Unforgiven

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I think this is one of the greatest movies I've ever seen. When I saw it first all I saw were poolplayers that I knew. Are you in it?

Are you "Skinny", protecting the honor of those girls, as long as they work for you? We know what happened to him.

unforgiven1.jpg

Are you the up & coming young shooter who's acting tough and ready to back it up? We know how he ended up.

unforgiven2.jpg

Are you "English Bob", a killer, laying down insults & hoping that somebody will draw on you so you can shoot them? Have you convinced a newspaperman of your authenticity so he will write your biography?

unforgiven3.jpg

Are you "Little Bill", who takes great pleasure in knocking down false stories, but is also a killer, all the while having his eye on the writer?

unforgiven4.jpg

Are you the writer, who has been taken in by stories and writes whatever will make him a dollar?

unforgiven5.jpg

...continued in next post...

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Are you Ned? The partner to many killings who just can't do it anymore.

unforgiven6.jpg

Are you William Munny, the egoless, practical man who is only looking to provide a better life for his children? He says "You better bury Ned right, you better not cut up nor otherwise harm no whores or I'll come back and kill every one of you sons of bitches".

The townsfolk know he means it.

unforgiven7.jpg

Are you a man of notoriously vicious and intemperate dispositon? There will be nothing on your marker to explain to others.

unforgiven8.jpg

Who are you? That's all that really matters in the end.

Dennis

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I don't recall. Anyway, I don't do those things anymore.
Clint did his magic with Unforgiven. Powerful, powerful acting and directing.
Imo he has made his greatest movies as a director. Mystic River is my favorite and it is as well done as any movie ever made. Towards the end where his wife and Penn are watching the parade after Sean Penn has murdered his boyhood friend, she glorifies his protecting the family.
Then Kevin Bacon asking about Robbins
Cop: When did you last see Dave?
Penn: Last time I saw Dave was when he rode off in the backseat of a car when he was eight.
Although this movie had a very strong cast, the story was never overshadowed by the stars. I was emotionally done leaving the theater.

Betdapot

Verified Member
"Sir you just killed an unarmed man!" "well if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend he shoulda armed himself"

"Any man that don't want killed better head on out the back door"

"You sir be William Munny killer of women and children" "I killed everything that walked or crawled at one time or another and I'm here to kill you little bill"

CaptainHook

Verified Member
From
Flamingo,St.Pete FL.
I would just be a cash paying customer of Greely's Beer Garden and Billiard Parlor, and I dont drink beer, and they burned the tables for firewood. :lol

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I liked it, but I was a big fan of Augustas McRae and Woodrow Coll.
They were good guys. Blue Duck was the bad guy. Ancient relation to our own Duck.
Rod.

P.S. Texas Rangers

Attachments

• Tex.Rangers.jpg
    Tex.Rangers.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 0

Jimmy B

Verified Member
They were good guys. Blue Duck was the bad guy. Ancient relation to our own Duck.
Rod.

P.S. Texas Rangers

They had a good take on justice=right and wrong. I can always lose myself in movies like that and put myself in a certain characters place. I remember a chill went through me when they caught up with the sod busters killers and Call says "Get your boots on" Did you ever see 'Broken Trail' ?? When the Duvall character, Print, and his nephew took care of Typhoid Bob AKA Jack Ketch, who traded blankets infected with diseases like TB typhoid etc. YUK. You gotta be hard up to make a buck to do that shit. I mean damn........

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Rod.

P.S. Texas Rangers

I watch Lonesome Dove at least 5 times a year and have since I bought it.

Woodrow: What are you going to do with legs? You never work anyway.

Gus: I like to kick a pig every now & then.

The absolute greatest death scene I've ever seen. Two true friends.

Dennis

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Lonesome Dove was so good and so moving that I cant take watching it again. There were just too many melancholy, moving crying scenes. Stringing up their old road pal. The death scene. Bringing Augustus's body back home, etc. It was a great, great series, and a great, great book. Nothing else he wrote came close to Lonesome Dove, however.

Shane, on the other hand, if I ever land on it changing channels, I cant go any further.

Same goes for, The Wild Bunch, Rio Bravo, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, and Tombstone.

Westerns were always my favorites, and Robert Duvall is as good as anybody in them.

Beard

"Yer a low down Yankee liar!" "We want Angel!" "There's a man's work ahead of us, lads." "I'm yer huckleberry." "Yeah, and nobody ran in here either, did they!" "He was fast, Joey, fast with a gun." "You better pull that smoke-wagon!" All-time great movie lines.

