Tush hog from Dallas

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Bill,

Glad you are doing well. So am I.

Still have the Lymphoma but am OK at the moment.
My eyes have returned to normal and I can play again.

Do you ever hear from Alf?

Sure miss the Cotton Palace days.

Bill S.

Billy,

Good to hear from you. I also miss the Cotton Palace days and still think of them often. It would be great to see you and reminisce. I keep up with Alf and with Bobby Stephens and saw Alf (for the first time in 50+ years!) in the summer of 2016.

Glad to hear you are still able to play pool. I have about lost interest in the game. Here's a link to a video showing a game of one hole I played with Alf when we visited him and Judi in 2016: https://youtu.be/XcKEZOudPuA

I managed to win the game despite twitching, twisting, and one stroking a couple of shots.

Best Regards,
Bill

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
... Here's a link to a video showing a game of one hole I played with Alf when we visited him and Judi in 2016: https://youtu.be/XcKEZOudPuA

I managed to win the game despite twitching, twisting, and one stroking a couple of shots. ...Bill
Nice video of you and Alf. And your room is really good looking. I've got to try more of that "steering" technique. It sure works great for you! Nice shooting...:)

~Doc

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Nice video of you and Alf. And your room is really good looking. I've got to try more of that "steering" technique. It sure works great for you! Nice shooting...:)

~Doc
We were playing in Alf's Moroccan rug store in Tucson, AZ. And yes, "steering," or by its technical name, "body English," is (or was) an important element of my One Pocket game. :):)

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
We were playing in Alf's Moroccan rug store in Tucson, AZ. And yes, "steering," or by its technical name, "body English," is (or was) an important element of my One Pocket game. :):)
Oh, now I understand. I THOUGHT that was a pretty fancy home rec room...:D

Yes, "body english". And I've picked up a few pointers..;)

~Doc

Richard Jenkins

from: Tush hog from Dallas http://www.onepocket.org/forum/forum...-dallas?t=4005
"You are right Rod, That is a young Vernon Litton (sp) He could be a tush hog, but I agree "bully" is a better description. He was a pretty good "spot picker"
He did not fool around with guy's like Charley Boyd, George Mc Gann, Billy T Dyer, or Stanley "the Creeper".
DANG! This is like running into a page out of the history of my life. I used to run with these guys back in the middle to late '60s. Vernon and I hung out at some of the clubs in the thread you guys are talking about, plus the Loser's Club on Lover's Lane, and Soul City, etc. Stanley Cook and I used to play chess in his apartment and exchange war stories while he recovered from his gun shot wound, and Vernon and I worked out together at the health club in Preston Center. I recall when George McGann was shot and killed out in Big Spring, and Vernon and I jumped in his red Porche 911 and traveled to George's funeral at 165 MPH … scared living shit out of me, but Vernon always had that sadistic streak. I had to threaten to beat hell of of him before he'd slow down … even then he was laughing his ass off at me … LOL!
Yeah, Vernon was a damned good pool player at any game. I saw him win a load of money at six and nine ball, or hell, at any pool game.

I know I'm coming in on the tail end of this, but felt obliged to jump-in with my little bit.

Last edited:

bstroud

Verified Member
Richard,

I don't remember you from the Cotton Bowling Palace days or at the Haskel pool room where I first played Vernon.
Should I?

Bill Stroud

Richard Jenkins

12-08-2019, 02:36 PM
Richard,

I don't remember you from the Cotton Bowling Palace days or at the Haskel pool room where I first played Vernon.
Should I?

Bill Stroud

I dunno, Bill,

I met lots of Vernon's friends, and your name sounds familiar. You might've known me as Vernon's karate buddy. I ran the Texas Karate Institute across from SMU. I, also, hung out with Dave MacIntosh, who owned a men's clothing store in Preston Center, and went on a few trips with Ty Thomas (Titanic Thompson) and his son, Tommy, across Louisiana, Mississippi, Atlanta, and to Nashville, and West Texas, when they lived up in Colleyville … Tommy and I were roommates for a coupl'a years.
I'm white-haired now with a trimmed white beard, but in those days I was about Vernon' height, clean-shaven, and fit, with blond hair and a big smile.
Vernon took me to a bowling alley a few times, and to the pool hall to watch him and others play pool. I played, but shot an average stick … this may be why you don't remember me. Vernon taught me to play nine-ball, too. All I'd ever played was 15-ball rotation.

