Travelling One Pocket League

Deeman

Verified Member
A fellow one pocket player in Auburn, Alabama is taking about starting a travelling one hole league. I know they do these in 14.1 up North. Anyone have any resources that might help us out, like would a population of only 20-25 players support a league? Handicapping, fees and such?

Is there anyone now doing this or have experience that I might contact? Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Deeman

Verified Member
Hoping someone has more experience and can get us started. Col. BILLIE called and wanted wanted to join but 7 hours was a bit future than even he could drive for a game! :)

We are thinking of some sort of questions sheet to potential players seeing their ideas and general level of local interest.

We shall see.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I've had some conversations locally about this sort of thing, but not quite enough interest to get it going. What I was suggesting was teams of just two players. Those two players presumably would live near enough each other to ride together. Matches would consist of some kind of combination of singles matches, plus partners. That's about as far as I got with it, lol.

Deeman

Verified Member
I've had some conversations locally about this sort of thing, but not quite enough interest to get it going. What I was suggesting was teams of just two players. Those two players presumably would live near enough each other to ride together. Matches would consist of some kind of combination of singles matches, plus partners. That's about as far as I got with it, lol.

Steve,

Now that sounds interesting. The doubling up would make it more a team effort and might, as you say, help in driving expenses.

Thanks, anyone who has any such ideas will be much appreciated ..
I'll update this if it goes anywhere.

See you at DCC.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
You might start by thinking through a format that could be accomplished in, say, 4 hours or less. Then if it is possible, limit the drive to 2 hours max. This would have been easy from Flint, MI and we could have played in a number of cities with 9 footers. It wouldn't be possible in some areas of the country.

Cobra Kai

From
New York, NY
I think anyone taking a 200+ mile road trip called 'The Traveling One Pocket League' must listen to the Traveling Wilburys greatest hits.

Deeman

Verified Member
I think anyone taking a 200+ mile road trip called 'The Traveling One Pocket League' must listen to the Traveling Wilburys greatest hits.

Ace, me and a few others often travel to different parts of the country for two day one pocket marathons as it is a good way to meet other players and see other poolrooms. Done this about half a dozen times and also get steered to some great steak houses.

Ranmar

From
Chicago
Vivian Marran

Vivian Marran

You could easily post all matches here... https://vivianmarran.com/

Once each match is posted the individual players could confirm their participation even pay the "league operator" using credit/debit, securely and in seconds.

Just message me and I will be happy to give you a demo.

It's a brand new site.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Here in Tuscaloosa we have plenty of 1p players, you wouldn't have any trouble getting up matches.

Deeman

Verified Member
Here in Tuscaloosa we have plenty of 1p players, you wouldn't have any trouble getting up matches.

Wish I was a bit closer to Tuscaloosa , but just a bit too far for regular travel.

I am there on occasion so we will have to meet up some day.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Wish I was a bit closer to Tuscaloosa , but just a bit too far for regular travel.

I am there on occasion so we will have to meet up some day.

Birmingham has some strong 1P players as well. Bumpers is a very good pool room with very good 9' Diamonds. You can get action there any time.

If you ever make it back this way, let me know.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Bar Table

Bar Table

Here's another thought. Get a local good one pocket player to start a bar table 10 ball one pocket in house league/leagues. Many of us started off with simple games to then work up to the more difficult ones. No matter the size of table it could create interest, plus you'd have the extra five balls for spottin' em up....ya gotta lead em to water first. Also, hold free question and answer sessions before events, and show high end match play of players that shoot fast after each event to help the fast learners.

Deeman

Verified Member
Here's another thought. Get a local good one pocket player to start a bar table 10 ball one pocket in house league/leagues. Many of us started off with simple games to then work up to the more difficult ones. No matter the size of table it could create interest, plus you'd have the extra five balls for spottin' em up....ya gotta lead em to water first. Also, hold free question and answer sessions before events, and show high end match play of players that shoot fast after each event to

Thanks, Bill. Seems like good advice but I am not so sure about playing one pocket on a little table as I never have and might hurt myself! 😀

Really, we will try anything and the pre-made discussions sound like a good idea.

Thanks

ace

Verified Member
From
Longview, Tx
I enjoy traveling to other places to play one-pocket and not for gambling, but to just to see new places and meet new people who enjoy the game.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I enjoy traveling to other places to play one-pocket and not for gambling, but to just to see new places and meet new people who enjoy the game.

That in itself....is the key to building a successful billiard model, know matter what the format. When its ONLY about the money, your lost right from the beginning. My girls never played for money in ANY sports that they first became interested in. Cash always spends....trophies and recognition of ones accomplishments stand the test of time.

When your around liquor and it's demographics, your pissin' in the wind.