Tush hog from Dallas

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
If he's a pool player it's probably Vernon Linten.(sp) It's been a long time.
Rod.
PS; Bully, Was a better descripiton. There were a lot of real tough guys around there then.

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Thats him

Thats him

androd said:
If he's a pool player it's probably Vernon Linten. It's been a long time.
Rod.
PS; Bully, Was a better descripiton. There were a lot of real tough guys around there then.

You are right Rod, That is a young Vernon Litton (sp) He could be a tush hog, but I agree "bully" is a better description. He was a pretty good "spot picker"
He did not fool around with guy's like Charley Boyd, George Mc Gann, Billy T Dyer, or Stanley "the Creeper".

There was a Tush Hog pecking order in Dallas, and he rarely crossed that line.

I witnessed him get into a scuffle with Surfer Rod, at the Cotton Bowling Palace, it somehow wound up out on the lanes, and after a few punches were thrown, Rod got him in a killer head lock, and held him there 'til the cops came. Rod was around for a few days afterward, and Vernon gave him a wide berth.

I have a hilarious story about him and Jack Taylor, which is too lengthy for here...but it will be in DWTD...by the way, I have not recieved your advance order yet ? 'sup wi' dat..:p

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
SJDinPHX said:
He did not fool around with guy's like Charley Boyd, George Mc Gann, Billy T Dyer, or Stanley "the Creeper".
George, Billy T, and Stanley were sweet unassuming guys. Charlie was a little different ! Also add R.D.Mathews to your list.

SJDinPHX said:
I have a hilarious story about him and Jack Taylor, which is too lengthy for here...but it will be in DWTD...by the way, I have not recieved your advance order yet ? 'sup wi' dat..:p

I thought it was a Ho-Ax. Is Jack Taylor your Agent and Publisher.:) I thought it was the Boy Dennis .:D
Rod.

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
SJDinPHX said:
You are right Rod, That is a young Vernon Litton (sp) He could be a tush hog, but I agree "bully" is a better description. He was a pretty good "spot picker"

There was a Tush Hog pecking order in Dallas, and he rarely crossed that line.

I witnessed him get into a scuffle with Surfer Rod, at the Cotton Bowling Palace, it somehow would up out on the lanes, and after a few punches were thrown, Rod got him in a killer head lock, and held him there 'til the cops came. Rod was around for a few days afterward, and Vernon gave him a wide berth.

As usual, Dick is quite correct. Vernon Litton is the guy's name. He's 82 now and when I talked to him on the phone the other day, he said that Billy T. Dyer was "the toughest guy" he knew back in those days in Dallas. As for Charlie Boyd, when I asked Vernon about Charlie back in about 1963, Vernon told me that if Charlie ever told or ask me to do something, I should comply immediately. I figured that if Vernon was wary of Charlie, I should be double wary.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
BillPorter said:
As usual, Dick is quite correct. Vernon Litton is the guy's name. He's 82 now and when I talked to him on the phone the other day, he said that Billy T. Dyer was "the toughest guy" he knew back in those days in Dallas. As for Charlie Boyd, when I asked Vernon about Charlie back in about 1963, Vernon told me that if Charlie ever told or ask me to do something, I should comply immediately. I figured that if Vernon was wary of Charlie, I should be double wary.

Charlie was the brother of O.U. All american and Baltimore Colt all pro, Bobby Boyd.
Rod.
PS, Charlie occasionally robbed people over the phone. He robbed people in the restroom of the cotton bowling palace. He came out and ordered coffe and told the victims to leave. :)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
BillPorter said:
As usual, Dick is quite correct. Vernon Litton is the guy's name. He's 82 now ...
Bill, if Vernon is 82 now, I'm guessing that the picture was taken in the late 1950's...? I'd forgotten that there were Pit Bull dogs then.:D

Doc

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
androd said:
Charlie was the brother of O.U. All american and Baltimore Colt all pro, Bobby Boyd.
Rod.
PS, Charlie occasionally robbed people over the phone. He robbed people in the restroom of the cotton bowling palace. He came out and ordered coffe and told the victims to leave. :)

Yep, Bobby Boyd was Charlie's brother. I think Bobby was from Garland, Texas.