Last edited:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I'm your huckleberry

I'm your huckleberry

I never understood about this phrase, so I Googled it today, having nothing better to do. (It's raining) One guy I found claimed that the word was 'hucklebearer', huckles being the handles on a coffin - thus a pall bearer. Have you heard this before? Seems like a good explanation.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Lonesome Dove was so good and so moving that I cant take watching it again. There were just too many melancholy, moving crying scenes. Stringing up their old road pal. The death scene. Bringing Augustus's body back home, etc. It was a great, great series, and a great, great book. Nothing else he wrote came close to Lonesome Dove, however.

Shane, on the other hand, if I ever land on it changing channels, I cant go any further.Of course you couldn't, the farmers wife wanted to nail him...right up your alley...except you'd have done it:p In the "Shane" remake, "Pale Rider", Eastwood did indeed nail the woman.:eek:

Same goes for, The Wild Bunch, Rio Bravo, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, and Tombstone.

Westerns were always my favorites, and Robert Duvall is as good as anybody in them.

Beard

"Yer a low down Yankee liar!" "We want Angel!" "There's a man's work ahead of us, lads." "I'm yer huckleberry." "Yeah, and nobody ran in here either, did they!" "He was fast, Joey, fast with a gun." "You better pull that smoke-wagon!" All-time great movie lines.

Lonesome Dove is in a class by itself and I say this while looking at shelves in my computer room that house at least 150 westerns, all original store-bought editions, no copies except for "Open Range" that a friend gave me.

Robert Duvall is great in it as always. He was good in Joe Kidd with Clint and he's good in any western.

Open Range has a very long but very good gunfight at the end and my favorite line in it comes when Costner & Duvall are hunkered down behind a wagon. Costner is telling him just how he figures things to unfold.

Duvall: It sounds like you've got it all figured out.

Costner: Yeah, except for the part where we don't die.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uFarFM9sow[/ame]

That's not my favorite film-ending shootout though. I'd have to choose between Fonda & Bronson at the end of "Once Upon A Time In The West" and Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef & Wallach at the end of "The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly". I usually lean towards OUATITW. You can't go wrong with Sergio Leone directed movies and Ennio Morricone providing the music.

I saw "Once Upon A Time In The West" when it came out in theaters when I was a kid but had forgotten it until I watched it again. One scene in particular reminded me that I'd seen the film before. Here's an evaluation of the film:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsTsgX-rojY&feature=related[/ame]

The gunfight at the end of "The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly" may be equal to Fonda's & Bronson's gunfight though. I also have this with spanish captions at the beginning where they show "il bueno", il cattivo, & il brutto":

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXldafIl5DQ[/ame]

Although it was a partial comedy "My Name Is Nobody" (again with Fonda) also had a great theme & was a great flick on it's own. If you can watch this without laughing you'd better check your pulse:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkCqSHwhKVg[/ame]

Dennis

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I watch Lonesome Dove at least 5 times a year and have since I bought it.

Woodrow: What are you going to do with legs? You never work anyway.

Gus: I like to kick a pig every now & then.
Dennis

Woodrow to the crowd "I can't stand rude behavior in a man, I just wont tolerate it "
Rod.
P.S We could use him on this site.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I never understood about this phrase, so I Googled it today, having nothing better to do. (It's raining) One guy I found claimed that the word was 'hucklebearer', huckles being the handles on a coffin - thus a pall bearer. Have you heard this before? Seems like a good explanation.

Huckleberry used to be what you called your sweetheart.

Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Woodrow to the crowd "I can't stand rude behavior in a man, I just wont tolerate it "
Rod.
P.S We could use him on this site.

I think it was, "rude behavior in a bartender...."

Beard

I have seen Lonesome Dove twice all the way thru and parts of the third time, but I cant watch Gus die again.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Westerns aye.....

Westerns aye.....

....well then,what was Hopalong Cassidy's first name?[In the show].........

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
No it was when the army scout was whipping Nate with a quirt in Ogalla and Coll ran over him on his horse and almost beat him to death with a branding iron.
Rod.
P.S.Gus scolded the barkeep in San Antonio.

Yep.
imdb said:
Woodrow Call: [after beating a man nearly to death for hitting Newt he climbs on his horse and looks at the horrified towns people] I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.

Dennis