jimp cue in one pocket. However, in gambling, most things are negotiable.

I heard, (second hand), that Frost said to Alex at the beginning of thier recent $50 K event that he was using a jump cue which started a litte debate? Does anyone know if this is fact and exactly what went down?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
If I were in a private match with a guy, and he pulled out a jump cue, unless we discussed it beforehand, there's not much preventing him from using it. I'd try to make an argument against it, and I would not continue the session after that game or match with jump cues allowed.

I agree that jump cues should not be allowed. Our 1p.o rules disallow jump cues, and most tournaments have the same rule. However in a private match guys may do whatever they agree upon.

The argument can be made that jump shots should not be allowed at all; but that's another discussion.....

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

The argument can be made that jump shots should not be allowed at all; but that's another discussion.....

~Doc

Yeah, there can be an argument about anything, but to disallow a skill shot with normal equipment is a bridge too far for me.

I jump over the edges of balls about once every two or three games, so maybe I'm biased.

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
Yeah, there can be an argument about anything, but to disallow a skill shot with normal equipment is a bridge too far for me.

I jump over the edges of balls about once every two or three games, so maybe I'm biased.

I play with LD shafts and SOFT tips. If you can get airborne with my equipment I would buy you a tight suit and a cape.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
If I were in a private match with a guy, and he pulled out a jump cue, unless we discussed it beforehand, there's not much preventing him from using it. I'd try to make an argument against it, and I would not continue the session after that game or match with jump cues allowed.

I agree that jump cues should not be allowed. Our 1p.o rules disallow jump cues, and most tournaments have the same rule. However in a private match guys may do whatever they agree upon.

~Doc

Doc, what if you're in a gambling set like a race to seven and the score is 3 to 1 and his favor. You can't convince him about the jump cue, since, like you said, it wasn't discussed before hand. It seems that now you will have to continue the set allowing it, or forfeit.
If you we up in the set then I can see you quitting without forfeiting.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I play with LD shafts and SOFT tips. If you can get airborne with my equipment I would buy you a tight suit and a cape.

I have LD shafts and medium tip, but if I think I have to get any higher than 3/8 to 1/2 inch I'll find something else.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Well, hell no, John. We wouldn't ever think of taking away your best shot....:D

~Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Doc, what if you're in a gambling set like a race to seven and the score is 3 to 1 and his favor. You can't convince him about the jump cue, since, like you said, it wasn't discussed before hand. It seems that now you will have to continue the set allowing it, or forfeit.
That's right, Frank. And here is the pertinent portion of my post: "...and I would not continue the session after that game or match with jump cues allowed."

~Doc

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Jumping with your playing cue is fine with me. I have had someone use a regular jump cue one time and I let it slide, they hit it like a damn monkey though it was a-ok with me. :D

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Jumping with your playing cue is fine with me. I have had someone use a regular jump cue one time and I let it slide, they hit it like a damn monkey though it was a-ok with me. :D

I'm bored this morning and decided to read through some older threads and I agree with you on this one. Jumping balls isn't illegal providing you use equipment that is considered "legal" Jump cues are not allowed when playing one pocket, which is clearly stated in our book of one pocket rules, which then places the "jump cue" in the illegal equipment category.

For those who feel that a jump shot should not be allowed playing one pocket regardless of what cue is used are mistaken, imo. There are many shots that we shoot in all pool games where the cue ball leaves the surface of the table, breaking the balls in 9ball is one of them. There are also times when we need to shoot a shot fairly hard with a follow stroke and a slight elevation, these type of shots will also produce the cue ball to go "airborne" How much does it go airborne? Should it make a difference, I say no. Lets take the situation where there is a ball hanging in your opponents pocket playing "one pocket" and you need to either scratch behind it or take it out with a "jump shot" by jumping the cue ball off the table after pocketing the ball.:heh We have looked at that particular jump shot as legal for ever.

I agree with you Lenny, if your opponent has the ability to jump balls using a legal cue, good on him. Seems to me that's the way it's always been, when you think about it.

Dr. Bill

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
This last weekend while playing my grandson, he had the 4 ball in the jaws of his pocket and me stuck to the other side of the rack. I jacked up and shot the cue ball into the side rail with high English and jumped over the rack. Unfortunately, the cue ball skipped on the table just prior to hitting the 4 ball and went off the table after making the 4 ball. I consider this legal. I also consider the 'jump over the hat' trick legal. I would never allow jump cues in a game of One Pocket.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Frank,the way I would look at a situation like the one your describing is at the time of the alleged violation. Why would we need to discuss a rule that is plainly described in the one pocket rule book? That would be my opening rebuttal if I were to contest the use of a jump cue. In the event that my opponent would rebut and say that that's the way he's always played, I would then say that there are rules to play by that are clearly written, and if there is something that is in violation of the rules then it would be the player that is in violation that would need to clarify it before the balls are broken. Therefore giving me the leverage that I need with further negotiations on the matter. If he still stands on his decision I would then say that i'm not going to allow anyone to beat me out of my money by playing an illegal game, that is clearly written in the book of rules, then I would offer the compromise like you say. I will continue the match and allow the jump cue, however, if the match ever gets tied then I will have the option to quit and we will both drag our money back. In the event that he was still unhappy and rebutted the compromise, I can't put in print the next step.:D