I was there when he robbed two old school pool hustlers -- Don Watson and Sleepy Joe Cosgrove. He had marched them back to the little bathroom at the back of the billiard area, robbed them, and told them to stay back there for 30 minutes. He came out of the bathroom counting the money and went into the restaurant area and sat down. Watson emerged from the bathroom a few minutes later and when he saw Charlie sitting in the restaurant, he fled back to the bathroom.

In my opinion, the thing that made Charlie so dangerous was that you couldn't aways predict when he might turn violent on you. He once unloaded a revolver into a packed restaurant, trying to shoot someone he had a beef with -- miraculously, no one was hurt, including the person he had been shooting at.

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
gulfportdoc said:
Bill, if Vernon is 82 now, I'm guessing that the picture was taken in the late 1950's...? I'd forgotten that there were Pit Bull dogs then.:D

Doc
When Vernon was asked his age at the time the photo was taken, all he could remember was that he was in his 20s. He was 33 when I first met him and that was back in 1962 or 63.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Dallas

Dallas

As much as I was inexorably drawn to horrible "heat" spots with Sugar Shack Johnny Novak, after hearing the stories of the Cotton "Bowl" from our other road partner, Three-fingered Ronnie Sypher, I made sure Dallas was never included in our repetoire. I had heard all of the Charlie Boyd stories from Ronnie, he was hanging at that time with Titanic's son and living in their house. If Charlie would have ran his act on Sugar Shack there would have been an immediate killing, us or him. Sugar Shack was one of those rare people who did not allow himsel to get stuck up, or even intimidated by guns. You had to kill him because he wasnt going to pay off. I seen that come down personally twice (Trueloves in OK city and Joe Burns Forest Park Billiards in Ohio), and know of several other incidents of the same. He is amazingly still alive today and has only been shot once (in Atlanta). When he recovered, he gorilla-ed the shooter in giving him big money.

the Beard

Anybody notice how I now have to include bibliographies, indexes, times, dates, and exact places just to tell a short story? If needed, and for further background authentication you can PM me for direct access to more living witnesses.

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
fred bentivegna said:
As much as I was inexorably drawn to horrible "heat" spots with Sugar Shack Johnny Novak, after hearing the stories of the Cotton "Bowl" from our other road partner, Three-fingered Ronnie Sypher, I made sure Dallas was never included in our repetoire. I had heard all of the Charlie Boyd stories from Ronnie, he was hanging at that time with Titanic's son and living in their house. If Charlie would have ran his act on Sugar Shack there would have been an immediate killing, us or him. Sugar Shack was one of those rare people who did not allow himsel to get stuck up, or even intimidated by guns. You had to kill him because he wasnt going to pay off. I seen that come down personally twice (Trueloves in OK city and Joe Burns Forest Park Billiards in Ohio), and know of several other incidents of the same. He is amazingly still alive today and has only been shot once (in Atlanta). When he recovered, he gorilla-ed the shooter in giving him big money.

the Beard

Anybody notice how I now have to include bibliographies, indexes, times, dates, and exact places just to tell a short story? If needed, and for further background authentication you can PM me for direct access to more living witnesses.
Freddy, from what I have heard (and read) you say about Sugar Shack, I guess if he and Charlie had a serious beef, the outcome would have depended on which one had his gun out first. If Charlie was already holding a gun, which would not have been unusual, and Sugar Shack had nothing in his hands, I'm taking Charlie and laying some pretty juicy money odds.:)

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Tried to PM for witnesses Fred, but I am on "ignore".;) Good to see you confining your brag to 2nd or 3rd parties though..:D

Alfie Taylor always called Vernon "our resident "Neandrathal". He told me Billy Stroud once set him off with some comment about being afraid to play him (Billy) with a big spot...Whereupon Vernon grabbed him, and scrubbed his face in the thorny bushes just outside the front door. Vernon then walked over to his car, laughing like hell, as he drove off.

Alfie said Billy came back in, looking like he'd just lost a fight with a wildcat, and in his high pitched voice said, "Ya know th-th-that goddamed Vernon is c-c-crazy"...:eek:

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
SJDinPHX said:
Tried to PM for witnesses Fred, but I am on "ignore".;) Good to see you confining your brag to 2nd or 3rd parties though..:D

Alfie Taylor always called Vernon "our resident "Neandrathal". He told me Billy Stroud once set him off with some comment about being afraid to play him (Billy) with a big spot...Whereupon Vernon grabbed him, and scrubbed his face in the thorny bushes just outside the front door. Vernon then walked over to his car, laughing like hell, as he drove off.