Last edited:

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
Bill, I don't think I ever met Vernon, but Puckett told me stories about him.

One was that at Forest Park Bowl in Ft. Worth( now Romano's Italian restaurant), if you made a score, pool or bowling, Vernon would follow you into the bathroom, rob you, and then go back out to the action just like nothing happened. He said you knew better than to say anything, just the price of doing business when Vernon was around. People who are just a little older than me and live in Dallas, probably have a lot more stories.

Last edited:

Richard Jenkins

Well,
Vernon was one of a kind, and if he liked you he'd be your friend, but if he sensed you were weak, look out! He was definitely a predator, but had a very wry personality and rather abusive sense-of-humor. Yeah, I've seen him do stuff like that. I recall once when Vernon introduced me to a friend of his who owned a horse ranch north of Plano, and because he carried a wad of money he bet at the quarter horse races Vernon talked his friend into hiring me as his bodyguard. When we went to the racetrack Vernon bet with several other guys with bodyguards I could whip theirs. Seeing how short I was they took him up on it and they started some trouble with the guy who hired me and I had to step-in between them. They, of course, told their bodyguards to take me out, but I whipped shit out of them.
Only trouble is, Vernon did not tell me about it until later, after it had happened. He and his horse owner friend had a great laugh about the money they had won betting on me and spit it with me. I was pretty mad about it, but Vernon could be a charming guy and talked me out of being pissed … it all turned out alright, but I refused to bodyguard for the guy again. I think Vernon had quite a bit of respect for me after that, or al least acted a bit more reverent toward me, but it seemed he held few people in high regard.
Vernon and I got along great, but he really had a mean streak, and regardless what anyone says, he was one tuff-assed tush hog and a no-nonsense guy!

Last edited:

bstroud

Verified Member
I don't remember Vernon ever robbing anyone.

He was a fierce competitor playing pool and had a temper that could go off at any moment but he always paid.
He respected me as a pool player but hated me because he could never beat me playing pool.

I always liked him anyway. We had some great battles playing 9 ball.
Bill Stroud

Richard Jenkins

I don't remember Vernon ever robbing anyone.

He was a fierce competitor playing pool and had a temper that could go off at any moment but he always paid.
He respected me as a pool player but hated me because he could never beat me playing pool.

I always liked him anyway. We had some great battles playing 9 ball.
Bill Stroud

You're right, Bill,
Vernon had a temper and he didn't like losing at anything. As far as the robbing thing, he would do it when the guy had won by cheating … he detested cheaters, liars, braggers, and phonies. In those days, Vernon was closed mouthed about whatever he did, and trusted few individuals, and he could be a quiet guy, too. Always watching and taking-in … could be a great friend or a terrific enemy.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Richard,

Thank you for posting. I love hearing real stories about the guys who you ran with and the history of hustlers/gamblers. It sounds like you probably have some good Titanic stories as well. Please feel free to share if you like. Would love to hear more. Mitch Brown.

BillPorter

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Richard,

Should I?

Bill Stroud

Billy, I don't recall him either but after Googling him I know why. He didn't move to Dallas until 1965. Here's a link about him: https://www.usadojo.com/richard-w-jenkins/

I was back in college by the summer of 1963. I don't recall the year that they removed the pool area from Cotton Palace, do you?

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Billy, I don't recall him either but after Googling him I know why. He didn't move to Dallas until 1965. Here's a link about him: https://www.usadojo.com/richard-w-jenkins/

I was back in college by the summer of 1963. I don't recall the year that they removed the pool area from Cotton Palace, do you?

Good to see you posting, Bill. Hope things are going well for you! Don't be a stranger, will ya?..:)

bstroud

Verified Member

Bill,

I remember those days by the cars I had at the time.

I think I had the lotus when the raid came. That would put it in 1964 or there abouts.

Bill