Up 4-1 WWYD

youngstownkid

Verified Member
You are near your hole.

Well, that's, like, you're opinion, man.

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
13 into 1/2 of the 11, draw to bottom rail.
I agree with your shot here John, you must try to either get back down to the foot rail or thin the 15ball and drop to the top right quadrant of the table behind the 1ball frozen to the side rail. Another poster suggested to stop the cue ball in the center of the table which imo is not the thing to do because you have then given your opponent the ability to open up the two balls by his side pocket and drop you back down to the foot rail.:eek:

Dr. Bill

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Yep, get whitey back to the bottom rail, that's your primary goal here.

If the previous shooter had put the cue ball on the rail instead, it would have been a much worse situation for you. But since he didn't use that against him and try to put HIM on the rail.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Up 4-1 WWYD

I agree with your shot here John, you must try to either get back down to the foot rail or thin the 15ball and drop to the top right quadrant of the table behind the 1ball frozen to the side rail. Another poster suggested to stop the cue ball in the center of the table which imo is not the thing to do because you have then given your opponent the ability to open up the two balls by his side pocket and drop you back down to the foot rail.:eek:

Dr. Bill

Yep, get whitey back to the bottom rail, that's your primary goal here.

If the previous shooter had put the cue ball on the rail instead, it would have been a much worse situation for you. But since he didn't use that against him and try to put HIM on the rail.

I disagree with bringing whitey back to the short rail here but if you would, Allow me to explain why. Too many times I have seen a ball hit with speed (like what is needed to get the cue back to the bottom rail) leak an unintended ball Back downtable and sell out a bank,etc. For that reason I think I would hit the same shot, but stun whitey over to my opponents long rail behind those two balls near his side. I do realize that will likely cause him to beak them up (which I don't love) but I am leading in the game anyway, so I'm ok with balls going uptable. Just my us.02 😊

1pwannabe

Verified Member
I disagree with bringing whitey back to the short rail here but if you would, Allow me to explain why. Too many times I have seen a ball hit with speed (like what is needed to get the cue back to the bottom rail) leak an unintended ball Back downtable and sell out a bank,etc. For that reason I think I would hit the same shot, but stun whitey over to my opponents long rail behind those two balls near his side. I do realize that will likely cause him to beak them up (which I don't love) but I am leading in the game anyway, so I'm ok with balls going uptable. Just my us.02 😊
Because it's an up-table game, driving balls into other balls up table to kill the energy is the best way to minimize any unexpected leaks of balls back down table. As far as leaving an up-table bank, it's risky for them to shoot them since they have to leave whitey up there most of the time and missing leaves open shots to my hole and lets me bring the cue ball back down safely or to bank their missed bank.

The one thing you must never do, however, is scratch in this situation. Scratching in up-table matches is deadly and you lose 90% of those games.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Up 4-1 WWYD

Because it's an up-table game, driving balls into other balls up table to kill the energy is the best way to minimize any unexpected leaks of balls back down table. As far as leaving an up-table bank, it's risky for them to shoot them since they have to leave whitey up there most of the time and missing leaves open shots to my hole and lets me bring the cue ball back down safely or to bank their missed bank.

The one thing you must never do, however, is scratch in this situation. Scratching in up-table matches is deadly and you lose 90% of those games.

Agreed. It's funny though, how often I miss hitting balls uptable or a ball kisses off etc.. And leaks. You are so right about scratching here. It's a killer.

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended
Shoot the 12 into the 4 and don't do anything fancy with the cueball. Play the cueball here, that's the point.
I disagree with bringing whitey back to the short rail here but if you would, Allow me to explain why. Too many times I have seen a ball hit with speed (like what is needed to get the cue back to the bottom rail) leak an unintended ball Back downtable and sell out a bank,etc. For that reason I think I would hit the same shot, but stun whitey over to my opponents long rail behind those two balls near his side. I do realize that will likely cause him to beak them up (which I don't love) but I am leading in the game anyway, so I'm ok with balls going uptable. Just my us.02 ��
Every now & then common sense prevails. Jacking up and drawing the cueball to the endrail from there is more than ridiculous for the reasons you gave. No good player would ever do it.