That would be my argument if I were ahead in the set, if my opponent was ahead in the set then I would think that I would win the initial challenge of contesting the use of the jump cue.
Dr. Bill

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
A few years back I got to play Cliff Joiner at a place in Houston called Playoffs. I had set this up pretty sweet by letting Cliff's stake horse over hear a muted conversation between a friend and myself. It was all choreographed, the whole conversation. Here's how it went;

Cliff is practicing on a table that's surrounded on two sides by elevated seating. His stake horse is sitting about two seats away from us and well within earshot. So I say to my friend, "Who is this guy, he plays pretty good?" My friend says, "That's Cliff Joiner, he's a world champion!" So I said, "Do you think he could beat Little Al Mason?" My friend replies, "I don't know Jeff, when Little Al gave you 9 to 5 and the breaks last week and beat you outta $7000.00 I never saw anyone play that good!" I said, "Yep, that's what I thought too, he's really good but I don't think he can beat Little Al."

So we get up and wander around a bit, giving this a little time to soak. Within a few minutes I see Cliff talking to the stake horse and inside 10 minutes Cliff approached me and ask did I wanna play some one pocket. I said sure, but you gotta make the game right, you're a world champion! He says what do you want? So I verify the Little Al story about 9/5 and the breaks and losing and he offers me 9/4 and the breaks.

Well I coulda got more I'm sure, but I just said OK, but I'm not betting but $200.00 a game. So we played.

Now you're probably wondering why this story is mixed in with a Jump Cue thread? I could have cut to the chase earlier, but I wanted to embellish this tremendous jump shot made by Cliff with a few details about how the match ever came to fruition.

I tried to make each game close, but he was a great runner of balls and I decided it was more prudent to just get whatever money they would lose and perhaps adjust the game a little.

Well he's down 6 games and I put a monster break on him! The balls spread perfect for me with one just outside my pocket maybe an inch or so up from the pocket and about 2 inches off my side rail. The CB is froze on his side rail just north of dead center. There is no possible shot available for him to get to that ball by my pocket!

I've never seen this done before, hell, I've never even heard of it being done, but as God is my witness, this man took his regular playing cue, elevated and jumped the entire stack, came to earth on the corner pocket point behind that ball, knocked it up table and stuck the CB right there!!!!

By this time we had drawn quite a crowd, he got a standing ovation that lasted maybe a full minute, with me leading the cheer! It was a great shot!

P.S. Alas, It didn't save him.

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Well he's down 6 games and I put a monster break on him! The balls spread perfect for me with one just outside my pocket maybe an inch or so up from the pocket and about 2 inches off my side rail. The CB is froze on his side rail just north of dead center. There is no possible shot available for him to get to that ball by my pocket!

I've never seen this done before, hell, I've never even heard of it being done,

P.S. Alas, It didn't save him.

Great story, you water moccasin. ;)

I don't know because I wasn't tuned in at the time, but it's my impression that Strickland was able to get that kind of elevation with his playing cue..

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Chris MacDonald from central Calif. was the greatest jump shot technician I've seen in regular play. In 9-ball he'd roll out to within a couple of inches of an intervening ball, so that the opponent would have to give the turn back to him. Then Chris was able to perform "inverted U" jumps and make the OB most of the time. There was no defense against it.

He spent a session with me teaching me how to jump. But I just couldn't get the hang of it, and I still cant't!:(

~Doc

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I'm bored this morning and decided to read through some older threads and I agree with you on this one. Jumping balls isn't illegal providing you use equipment that is considered "legal" Jump cues are not allowed when playing one pocket, which is clearly stated in our book of one pocket rules, which then places the "jump cue" in the illegal equipment category.

For those who feel that a jump shot should not be allowed playing one pocket regardless of what cue is used are mistaken, imo. There are many shots that we shoot in all pool games where the cue ball leaves the surface of the table, breaking the balls in 9ball is one of them. There are also times when we need to shoot a shot fairly hard with a follow stroke and a slight elevation, these type of shots will also produce the cue ball to go "airborne" How much does it go airborne? Should it make a difference, I say no. Lets take the situation where there is a ball hanging in your opponents pocket playing "one pocket" and you need to either scratch behind it or take it out with a "jump shot" by jumping the cue ball off the table after pocketing the ball.:heh We have looked at that particular jump shot as legal for ever.

I agree with you Lenny, if your opponent has the ability to jump balls using a legal cue, good on him. Seems to me that's the way it's always been, when you think about it.

Dr. Bill

I agree with what you are saying, but one question that comes up is if a guy has two cues. Maybe one is his playing cue which is an LD shaft, and he just has another full cue that jumps better. Now, could he use that cue in the middle of a match to jump over the edge of a ball under the one pocket rules? Maybe the question is, what is a jump cue exactly. A short cue, so all normal length cues would qualify?