Unifying Format/Seniors 2019

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I have read the many threads on the Seniors event and there is no format consensus for next years Seniors event being developed. So this thread is dedicated to that goal.
First I think it is important to establish just what the players goals are in attending Seniors. There seems to a somewhat divide as to whether it is to play more in the tournament vs. time to match up and socialize, and also exhaustion is of course a main factor to consider especially for those that remain in the tournament. I feel much consideration has to given to this situation.

Some suggestions to date;
Shot clock, and wider pockets, these have been pretty well discussed but are open for further discussions,
Starting play earlier on Friday & Saturday,
Playing a 3/2 format final day, or 3/3 with one loss side winner break,
Starting a day earlier,
Players out of tournament first day is ok, or not a desired goal,
mr3cushion brought up RR format, this has been thoroughly discussed in a previous thread pertaining to MOT, but is open to further discuss.
I brought up going to a single elimination 8 player bracket on Sunday,
Playing later into the night on Friday and Saturday, and getting down to 4 players on Sunday.

This is not a thread to discuss specific game rules, that is a dead end street and not beneficial.

My role is to keep this on track, a little arbitrating, but what I hope is that members respond well to suggestions so everyone knows how they feel, for a lot of times suggestions or questions are just left hanging. Input about the Senior event is much needed, such as starting times, ending times, and when rounds 1,2,3, and so forth ended, this will let us know how much free time players had to socialize, match up and so forth.

We need to narrow this down to a few format suggestions that there seems to be a consensus on, so players going into next year Seniors have some bases to make decisions on how they want their tournament to proceed! thanks, Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
We don’t need a discussion on next years Seniors event. It’s not a OPOrg event.

Then when and how does a format get determined? Who is the TD. What does Bogie's say about starting a day early. Who is going to decide whether our players play into the wee mornings of Monday and exhaust them, or not? I'd like to know, for all I know is that there have been many forums on this topic on OnePocket.org.

I would know more answers if I could of attended, but I did not so I am asking for answers! Whitey

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Then when and how does a format get determined? Who is the TD. What does Bogie's say about starting a day early. Who is going to decide whether our players play into the wee mornings of Monday and exhaust them, or not? I'd like to know, for all I know is that there have been many forums on this topic on OnePocket.org.

I would know more answers if I could of attended, but I did not so I am asking for answers! Whitey

It's a Bogies event so Bogies will decide. Regarding another day, they haven't been asked, but it's expensive for them to turn 8 of their best tables over 24/7.

Discussions about it here are still appropriate because they may help us find the process we prefer; if we let Bogies know what that is, it will definitely be considered.

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Why isn't the, 'Senior tournament' NOT a OPOrg event? What the reason?

The Seniors tournament was a collaboration between Jeff Sparks and John Rizzo with support of then Bogies Owner David Richardson. The first Seniors event was promoted by Jeff as the Super Seniors Social Security Tournament and stipulated a 70 minimum age requirement.

Jeff then began floating the idea for the tournament and its parameters on onepocket.org shortly after he joined up on the forums here. There were also some side discussions on AZbilliards at the time but mostly on onepocket.org

The event was so successful that no one could wait for a whole year to have it again and Dave Richardson at Bogies offered a Seniors Event (65 min age) the following April with the Super Seniors to reconvene in October.

The popularity seemed to increase so Bogies committed to hold the two tournaments in tandem Spring and Fall. However, Hurricane Harvey put a dent in the schedule. Dave was hit hard by the hurricane and decided to discontinue the Super Seniors and only hold the Seniors.

This year, Bogies new owner recommitted to running the tournament. It has grown from an inital 24-player event to a 44 player event on the same eight tables. The Seniors tournament is not a onepocket.org event even though a lot of 1P.o players participate.

It is a Bogies event. The rules and format established at Bogies and during the first players meeting, provided the tournament director, and provided streaming services for it (in addition to the services of Kentucky who seems to be linked well with Goldy).

I seem to remember Kentucky getting hit with a high dose of food poisoning at the event one time. Bogies Assistant Manager Adam Cooper took over the reigns of Bills streaming equipment while he was languished in one of Houston's fine hospital Establishments. The worst part about it was that Kentucky hasn't stopped lambasting Texas BBQ ever since. Oh well, next time I see him I'll have to take him out to the right place for dinner. I'll even drive...I know the spots to hit.

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
It's a Bogies event so Bogies will decide. Regarding another day, they haven't been asked, but it's expensive for them to turn 8 of their best tables over 24/7.

Discussions about it here are still appropriate because they may help us find the process we prefer; if we let Bogies know what that is, it will definitely be considered.

LS, agreed, I was typing my last reply but it got in after yours. Glad to see we're on the same page.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
While we are on this topic, how much would it cost a proprietor to tailor the pockets to the desired size for a particular event? Seems like a real financial consideration to fix eight tables. Assuming all six pockets, surely. What could the Dominguez guys tell us about that?