Dennis

androd

Verified Member
Every now & then common sense prevails. Jacking up and drawing the cueball to the endrail from there is more than ridiculous for the reasons you gave. No good player would ever do it.

Dennis
I couldn't do it anyway, hard to draw the ball when you get old.

wincardona

Verified Member

Dennis
You say no good player would ever do it, lol, good players execute shots like this one all the time. You may not want to do it and that's understandable, but your option with leaving the cue ball in the center of the table is playing to the strength of your opponent. Mitch's option with just drawing to the side rail is a compromise worthy of shooting, but to leave the cue ball in the center of the table is pure amateurish. The way the balls are configured you can draw off the 13ball and send the 13ball into the right side of the 11ball lessening any chance of a ball leaking out back down table. Of course that's just my opinion you can take that for whatever it's worth to you.

Dr. Bill

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
You say no good player would ever do it, lol, good players execute shots like this one all the time. You may not want to do it and that's understandable, but your option with leaving the cue ball in the center of the table is playing to the strength of your opponent. Mitch's option with just drawing to the side rail is a compromise worthy of shooting, but to leave the cue ball in the center of the table is pure amateurish. The way the balls are configured you can draw off the 13ball and send the 13ball into the right side of the 11ball lessening any chance of a ball leaking out back down table. Of course that's just my opinion you can take that for whatever it's worth to you.

Dr. Bill
John has the right shot IMO,
The 1 & 4 balls do not bank for your opponent, and breaking up the 5/10 is out of the question. Shooting the 12 into about 1/2 or a little less of the 11 ball is a good shot here. I believe the shot loses value if the CB is left mid table, or even below the 5/10 for the reason Mitch pointed out.

This shot does not require a super powerful draw stroke if executed off the long rail. The natural angle is already there to send the CB in the direction of the long rail, just Jack up about half way and punch stroke the CB with low RHE. Firm to medium hard speed should be enough... All the draw needed is to get the CB near the middle diamond on the long rail, the RHE will move it the rest of the way back to the foot rail.

From there he might have a little harder time not giving up something.
Good call... Again... John
Jmo

youngstownkid

Verified Member
Up 4-1 WWYD

Well?? WDHD? 😁
I'm sorry. You misunderstood the purpose of this thread. I was trying to find out how smart you are, not demonstrate how dumb I am. Lol. Seriously tho, I tried to 2 rail the 15 into the two stripes, and ended up far closer to the bottom of the top right corner pocket than intended. I didn't feel comfortable trying the suggested shot bc of how hard I'd have to cue it to draw back, but looking at the pic, I agree that the energy would be dispersed between the two stripes and it might have been safer than I thought.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, you're opinion, man.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I dont mind drawing to the bottom rail but as Mitch pointed out sometimes the speed you have to hit brings a ball down where they can bank it or cut it near their hole.

I am up 4-1, my shot is just rolling at the 6 in the corner. I would rather not make it so I can keep the balls up table but if I do I can live with it.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Up 4-1 WWYD

I dont mind drawing to the bottom rail but as Mitch pointed out sometimes the speed you have to hit brings a ball down where they can bank it or cut it near their hole.

I am up 4-1, my shot is just rolling at the 6 in the corner. I would rather not make it so I can keep the balls up table but if I do I can live with it.

Hey kid. If you leave me in that corner where the six is, keep in mind that the 14/15 combo does go in my hole. And being down three balls if I have a way to shoot it I think I would 😁

cincy_kid

Verified Member
Hey kid. If you leave me in that corner where the six is, keep in mind that the 14/15 combo does go in my hole. And being down three balls if I have a way to shoot it I think I would ��
NVM - was looking at the wrong pocket LOL...

Instead I may just shoot the 12 straight ahead 2 rails and follow the CB up near the other corner pocket. Or come off the 15 and do the same thing but now it helps clear a little room on my side so it may open a straight back at some point.