Alfie said Billy came back in, looking like he'd just lost a fight with a wildcat, and in his high pitched voice said, "Ya know th-th-that goddamed Vernon is c-c-crazy"...:eek:
Dick, over on AZ, Billy Stroud chimed in on the thread with Vernon's photo. I couldn't resist bringing up the "face in the bushes" episode, but I admitted that my memory might be faulty about that event. Actually, I don't think I was there when it happened and just heard about it.

Skin

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:

the Beard

Just of historical interest - ex-Chicagoan Jack Ruby used to take some of his strippers bowling there after his joint closed. That place must have been a real piece of work late at night. 180 degrees different than at the other times.

Oh...and Jayne Mansfield was there for the grand opening. Mansfield used a gold bowling ball, carried in a mink bowling ball bag, and rolled it at 10 gold pins.:)

Skin

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
androd said:
If he's a pool player it's probably Vernon Linten.(sp) It's been a long time.
Rod.

Rod and Bill, check out my last post on AzB...any recall on that issue ???

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=2473485&postcount=28

Ain't it fun to rehash the old days ? (except for the guy's who are 23, they wish we'd go away)

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Skin said:
Just of historical interest - ex-Chicagoan Jack Ruby used to take some of his strippers bowling there after his joint closed. That place must have been a real piece of work late at night. 180 degrees different than at the other times.

Oh...and Jayne Mansfield was there for the grand opening. Mansfield used a gold bowling ball, carried in a mink bowling ball bag, and rolled it at 10 gold pins.:)

Skin
I recall the names of a couple of those strippers -- Chris Colt, "the girl with the 44s" and Toi Rebel. I saw Jack check his pistol with Frank Murphy at the counter on more than one occasion. And yes, Jayne Mansfield was there at the opening, but the strike that she bowled was rigged. The pins were connected with a wire. I guess you could say that sort of set the tone for the cons and scams the place became a home for.

Skin

Verified Member
BillPorter said:
I recall the names of a couple of those strippers -- Chris Colt, "the girl with the 44s" and Toi Rebel. I saw Jack check his pistol with Frank Murphy at the counter on more than one occasion. And yes, Jayne Mansfield was there at the opening, but the strike that she bowled was rigged. The pins were connected with a wire. I guess you could say that sort of set the tone for the cons and scams the place became a home for.

Bill, apparently there was an old guy named the Silver Fox who hung out there, also. Do you know anything about him? In those days I was just a kid and hadn't taken up pool yet, so the few times I went there (on YMCA outings :)) I wasn't aware of any of that scene. Just bowling, eating, and "racing" the lights on the side of the building.

Skin

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Skin said:
Bill, apparently there was an old guy named the Silver Fox who hung out there, also. Do you know anything about him? In those days I was just a kid and hadn't taken up pool yet, so the few times I went there (on YMCA outings :)) I wasn't aware of any of that scene. Just bowling, eating, and "racing" the lights on the side of the building.

Skin
The person you are referring to was Robert Clayton Burrell. He was also known as Georgia Slim. I knew him pretty well and took one road trip with him and Vernon to Monroe, Louisiana. I think Slim played a young man named Johnny Sheppard, but I'm not sure of that name. Slim couldn't beat him and we went back to Dallas with no net profit.

I still recall being in Slim's apartment when he unwrapped a brand new Rambo pool cue he had just gotten in the mail from Herman Rambo. The cue had two shafts and cost Slim a whopping $35!

You had to be pretty swift to beat those lights on the side of the building. And even "swift" wasn't enough if the bet was high enough because someone found a way to hack the wiring of those lights and they could be sped up enough so that even Usain Bolt wouldn't have beat the lights around to the front of the building.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
SJDinPHX said:
Rod and Bill, check out my last post on AzB...any recall on that issue ???

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=2473485&postcount=28

Ain't it fun to rehash the old days ? (except for the guy's who are 23, they wish we'd go away)

Danny Mathews and I played a lot of pool. R.D. staked him last time we played. I wouldn't have recognized him from the picture, at all. He moved to kentucky I think, and stayed some years. When he returned he was a heavy drinking bookmaker. I also played Littlebear, who was mentioned in that thread. I thought his name was Danny also, but the poster said Calvin. Maybe he was using an alias :p LOL
Rod.
PS, I always thought Slim's name was Burroughs. I loved him.