Two-pocket, one pocket table from Diamond?

Skin

Verified Member
There is an interesting thread over at the other site where the guy from Diamond talks about some new tables, including 10 footers and a two-pocket only table for 1p. It's worth a read...well, what he has to say anyway. :D Looks like the 1p prototype will be on display at Tunica.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=275254

Skin

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Is there even one person in the world that wants to play one pocket with only two pockets?
It's not a new idea -- Brunswick apparently did it back in the 20's. You can read about it here:

http://www.onepocket.org/Corners.htm

But it is a very interesting idea. I'd give it a try for sure. It is great to see Diamond experimenting with different ideas.

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Is there even one person in the world that wants to play one pocket with only two pockets?

At the Cue and Cushion in North Miami in the 60s, they had a 10 foot table with only 2 pockets. Very tricky to play on, there was a kid I could play 10 to 8 on a regular crown and I couldnt beat him on that table. Without other pockets it is a completely different game (anything frozen on the long rail is an easy bank back into your pocket for example).

Beard

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
Whereat

Whereat

Did they send the one 5 x 10 that went to GA.... anyone know?

Also .... really doubtful a room owner is going to purchase a table with 2 rather than 6 pockets at a premium .... or even cut rate price. They still have to bust the nut based on cents per hour per square foot day after day. I can recall walking into the Palace in the mid 70's and there might be action on the 6x12 (as I recall they had 2 ... long time ago and I did get loaded back then) .... 5-6 around $5 -$50 pay ball or 4-5 way golf .... normal every day stuff. In the last twenty years I have seen perhaps 10-12 6x12s and z e r o action on any of them. A 6x12 takes a lot of space .... as does a 5x10.

Someone on AZ mentioned heaters .... do not even think about it ..... nothing personal but pockets and caroms are two different cats .... 9 ball/10 ballers would be driven to suicide by heated equipment ... it is all about the stroke.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
At the Cue and Cushion in North Miami in the 60s, they had a 10 foot table with only 2 pockets. Very tricky to play on, there was a kid I could play 10 to 8 on a regular crown and I couldnt beat him on that table. Without other pockets it is a completely different game (anything frozen on the long rail is an easy bank back into your pocket for example).

Beard

I played on one of these before and it is a completely different game. Banks without having to worry about scratches. It was a nightmare to get behind in ball count and not have the option of getting balls back into play by putting them back on the spot.
The thing I remember the most was how adept the players that were used to the table could kick at balls to their hole that were near the corners with no pockets. Without a possible scratch many things could be done in that area.

Skin

Verified Member
Did they send the one 5 x 10 that went to GA.... anyone know?

Also .... really doubtful a room owner is going to purchase a table with 2 rather than 6 pockets at a premium .... or even cut rate price. They still have to bust the nut based on cents per hour per square foot day after day. I can recall walking into the Palace in the mid 70's and there might be action on the 6x12 (as I recall they had 2 ... long time ago and I did get loaded back then) .... 5-6 around $5 -$50 pay ball or 4-5 way golf .... normal every day stuff. In the last twenty years I have seen perhaps 10-12 6x12s and z e r o action on any of them. A 6x12 takes a lot of space .... as does a 5x10.

Someone on AZ mentioned heaters .... do not even think about it ..... nothing personal but pockets and caroms are two different cats .... 9 ball/10 ballers would be driven to suicide by heated equipment ... it is all about the stroke.

Dave, I think the idea is a single 9 footer with 3 sets of replaceable rails - one for pool, a set for the 1p table, and a set for 3c. According to the Diamond guy, these could be changed out in about 5 minutes. The pitch to room owners is as a 3-in-one table, good for tourneys, etc. The 1p table supposedly would have appeal in Asian rooms and be a bridge between 3c and pool for those guys (not sure how that reasoning works).

Skin

bstroud

Verified Member
They had 2 one pocket only tables with just 2 pockets in the old Joplin, MO pool room.

They racked the balls at the end with no pockets. Tough game.

Bill Stroud

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Dave, I think the idea is a single 9 footer with 3 sets of replaceable rails - one for pool, a set for the 1p table, and a set for 3c. According to the Diamond guy, these could be changed out in about 5 minutes. The pitch to room owners is as a 3-in-one table, good for tourneys, etc. The 1p table supposedly would have appeal in Asian rooms and be a bridge between 3c and pool for those guys (not sure how that reasoning works).

Skin

3 cushion is played on a ten foot table.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
I played...

I played...

...on a 9' billiard table many years ago.It was no fun,couldnt give me the table and I prefer 3C to all games,cheers,B

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Over in Europe years ago, I saw several 7' bar-box sized carom tables. I doubt that they played 3C on them-- probably just caroms. They were probably used for the same reasons that BB pool started in the U.S.: to make the game easier for casual players. They may have even had 2 reds, for the 4 ball game.

Doc

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Over in Europe years ago, I saw several 7' bar-box sized carom tables. I doubt that they played 3C on them-- probably just caroms. They were probably used for the same reasons that BB pool started in the U.S.: to make the game easier for casual players. They may have even had 2 reds, for the 4 ball game.

Doc

Yeah, in the movie "Amadeus" there is a scene where Mozart played by Tom Hulse is writing music while throwing a billiard ball 3 rails and catching it repeatedly. This looked to be a bar size table. Also, at Ft. Mackinac on Mackinac Island in Lake Huron off the shores of Michigan, there is a billiard table left over from the days when the fort was really a fort. It also is a small one.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois

Doc

When I was stationed in Germany in 59-61, I was in a billiard club in Stuttgart Germany that had carom tables ranging from 3 1/2 x 7 up to 5 x 10.

Beard

Greyghost

Verified Member
From
Lafayette, LA
They had 2 one pocket only tables with just 2 pockets in the old Joplin, MO pool room.

They racked the balls at the end with no pockets. Tough game.

Bill Stroud

Bill its been about 5 years since I been there but when I was living in Tulsa we used to go there all the time and always played on those tables. If that pool hall is still there then I'm sure those 2 old corners tables are there as well.

-Grey GHost

zach

No more corner tables

No more corner tables

I live close to Joplin, MO and the pool hall was called J-Town unfortunately it was lost in the last tornado. To my knowledge it was the last in the area to have a corners table.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I live close to Joplin, MO and the pool hall was called J-Town unfortunately it was lost in the last tornado. To my knowledge it was the last in the area to have a corners table.

That is a darn shame! I remember reading about the tornado going through that area & a lot of lives lost :(:(