US Open 1 Pocket--The surprises???

markgriffin

Verified Member
US Open 1 Pocket--The surprises???

Eight tables Doc, the rest of the tables, about 15 are for bar pool leagues. Not really conducive for bigger tournaments. Grif instituted a rule, you can’t practice on an open table if you’re in the tournament.

As mentioned in a previous post, there are 11 of the 9' Diamonds.Plenty big enough for a 48 man event - or even a little larger. We had 2.5 hour matches.

On the 'no practice rule' if you are in the tournament;

In my quest to keep everything fair, if there are not enough tables for everyone to be able to practice, then it is not really fair for some to practice. Matches were allotted 2.5 hours. Often they were finished an hour or so early-which now makes it available for the contestants to practice. Every player will have practice available shortly before their match.

I don't feel it is fair that some of the players get to practice and others cannot. This restriction only applies while the tournament is in play. My goal is to eliminate as much confusion and bias as possible. The tables were available to all players at no charge for a couple of hours every morning. They also would be available for practice or matching up every evening after the event is over for that day. We finished around 9 pm.

I have had this rule since my Alaska days. Most events do not have ample practice tables for all the players. I don't find this rule odd or out of line. I feel it protects the integrity of the event. This also allows the tournament director to know when a match is completed.

Mark Griffin

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
More than fair, Mark.

As mentioned in a previous post, there are 11 of the 9' Diamonds.Plenty big enough for a 48 man event - or even a little larger. We had 2.5 hour matches.

On the 'no practice rule' if you are in the tournament;

In my quest to keep everything fair, if there are not enough tables for everyone to be able to practice, then it is not really fair for some to practice. Matches were allotted 2.5 hours. Often they were finished an hour or so early-which now makes it available for the contestants to practice. Every player will have practice available shortly before their match.

I don't feel it is fair that some of the players get to practice and others cannot. This restriction only applies while the tournament is in play. My goal is to eliminate as much confusion and bias as possible. The tables were available to all players at no charge for a couple of hours every morning. They also would be available for practice or matching up every evening after the event is over for that day. We finished around 9 pm.

I have had this rule since my Alaska days. Most events do not have ample practice tables for all the players. I don't find this rule odd or out of line. I feel it protects the integrity of the event. This also allows the tournament director to know when a match is completed.

Mark Griffin

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
This is the way it is around here. During tournament no practice. You can hit a few balls before your round to warm up and then it's go time. Seems reasonable like everything else Mr. G does.