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
This is what I would like to see
Final day four players
Auction night we have enough time for two rounds of winners
I don’t know of one person who went who complained about being tired or too exhausted

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I don’t know if anyone watched but there was a 16 person pro one pocket event that I believe lasted one day
Not sure of that, maybe two days

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
While we are on this topic, how much would it cost a proprietor to tailor the pockets to the desired size for a particular event? Seems like a real financial consideration to fix eight tables. Assuming all six pockets, surely. What could the Dominguez guys tell us about that?

I don't think it's realistic, but the Artemis 66 Intercontinental cushions pro length cut are becoming the standard, Europe and the US. It's allot to ask of a pool room owner to incur the cost if new cushions, unless it's a players room. But, in the long run, standardizing the cushions world wide, is perfect. I think the cup size in Golf is the same anywhere on the planet.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Final day four players
I don’t know of one person who went who complained about being tired or too exhausted

auction could start before 7(ie 2pm or noon )
more time to play
just sayin

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
LsJohn and Disco Dave, I want to thank you for the information on Bogies. It is very helpful.
For me there are two suggestions that I believe at this point would not cause to much waves with the participating players.

1. to start a day early. This would need to be researched with Bogies. Of course if this is an imposition for Bogies it would not be a suggestion! Helpfully someone can take up this cause to get it resolved, or possibly the answer is already known! Or this might be to much to ask for, I do not know the situation!

2. starting earlier on Friday and Saturday. I can not at this point see what could be objectionable about this, other than play running late into the night with an early start. I would think this needs to be considered. For instance on Sunday; do we need to get down to four players, go to 3/2 or 3/3 winner break on one loss side, or go to a single elimination on Sunday.

I am amazed that only 8 tables were used, for as far as I can figure out by the brackets and trying to keep track how the tournament was progressing, it seemed to be on schedule during Friday and Saturday. Could someone exemplify this! I think it would be very helpful in trying to determine a format going forth.

As far as the rails used and size of pockets that is totally of course a Bogies business and financial call. I do believe Diamond does offer a high bred table with Artemis rails, and possible in some of their events make a few available. I kinda heard this. I do know these rails are not low budget.
thanks everyone!

Last edited:

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
One thing to consider, you won't know how many extra matches you'll need to play before Sunday to get it down to a desirable number on that last day until you get a final player count.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Final day four players

Seems like final day of six would be more reasonable

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
One thing to consider, you won't know how many extra matches you'll need to play before Sunday to get it down to a desirable number on that last day until you get a final player count.

For me that is something new! Player count, is very important. Now, I seem to remember it mentioned a few years ago there was 44. I hope I am correct about this statement. I was under the impression we were 32 max.

This is cause for an extra day format suggestion if the count is high. Maybe a determining factor for Bogies and players at the time of next year's tournament. New tournaments if well ran can expect to grow, and for Bogies this might be desirable, I do not know, others may know! A reason to start sign up early I would think!
Some more expanding comments on this will be very welcomed! Thanks for the input.

Pilot, 6 remaining is a new suggestion, any further comments on this?

Larry, has a suggestion of having the auction by noon or 2 pm. I believe the auction is on Thursday correct? If so, is it generally thought that players come in on Wednesday, or do most come in on Thursday.
Another thought if the auction was at noon or 2 pm Thursday then would players come in on Wednesday? thanks!

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
auction could start before 7(ie 2pm or noon )
more time to play
just sayin

The auction was Thursday -- matches started Friday.

The easiest thing to change would simply be to play out more of the one-loss bracket that first day. I really don't think it would be that much of an issue for most players if they got eliminated the first day. Some might like it (as opposed to getting eliminated the next morning I mean). Most of this crew -- like our members tournaments -- love hanging around and visiting and also sweating matches and matching up. I don't think it would matter a lot if more of us were eliminated that first day, either for the senior event or our member tournament!! I know I'm there for duration no matter what personally, but I saw many players stick around even though they were eliminated.

Actually -- if we are really worried about players being eliminated the first day, just hold a 2nd chance tournament!! Just don't hold the second chance tournament until you truly have tables available without slowing down the main event.

The duration of any of these tournaments is a basic function of how many rounds there are, and how long they take. There are more one-loss rounds than there are winners rounds, and that to me is why you HAVE to go ahead and play those early one-loss rounds as soon as you can if you want to keep your overall schedule moving. Even if that means a couple of players might end up going home early. They might stay too.

Simple as that -- except the other thing is having a back up plan in place in the event you have any real slow matches. :D:D

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i would like to suggest this again as an idea for consideration
make each match or game have specific time limit
the rule would be that who ever is ahead at the end of the allotted time for the game or match would be declared the winner
just an idea that doesnt make any special rules changing the game,,ie gradys rules or go to 6 (which i sill like as an option )