US Open 1 Pocket--The surprises???

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Mark Griffin mentioned a while back he had some surprises for the tournament, does anyone know what they were/are???

I'm not even sure if I should have brought this back up.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Mark Griffin mentioned a while back he had some surprises for the tournament, does anyone know what they were/are???

They are holding all the CSI Opens in Las Vegas now and more added money. I believe the U S Open Nine Ball will be held now in Vegas too.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
That sounds like a good move. OTOH with only 10 tables, if the events get big crowds, he'd have to go around the clock, or add several days. Unless he's going to use the Rio, or another hotel. But he was trying to get away from that. Hope it works out!

~Doc

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
That sounds like a good move. OTOH with only 10 tables, if the events get big crowds, he'd have to go around the clock, or add several days. Unless he's going to use the Rio, or another hotel. But he was trying to get away from that. Hope it works out!

~Doc

Eight tables Doc, the rest of the tables, about 15 are for bar pool leagues. Not really conducive for bigger tournaments. Grif instituted a rule, you can’t practice on an open table if you’re in the tournament.

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
I believe there are 11 9ft tables in total, including the dedicated live stream table.

Eight tables Doc, the rest of the tables, about 15 are for bar pool leagues. Not really conducive for bigger tournaments. Grif instituted a rule, you can’t practice on an open table if you’re in the tournament.

Jimmy B

Verified Member

SVB had some surprises.. I know that.. Since he got that Chinese Table, he has leveled up another notch. Best all around US player in the history of the country, By FAR.... But the Matchroom takeover of the US Open Nine Ball is huge.. Vegas. $300K prize pool.. Big.. Barry Hearn.. Now Shane will go up another ball or more for this...

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I can't buy that. I think you must have either misunderstood, or mis-stated what you mean.

I was a little taken aback by it myself. The Col and I were practicing when The Grif came up and asked if we were in the tournament. Why yes. ‘Well, no practicing until it is your time to play. You will have plenty of time to practice before your match.’

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I was a little taken aback by it myself. The Col and I were practicing when The Grif came up and asked if we were in the tournament. Why yes. ‘Well, no practicing until it is your time to play. You will have plenty of time to practice before your match.’

Holy crap! Granted that I'm hard-headed, but I still think there must be some kind of misunderstanding.

Could he have meant no free practice time? I can't believe that I could rent a table but if you were in the tournament you couldn't. If that's the case, it's only downhill from here.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Well, one of you is right about the number of tables..;) What confused me was that when I was there, I played on table #10. But he does have that English snooker table as well...

~Doc

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I can't buy that. I think you must have either misunderstood, or mis-stated what you mean.

Well, one of you is right about the number of tables..;) What confused me was that when I was there, I played on table #10. But he does have that English snooker table as well...

~Doc

I didn’t see that table Doc, maybe it is the one SVB bought. He must have renumbered the tables because the big tables were all in the twenties.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Holy crap! Granted that I'm hard-headed, but I still think there must be some kind of misunderstanding.

Could he have meant no free practice time? I can't believe that I could rent a table but if you were in the tournament you couldn't. If that's the case, it's only downhill from here.

Ask The Col.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

Ask The Col. We were renting the table at the time. I thought it was the weirdest thing I ever heard.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Ask The Col. We were renting the table at the time. I thought it was the weirdest thing I ever heard.

I'll be eager to see whether he has anything to say about it here. Sure seems odd... so odd I thought you had to be wrong. :eek: Looks like Dumbass me!

markgriffin

Verified Member

The surprise I was alluding to was the appearance of Tom Wirth at the event. He was to give individual lessons, seminars and examples of some great moves and concepts. I think Tom is a great ambassador for the game.

Unfortunately, he got pneumonia and was not able to travel. Maybe next year!!!

I think things of that type would increase the awareness and interest of the game.

Mark Griffin

markgriffin

Verified Member

I believe there are 11 9ft tables in total, including the dedicated live stream table.

That is the correct table count on 9' tables.

We should be able to do a 48 man entry event without any issues.

Mark Griffin